4BT-A Powered Daily Driver CJ-8

thanx guys...i really just wanted everything new. i thought that if im going this far then why not?

Nope, he needed a VIN number.

I haven't researched it, BUT... there'll will likely be just as many issues trying to "re-use" the CJ8 VIN (that won't exactly match states "emissions" info) than applying for new VIN... to match the new build with diesel engine, increased GVW, etc...

but could be wrong :confused:

BTW, nice concept bro! I know a couple folks that have taken old rigs and completely rebuilt them, adding all the stuff THEY wanted in a vehicle.

i havent planned on telling DMV about it. I was just going to cut the vin number off the old tub and rivet it back on the new tub. then put insurance back on it and start driving it again without them having to know about it. my county doesnt do anything but a visual inspection and on top of that it will be 30yrs old soon, then it want matter at all.

please correct me if i'm wrong.

i havent planned on telling DMV about it. I was just going to cut the vin number off the old tub and rivet it back on the new tub. then put insurance back on it and start driving it again without them having to know about it. my county doesnt do anything but a visual inspection and on top of that it will be 30yrs old soon, then it want matter at all.
please correct me if i'm wrong.

sounds like a plan. I wouldn't go to just any old place for the visual inspection, I would make sure I knew the shop was cool with your rig before even showing up. BTW, I don't think the 30yr rule applies now, but after 35 you don't need any inspection.

more progress on the frame!

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020800.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020801.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020804.jpg

I wanna do the same build with an fj45 after college

I wanna do the same build with an fj45 after college

do it man, your project is looking good too. how the dodge treating you? i miss it.

It's treating me pretty well. I took traded the chip for a new set of tires. The tranny thanked me when I did so. I pulled the bed liner out and saw that it one of the PO's had a gooseneck in it and cut it out..left the bolts sticking through the bed. It wasn't even installed correctly. I'm gettin the drivers seat repaded next weekend. Other that...It still gets smokes black and gets alot of looks.

it will be straight Hobart 235 Stickmate all the way! I know it want look half as good as MIG but it will be twice as strong.

How ya figure? Unless your MIG is a 130 amp box...

Neat project!

Very nice tub!! What is the wheelbase you are going with / springs? Wondered if you are going with something heavy enough to do some light towing too?

Was thinking a scrambler with 1 tons / good springs and that diesel might tow a small camper safely!? (Wheelbase being #1 issue)

im planning on stock wheelbase with the wider waggy axles and mabey waggy springs. havent decided on the springs yet. and yes i want to be able to tow some here and there.

I would think you'd be able to apply for a homebuilt title or VIN or something. I just can't fathom paying a few grand for a VIN. But if thats what you had to do then thats what you had to do, let other 8's live on through the parts.

We've got an 81 '8 with waggy D44 front and Scout rear, The front came out quite a bit wider than the rear for some reason. Did scouts ever have a narrow D44?

are you widening the front frame to match the axle perches?

I really want to do a 4BT in my TJ. But doing it this way is nice and it'll all be new.

I would think you'd be able to apply for a homebuilt title or VIN or something. I just can't fathom paying a few grand for a VIN. But if thats what you had to do then thats what you had to do, let other 8's live on through the parts.

We've got an 81 '8 with waggy D44 front and Scout rear, The front came out quite a bit wider than the rear for some reason. Did scouts ever have a narrow D44?

are you widening the front frame to match the axle perches?

I really want to do a 4BT in my TJ. But doing it this way is nice and it'll all be new.

I think the scout 44's are narrower. correct me if im wrong but i think they are like 57" wms-wms. i have a 78 cherokee front 44 61" wms-wms and a waggy rear 60" wms-wms.

i left it about the same width, planning on offsetting the shackle hangers.

you should do it before the prices go up even higher on the 4bt since people are starting to catch on and there are not many to go around.

you should do it before the prices go up even higher on the 4bt since people are starting to catch on and there are not many to go around.

I'm in the same boat but there's no way I'll be able to afford a diesel project any time soon. Gotta finish up the gasser I own now and get rid of it first.

The build you're doing is one of my dream builds, a diesel DD scrambler just makes sense on so many levels. I think I'm gonna try to find someone with a good candidate j20 when I get the new axles under the XJ...

Frame looks really good, btw.

i will be getting some up soon. i have been really busy and cant find the time to work on it.

i cant decide what springs to go with. i only want 33's. i would like to be able to do a spring over. will a spring over with YJ leafs be to big for 33's?

i cant decide what springs to go with. i only want 33's. i would like to be able to do a spring over. will a spring over with YJ leafs be to big for 33's?
tough call, I'd think you would be OK. SOA should get you about 5.5" of lift, but if you replace the stock CJ springs with stock YJ springs, that should bring it down some due to the fact that YJ springs are flatter than CJ. FWIW, I ran 33s on my CJ with 4" SUA lift, and it sat about right, minor rubbing at extreme flex.

so here is whats been going on. i have finished the frame except for all the mounts.:burnout: I took the rear axle and had it sandblasted. i have also been gathering parts.

List:
Dana 300
Rebuild kit
Clocking Ring
29 Spline Input Shaft (NV4500HD)
Advanced Adapters Twin Stick

NV4500HD
4wd Tailshaft Housing
4wd Mainshaft
4bt Adapter Plate
Starter
Southbend Clutch/Flywheel

Front Dana 44
Lock-Rite
760 joints
Warn Premium Hubs
3.73's/master install kit
All new Timken berrings/Seals
Calipers/pads/rotors

Rear Dana 44
Detroit
3.73's/Master Install kit
All new Timken Berrings/Seals
Drums/Shoes/Hardware

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020876.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020878.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020879.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020880.jpg

everything looks great man, congrats! just one question, i know you are probably to far along now to change really, but why didn't you put 60's under it? just seems like they would have been the more appropriate choice for the motor and setup...even though i don't think you are planning on running huge tires but just thought i would ask.

looks good, keep up the progress! by the way, where did ya'll build the shop at?

because 60's are more $$$$.....lol. how you been man? havent talkted to you in a while.

trust me i understand that, just thought i would ask. things are good! finally got a trailer so i can take my junk wheelin, now i just have to find the time/money to go...man growing up is great...:shaking:
you and the family doing good? i haven't talked to you or your brother in quite some time! take care and good luck on your project! how long before you sell it, haha sorry couldn't resist! later buddy

we are doing good. now you know im not as bad as lincoln on selling cars...lol

Con-O, great choice. I put that in the FJ and looks to be a great product!

Back