4BT-A Powered Daily Driver CJ-8

Hammerite_05

OIIIIIO & []IIIIIII[]
4BT-A Powered Daily Driver CJ-8 (Tons of Pics)

And so the long and slow project is about to begin......
1982 CJ-8:
OLD----258 I6, T-176 4-Speed, Dana 300, AMC 20, Dana 30
Project---4BT-A, NV4500HD, Dana 300, Dana 44's, Paint
I do not like any of the new vehicles on the market. I hate how the auto companies make everything disposable these days and very complicated to work on. I especially hate how Nothing is made in :usa: any more :mad:.
My goal is to build a New Vehicle from an old Jeep. I want to use as little foreign products as possible, be fuel efficient, a rock crawler, a daily driver, simple, repairable (not disposable), and to last a long long time!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020268.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020271.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020272.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020275.jpg

Here is whats going in it!!

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_P1020260.jpg

What are your plans, axles, lift etc? Love the Scramblers, always wanted one myself.

My plans are to Do a 4BT-A, NV4500HD, Dana 300, Waggy 44's, Detroit Rear, Loc-Rite Front, 3.73's, Bumpers, Sliders, Skidds, Quarter Panel Guards, Tube Fenders, Cage, New Top/Doors/Glass/Interior, and Paint.

I've almost got it tore down to the frame. i will get some pics up soon, my camera is jacked up.

Is this going to be a driver, or offroader? Nice looking project so far. Hard to find Scramblers in that good of shape.

And so the long and slow project is about to begin......
1982 CJ-8:
OLD----258 I6, T-176 4-Speed, Dana 300, AMC 20, Dana 30
Project---4BT-A, NV4500HD, Dana 300, Dana 44's, Paint
I do not like any of the new vehicles on the market. I hate how the auto companies make everything disposable these days and very complicated to work on. I especially hate how Nothing is made in :usa: any more :mad:.
My goal is to build a New Vehicle from an old Jeep. I want to use as little foreign products as possible, be fuel efficient, a rock crawler, a daily driver, simple, repairable (not disposable), and to last a long long time!
What are your plans, axles, lift etc? Love the Scramblers, always wanted one myself.
Is this going to be a driver, or offroader? Nice looking project so far. Hard to find Scramblers in that good of shape.

did you by chance miss the entire first post? :flipoff2:

made some progress saturday. sorry for the crappy pics, i had to use my cell phone.

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_img025.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_img026.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_img027.jpg

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b266_Hammerite_05_Scrambler_img028.jpg

yeah...when are you coming to help. lol.

just wonderin if its gonna be a crawler/DD why set on 3.73 gears? what tire size do you want? Ive got some waggy d44s if your interested

did you by chance miss the entire first post?

My bad, just saw a build on a Scrambler, got a little excited, and skimmed over the thread. I'm a subscriber.

just wonderin if its gonna be a crawler/DD why set on 3.73 gears? what tire size do you want? Ive got some waggy d44s if your interested

he plans to daily drive it so he is sticking with the 3.73s so it will cruise on the hwy. between the 4bt's torque and the 6.72:1 first gear in the 4500 there will be plenty of low end grunt.

you plan on going full length top on it? If not, I think a stack coming up behind the roll bar would be :huggy:

Staying with leaf springs?

Id think the frame and suspension will need to be beefed to handle the torque and weight of the 4bt

I already purchased my axles. i got a passenger diff 78 cherokee front D44 and a 90 Waggy Rear D44. Front is 61" WMS-WMS and rear is 59" so i am planning on running a 1.5" wheel spacer on each side of the rear.

Yeah i am planning on building a whole new frame out of 2x3x1/4 tubing and mabey useing waggy springs.....but i havent measured them yet.

I cant decide on what top to use. i know i want a hard top since i am going to be driving in everyday. that cummins will be loud enough so i dont really care to throw in a soft top as well. what do you guys think full or half top?

does anybody have a pretty good set of Dana 44 3.73 gear they want to sell?

I already purchased my axles. i got a passenger diff 78 cherokee front D44 and a 90 Waggy Rear D44. Front is 61" WMS-WMS and rear is 59" so i am planning on running a 1.5" wheel spacer on each side of the rear.
Yeah i am planning on building a whole new frame out of 2x3x1/4 tubing and mabey useing waggy springs.....but i havent measured them yet.
I cant decide on what top to use. i know i want a hard top since i am going to be driving in everyday. that cummins will be loud enough so i dont really care to throw in a soft top as well. what do you guys think full or half top?

I dont know if the wheel spacers are a good idea. You generally want the rear a bit narrower than the front, so the rear follows in the front tracks thru turns.
I think a CJ widetrack AMC 20 is 1.5" narrower than a CJ widetrack D30...not saying AMC was the best steering/suspension designer ever, just something to consider. Try it without spacers first, its free :huggy:

you've got a good point

man i like that orange!

Back