What have you done for your health today?

Thank you for the explanation but what I was really asking is how many reps are in your sets? Specifically chinups. I'm trying to figure out just how much of a beast you are.

Yesterday that sequence of chin ups went like this:

10 reps
60 seconds rest
9 reps
60 seconds rest
8 reps
60 seconds rest
7 reps
70 seconds rest
6 reps
80 seconds rest
5 reps
90 seconds rest
5 reps
90 seconds rest
5 reps
Done

I had to start stretching out the rest periods because I had not recovered enough to go again. I just started this plan about a week ago. The idea is to do 8 to 10 sets, each set for 10 reps, with only 60 seconds rest between sets. Obviously I have to reduce the amount of weight that I am lifting. Since I can't reduce my own body weight, I think I am going to stop doing pull-ups and chin-ups, and use the pull down machine with various handles, or use the 'assist' feature of the pull-up and chin-up station/machine so I can still get 10 reps on the last set.

I don't normally lift that way. I typically take longer rest periods between sets, aiming for 5-8 reps on my 'heavy working sets'. I don't know how long I rest, but I wait until I feel recovered. A more typical set of chin ups for me would go like this:

10 reps
rest
8-10 reps with 10 lbs hanging from belt
rest
6-8 reps with 25 lbs hanging from belt
rest
5-7 reps with 35 lbs hanging from belt
rest
5-6 reps with 35 lbs hanging from belt
Done

I weigh 207 lbs right now. I am not that big, nor am I really that strong. I was born with 'skinny' genetics, but have managed to add some muscle.

Last edited:
Eddie Hall is 'The Beast'. Dude deadlifted 500 kg (1,102 lbs).

k52i4mME_400x400.jpg

nor am I really that strong.

So you got that primate strength!? I need to re-evaluate my definition of strong. Lol

Anywho... 3 miles in the treadmill today. Walking at 15:00 pace. Not running yet and won’t be for a while. I’ll hit some weights as soon as I make room in the garage. Later.

Eddie Hall is 'The Beast'. Dude deadlifted 500 kg (1,102 lbs).

Lane swore for years his life goal was to pass him.
He deadlifted 500lbs at 13. At 18 he is "only" up to "8 plates" on a hex bar and 7 on a straight bar.

He was a little disillusioned when he got old enought to learn about HGH and IGF and cruise and blast....these days he say he wants to clean deadlift 900lbs....doubt he ever gets there...but wont deter him

Yesterday that sequence of chin ups went like this:

10 reps
60 seconds rest
9 reps
60 seconds rest
8 reps
60 seconds rest
7 reps
70 seconds rest
6 reps
80 seconds rest
5 reps
90 seconds rest
5 reps
90 seconds rest
5 reps
Done

I had to start stretching out the rest periods because I had not recovered enough to go again. I just started this plan about a week ago. The idea is to do 8 to 10 sets, each set for 10 reps, with only 60 seconds rest between sets. Obviously I have to reduce the amount of weight that I am lifting. Since I can't reduce my own body weight, I think I am going to stop doing pull-ups and chin-ups, and use the pull down machine with various handles, or use the 'assist' feature of the pull-up and chin-up station/machine so I can still get 10 reps on the last set.

I don't normally lift that way. I typically take longer rest periods between sets, aiming for 5-8 reps on my 'heavy working sets'. I don't know how long I rest, but I wait until I feel recovered. A more typical set of chin ups for me would go like this:

10 reps
rest
8-10 reps with 10 lbs hanging from belt
rest
6-8 reps with 25 lbs hanging from belt
rest
5-7 reps with 35 lbs hanging from belt
rest
5-6 reps with 35 lbs hanging from belt
Done

I weigh 207 lbs right now. I am not that big, nor am I really that strong. I was born with 'skinny' genetics, but have managed to add some muscle.
I tried to replicate this chin up pattern today; the results were too embarrassing to post. I had only done dead lifts, squats and bench prior (no pull exercises) so I should have been fairly fresh.

I definitely need to work on rounding out my fitness activities. I've spent most time in the past few years either doing bro style lifting, or killing those gainz with steady state cardio. At times I sprinkle in a bit of HIIT, but that's hard to motivate around since I always workout alone (for lack of any friends). Flexibility and endurance need improvement, I just can't seem to dedicate the time.

I can't wait for some weather appropriate for the MTB. I specifically targeted some leg work over the winter to try and make improvements there.

Today's workout was 20 minutes on the elliptical, and 6 sets of walking lunges with dumbbells superset with 6 sets of upright rows using the EZ curl bar.

Last edited:
I tried to replicate this chin up pattern today; the results were too embarrassing to post. I had only done dead lifts, squats and bench prior (no pull exercises) so I should have been fairly fresh.

I definitely need to work on rounding out my fitness activities. I've spent most time in the past few years either doing bro style lifting, or killing those gainz with steady state cardio. At times I sprinkle in a bit of HIIT, but that's hard to motivate around since I always workout alone (for lack of any friends). Flexibility and endurance need improvement, I just can't seem to dedicate the time.

I can't wait for some weather appropriate for the MTB. I specifically targeted some leg work over the winter to try and make improvements there.

I don't think I would have much left in the tank for chin ups if I had dead lifted, squated, and benched prior. That sequence of chin ups was my first exercise, and I had been eating all morning long. I was fresh with plenty of fuel in the tank. I also do both pull-ups and chin-ups every week, and have been for years, so I've slowly built the strength.

I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. I should really do some yoga or something. It is terrible how limited I am with movement.

I wish I had time to MTB after work. I used to do some of that back before my son was born. Someday I will do it again.

8 sets of incline dumbbells, 5 sets of dips, 4 sets of decline dumbbells, 5 sets of skullcrushers with the EZ curl bar, and 4 sets of french press with the double rope on the machine. I did those incline dumbbells slow. My chest and shoulders were pretty smoked after just that exercise.

Today the Harrisburg F3 guys put on a Spartan training session. I felt good while doing it, but damn I was hurting when I got home. Doing pull-ups at home is paying off. I’ve been worried about the rope climb because I don’t have a rope climb at home, but I watched a lot of videos on technique and went right up it.
All in all, this may have been the most fun workout I’ve done. Spartan race coming up April 7.

B646F7C3-2E9F-4464-BC46-A9343FE51679.jpeg

This morning I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, followed by 15 minutes on the incline treadmill.

Did 19.3 today. 10 min clock, 200ft walking lunge with a 50lb dumbbell in an overhead position, 50 dumbbell box step ups, 50 strict handstand push-ups, 200ft walking handstand.

Made it to 8 strict Hspu which was a win for me. I’ve been working on them but never strict. My glutes and hamstrings are already feeling it.

All last week was my hunting trip, averaged 7-8 miles a day with a rifle and a pack so my fitness kept up. This year felt a lot better and didn’t have to take as many breaks as in years past.

Did 19.3 today. 10 min clock, 200ft walking lunge with a 50lb dumbbell in an overhead position, 50 dumbbell box step ups, 50 strict handstand push-ups, 200ft walking handstand.

Made it to 8 strict Hspu which was a win for me. I’ve been working on them but never strict. My glutes and hamstrings are already feeling it.

I got 1. Which is exactly as many as I thought I would.
Off the box at 7:31. Sat on box for 2 minutes. 1 HSPU. I can’t strict press for shit.

I got 1. Which is exactly as many as I thought I would.
Off the box at 7:31. Sat on box for 2 minutes. 1 HSPU. I can’t strict press for shit.

Pretty sure I got off the box at 6:50 or so, I was done with the lunges at 2:34. My wife did it early as scaled and repped out 14 HSPU from a 5" target. She's never been able to do them before but she crushed it. I can't walk today or sit down today...the pain is real.

Stating Weight -318.2 (12/27)
Last Week -282.4
This week - 281.2
Total loss: 37 lbs

Weekly weigh in.
Definitely starting to feel a plateau. Actually had a random 3lb gain one day this past week. To be fair actually gamed the system a bit and only ate 1 time yesterday to force a progress drop this week just to get back under. No steps back. Diet staying on point, workout is intermittent at best. Took a tumble off a piece of equipment last week and fell about 15 feet to the ground with numerous abrupt stops and deflections along the way. Little stiff and bruised so not much in the way of working out. Sucks getting old.

The early "rush" of fast movement on the scale is giving way to the slog of the grind...but the mission is too important to be abandoned.

Today I did 8 sets of wide grip pull-ups, 6 sets of underhanded rows on the machine, 5 sets of straight arm pull-downs, and 6 sets of bicep curls with the EZ curl bar.

Took a tumble off a piece of equipment last week and fell about 15 feet to the ground with numerous abrupt stops and deflections along the way. Little stiff and bruised so not much in the way of working out. Sucks getting old.
Just think, if you had been rounder, with more padding, you probably wouldn't have even felt it!

Just think, if you had been rounder, with more padding, you probably wouldn't have even felt it!

LOL....ad no btw didnt fall off the IH....

LOL....ad no btw didnt fall off the IH....
That was my first thought, but then I decided that 1. It was not 15ft tall, and 2. Because of the shape of it, you would have fallen straight from the lid to the ground which would have almost certainly resulted in a broken bone or worse.

Nothing yet but hope to get a couple miles in after the kids go down. The doc said nothing’s too bad, just muscle or ligament issue. Said I wasn’t 18 anymore and to quit doing dumb stuff. Okay.

Nothing yet but hope to get a couple miles in after the kids go down. The doc said nothing’s too bad, just muscle or ligament issue. Said I wasn’t 18 anymore and to quit doing dumb stuff. Okay.

I didn't see what sort of "back/neck" issue you said you had (if you did), but there's a lot of truth to back problems fundamentally being due to weakness. Fix the weakness, fix the back problem. A lot of docs (and most any "chiropractor") will tell you that you've got degenerative disc disease. You know who else has degenerative disc disease? Everybody else your age.

I didn't see what sort of "back/neck" issue you said you had (if you did), but there's a lot of truth to back problems fundamentally being due to weakness. Fix the weakness, fix the back problem. A lot of docs (and most any "chiropractor") will tell you that you've got degenerative disc disease. You know who else has degenerative disc disease? Everybody else your age.

No argument there. I’m weak in the back for sure. I have a pulled muscle or something at the base of my neck. I’m looking side to side and up and down like Batman. Been rough for a few weeks so I figured I’d get it looked at. Got some meds for it and hopefully I’ll be moving weight soon.

My doc actually said that today. “You and everybody else your age”. in other words, don’t be stupid.... don’t be a puss. Lol

Thanks

Back