Return of the 7.3 SD

Heres the deal, new 1/2 tons can move the weight sure. But I want to be able to control and stop the weight.
This past weekend we all had to stop very fast when one of the trucks in our group to Harlan. I was glad to have plenty of brakes for that stop.

Then, on the return trip, @D2320M had his trailer smack a bridge column and get a little sideways. In that moment he didn’t get a second chance to have a big enough truck to have the planted weight, suspension and brakes to handle that.

No wonder all your guys stuff has trail damage you can’t get it in a lane going down the interstate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres the deal, new 1/2 tons can move the weight sure. But I want to be able to control and stop the weight.
This past weekend we all had to stop very fast when one of the trucks in our group to Harlan. I was glad to have plenty of brakes for that stop.

Then, on the return trip, @D2320M had his trailer smack a bridge column and get a little sideways. In that moment he didn’t get a second chance to have a big enough truck to have the planted weight, suspension and brakes to handle that.

I really don't want to open this can of worms again...but that's also where I'd say drivers these days have gotten spoiled. Modern curb weights pushing 8k+ on 3/4 ton plus trucks, with mile long wheelbases. Sure it's nice, and I prefer it. But, there are still plenty of guys on the road today that are managing 8-10k loads with pre-2010 trucks...and the new 150's certainly outperform the pre-2000 trucks and in most cases would yield the same weights and wheelbases. I'd hook my wife's new expedition to an 9k trailer before my 96 350 crew cab...a truck that at one point in time was the cats ass and I was hauling 5 ton dies back and forth to Freightliner and Hickory Springs weekly with. But that doesn't mean the new 6.7 dually doesn't do a better job than both of them.

I really don't want to open this can of worms again...but that's also where I'd say drivers these days have gotten spoiled. Modern curb weights pushing 8k+ on 3/4 ton plus trucks, with mile long wheelbases. Sure it's nice, and I prefer it. But, there are still plenty of guys on the road today that are managing 8-10k loads with pre-2010 trucks...and the new 150's certainly outperform the pre-2000 trucks and in most cases would yield the same weights and wheelbases. I'd hook my wife's new expedition to an 9k trailer before my 96 350 crew cab...a truck that at one point in time was the cats ass and I was hauling 5 ton dies back and forth to Freightliner and Hickory Springs weekly with. But that doesn't mean the new 6.7 dually doesn't do a better job than both of them.

I hear you, and you’re not wrong at all. I just personally prefer more than enough. But I’m fairness I have towed with a half ton to Harlan in the past and was just fine, but doing it with a 1 ton now is so much nicer. And that 1 ton truck is older than the half ton was.

This is waaaaay too civil. Where the heck is @shawn ?!?!

I like Phillip...(also reserving this space for future edits, couldn't decide between 'shawn is a cock' or 'wait until the boomers chime in').

I 100% agree with you on the modern f150 vs 90s 350.
Id rather tow with the new f150 every time.

The one point that gets left out of the discussion..from 1974 to 1995 the nation wide speed limit was 55mph....(well there was a 65 mph exception on certain interstates for passenger cars only from 88-95 )...but I can guaran-damn-tee you if youd been pulling a jeep on a trailer at 70mph down the interstate in 1993...you were getting pulled over.

Thats where drivers ave gotten spoiled. Now they want to pull 15k 75mph, while drinking from a spit bottle and digging on the radio all while talking on the phone.

Thats where drivers ave gotten spoiled. Now they want to pull 15k 75mph, while drinking from a spit bottle and digging on the radio all while talking on the phone.

Guy must have had @BigClay ride in his rig if he's drinking from dip spit bottles.

I have nothing really constructive to add other than I will always tow with a 3/4 ton and up truck, part of that could be the fact I love the looks the Super Duty's.

I see what you did there. That’s funny right there.

I 100% agree with you on the modern f150 vs 90s 350.
Id rather tow with the new f150 every time.

The one point that gets left out of the discussion..from 1974 to 1995 the nation wide speed limit was 55mph....(well there was a 65 mph exception on certain interstates for passenger cars only from 88-95 )...but I can guaran-damn-tee you if youd been pulling a jeep on a trailer at 70mph down the interstate in 1993...you were getting pulled over.

I mean...it's not quite like those 'monster' big cube gas engines from 74-95 could really do more than 55mph fully loaded anyway, with their whopping 2-250hp and 3-350tq ratings. The diesels were worse, and the brodozer guys that 'chip' them today, well...they deserve whatever it is they have coming.

@NickMaul you bought a new 7.3 yet?

It’s a serious dilemma. Part of my soul wants to know how thirsty that motor really is just riding down the highway unloaded, but let’s be real it’s a giant brick like truck so it can’t be any better than 13-14 MPGs if I had to guess.

I wonder what Chris averages unloaded.

It’s a serious dilemma. Part of my soul wants to know how thirsty that motor really is just riding down the highway unloaded, but let’s be real it’s a giant brick like truck so it can’t be any better than 13-14 MPGs if I had to guess.

I wonder what Chris averages unloaded.

5 star tuning is getting 13-14 unloaded and 9 towing in their 7.3 iirc. Granted it's tuned and they are in the flat lands. My truck gets about 10-11 unloaded and 7 towing, but my foot stays in it a lot. Although I doubt you'd get much better taking it easy.

That is the damn truth....and it's all @CasterTroy 's fault for pointing out the fantastic scenery to the left. Seriously though, when I slammed on brakes I was sure we were going to jack knife but the truck handled it like a champ.

5 star tuning is getting 13-14 unloaded and 9 towing in their 7.3 iirc. Granted it's tuned and they are in the flat lands. My truck gets about 10-11 unloaded and 7 towing, but my foot stays in it a lot. Although I doubt you'd get much better taking it easy.

Word. I can live with 13-14 MPG. I think the new 7.3s come with a 40+ gallon tank anyways.

If there is a 6.2 and a 7.3 on the lot and the price is within $3k you know I am buying a 7.3 :D

Word. I can live with 13-14 MPG. I think the new 7.3s come with a 40+ gallon tank anyways.

If there is a 6.2 and a 7.3 on the lot and the price is within $3k you know I am buying a 7.3 :D

Yeah 40+ gallons tank is nice to have when your towing in single digit mpgs.

THe local dealership told me they have on on order. I have yet to see one. If you get one Nick post up.

I haven’t seen the ford dealerships on my area advertising the 7.3 very much. The ones I have found are always in the back of the lot. I guess the diesel iron is still hitting good in the sales dept.

Initial thought was the Price tag seemed stiff...but considering I’ve seen used 5.0’s selling for $4-5k without a trans or controller...this actually seems like a decent deal comparatively. As the article says, a little bit of top end work, you’re over 600hp. I’m still thinking Ford will hold true to form and we’ll see a supercharged variant in the next couple years.

Ford 7.3-Liter V-8 Available as a Crate Engine - Godzilla V8 News

Initial thought was the Price tag seemed stiff...but considering I’ve seen used 5.0’s selling for $4-5k without a trans or controller...this actually seems like a decent deal comparatively. As the article says, a little bit of top end work, you’re over 600hp. I’m still thinking Ford will hold true to form and we’ll see a supercharged variant in the next couple years.

Ford 7.3-Liter V-8 Available as a Crate Engine - Godzilla V8 News
I paid, I think, 6500 for the Ford motorsports 363 crate engine in the 65.
More hp/tq and lighter and would actually fit in a 1st gen stang...

But the upper limit of the 7.3....ahhh yes.

I'm wanting to build a 65 fastback with shaved shock towers just thinking about it...

Back