Return of the 7.3 SD

Seriously wanna know what this goes for

If the guys selling the takeouts all the time are any indication...$6-7k seems to be the norm. Pretty sure engine alone from Ford is like an $8k crate engine, figure another $2-3k for trans, plus transfer case. So I'd imagine a 200 mile takeout, the reserve is probably somewhere around $8k. With the primary limiting factors being eyeballs on the auction and no shipping.

If the guys selling the takeouts all the time are any indication...$6-7k seems to be the norm. Pretty sure engine alone from Ford is like an $8k crate engine, figure another $2-3k for trans, plus transfer case. So I'd imagine a 200 mile takeout, the reserve is probably somewhere around $8k. With the primary limiting factors being eyeballs on the auction and no shipping.
Crate motor from Ford is $7K. 7.3L V8 430HP SUPER DUTY CRATE ENGINE I've read about two different control packs posted. One is this one. OBR Ford 7.3 V8 'Godzilla' Engine Control Pack - OBR Control Systems Inc $3550 The other one I read about was refereed to as a Coyote control pack.

While that is certainly on its own a great amount of power (before the failure), in a world of 2500hp no prep cars it seems ho-hum. Truly a great time to be alive in the power world.

While that is certainly on its own a great amount of power (before the failure), in a world of 2500hp no prep cars it seems ho-hum. Truly a great time to be alive in the power world.
I don't know anything about drag racing but this is a stock motor with a cam and a turbo. From what I do know big power take big bucks and not on stock parts.

Holdener made 1500 on a SBE LY6 6.0 repeatedly.
He's a master at his craft though and I don't expect people to emulate that easily.

Personal gut is that anything past the 600hp mark with a modern engine (LS, Coyote, ...) has an exponential cost/hp ratio. Getting to 550/600 is pretty simple, but passing this threshold get expensive.

To stay in the topic, a buddy of mine bought a 7.3 gas last year and is selling it now. He said he loved it and it did great for a gas burner, but having owned a 6.7 before, he got spoiled and they don't even compare. He's going back to a diesel.

To stay in the topic, a buddy of mine bought a 7.3 gas last year and is selling it now. He said he loved it and it did great for a gas burner, but having owned a 6.7 before, he got spoiled and they don't even compare. He's going back to a diesel.
I feel like this is a big differentiating factor. If you don't know any better, the 7.3 is fine. If you're running around with a light load on the back, the big gasser gets the job done. But if you're really putting down miles and fuel economy affects your bottom line, or you're using torque instead of horsepower because you need to keep 20-30k pounds chugging along, the diesel is much more capable. I think an Ecoboost 5.0/6.2/7.3 would solve the power/torque issues, but the fuel economy would be unbelieveably low. For many people, the 7.3 is better suited, and thats the great thing about having options.

I don't know anything about drag racing but this is a stock motor with a cam and a turbo. From what I do know big power take big bucks and not on stock parts.
I’m not denigrating the 7.3, I’m a fan. What I’m getting at is that 950hp seems tame in this day and age.

I built a 472” low deck for my 70 Dart and in 1990 it was a monster at 500+ real hp. Now any clapped out 4th gen F body can make that with bolt ons.

Time marches on.

Isn't it's true demographic fleet services anyway?
Yes, more pointedly fleet services that have grown tired of multi-thousand dollar repairs on diesels.

I feel like this is a big differentiating factor. If you don't know any better, the 7.3 is fine. If you're running around with a light load on the back, the big gasser gets the job done. But if you're really putting down miles and fuel economy affects your bottom line, or you're using torque instead of horsepower because you need to keep 20-30k pounds chugging along, the diesel is much more capable. I think an Ecoboost 5.0/6.2/7.3 would solve the power/torque issues, but the fuel economy would be unbelieveably low. For many people, the 7.3 is better suited, and thats the great thing about having options.

That was originally the basis of why I hated on the 7.3. It seemed like too narrow of niche. Folks that want/need a diesel will get a diesel...and I personally felt the 7.3 didn't do much different than the already available gas options. But...ya know...big v8 go vrrrooooom. So it's growing on me.

That was originally the basis of why I hated on the 7.3. It seemed like too narrow of niche. Folks that want/need a diesel will get a diesel...and I personally felt the 7.3 didn't do much different than the already available gas options. But...ya know...big v8 go vrrrooooom. So it's growing on me.
Personally I think the 6.2 is about to get dropped or replaced and maybe even more. Rumors are around that Ford is working on a smaller version of the 7.3 and testing turbos on it on the SD. 6.8-Liter ‘Windsor’ Pushrod V8 Coming to 2022 Ford Mustang, F150: Report

I don’t know how true this is, but I was told Friday that Ford has stated by 2025 they won’t be making anymore internal combustion engines. Full electric. I’m not sure I believe it, but the owner of my company told me that so I smiled and nodded my head.

I don’t know how true this is, but I was told Friday that Ford has stated by 2025 they won’t be making anymore internal combustion engines. Full electric. I’m not sure I believe it, but the owner of my company told me that so I smiled and nodded my head.
Yes some are saying this is a last hu ra from Ford but yet California has asked people to not charge cars during peak hours. Yea electric cars are the answer to global warming.

That maybe true for "light duty" trucks and suvs. But i just cant see construction type companies buying full electric fleets of f250/f350s

Isn't it's true demographic fleet services anyway?
Was on the a truck outfitter/manufacturer’s lot Sunday and the ton based trucks ready to be delivered were 3:1 gas to diesel. Didn’t matter the brand. They’re sick of the downtime. Luckily for them the lease changeovers going to auction are going to cash in big time on the market right now.

That maybe true for "light duty" trucks and suvs. But i just cant see construction type companies buying full electric fleets of f250/f350s

I agree. That may be fine for passenger vehicles but fleets and towing needs aren’t gonna be met with electric.

No way. They may offer more EVs than they do currently but for millions of American drivers an EV won’t work for their needs. I’m not anti-EV, I think for the right folks it is a great option.

A fellow on arfcom did the math between a Tesla and a Camry. I believe the electricity was figured at $0.12kw and the fuel was like $2.50. The Tesla costs 1/3 the Camry as far as $/mile.

Of course EVs have there own extra costs such as a replacement battery at some point but maintenance costs are much lower. Tesla is trying to launch a battery exchange service that may mitigate the battery issue.

I can't believe the grid could possibly handle much more electric charging
Just imagine in texas early this year when so many people were without power for such an extended time, would have been a disaster when emergency services and utility workers couldn't respond due to dead batteries in there vehicles.

At least I'd never have to hear another mustang making terrible noise forever trying to get out of it's own way.

I agree. That may be fine for passenger vehicles but fleets and towing needs aren’t gonna be met with electric.
I LOL'd when they did the whole electric 18 wheeler thing. ok back on track... I for one hope the rumors about the 6.8 are true. The 7.3 has really exploded IMHO. I did learn that the 7.3 comes with the 6r100 in the van world and something else. Trucks get the 10r100. At least I think that is what they are called. I think I said this but any Modular transmission can bolt up they share the same bolt pattern at least. It's got me to thinking what manual would work. I assume the ZF6 not sure on what else Ford used in the past.

I can't believe the grid could possibly handle much more electric charging
I know a solution and I know a guy :laughing::D:flipoff2:

Actually its really funny/interesting....Ive just been awarded a project in the last 45 days thats is a large scale municipal level storage project. The project is sort of a proof of concept, today, financially it wont make any sense. But if it works then it could scale, and if it doesnt' Ill still cash my commission check so...

Anyway essentially the plan is large, institutional sized battery storage, huge, or in Orange Mane HUUUUUGE....anyway the point is it will draw/charge/fill in low demand times and grid supplement in high demand times. Its backed by energy utilities because it allows them to distance themselves from the micro grid movement, from co-gen, from peak shavings, etc...if they own they grid, the plant and the storage...they can also determine their peak efficiency generation point and cruise there, lowering their cost per GW to produce, and of course not reducing their customers purchase price.

Its interesting. It isnt green, and I dont buy that, but it is potentially game changing.

NDA prevent me saying who my trade partners are are what region of the SE the project is in or when it will be online...but I consider myself very fortunate to be apart of this project just from the knowledge and experience Im gaining...its crazy when you look at a field of solar arrays and another field of storage cells (you dont call them batteries that pisses the nerds off)...and then you start to hear the day dream/long range plans of....what sits under PV cells today? What if you can double the efficiency of the real estate? when you are tlaking 100+ acre industrial sites real estate costs are a real factor....

anyway back to the topic at hand.
BIG PUSHROD V8= GOOOOOD, Very very goood

Back