Return of the 7.3 SD

From that article:
Then there's serviceability—in a number of ways, the 7.3 is similar to the 6.7-liter Power Stroke, so technicians won't have a totally new engine they'll need to learn.
They are similar in the same way a 350 Chevy is similar to a modern diesel. I mean, other than the block, crank, pistons, heads, fuel injection system, ignition system, turbo, and emissions crap, they are pretty much identical... :confused:

Nice...throw 5k at that thing and it makes the same power as a junkyard 5.3 1000$ in mods. Ford so silly

For those of you impatient like me...fast forward to about 9 minutes for the results. But intake/cam/mild port work put this just below 600hp. I know factory numbers are a bit underwhelming, and I was a hater to begin with, but seems to have a ton of untapped potential. Really curious what real world factory block/rotating assembly can be pushed to.

Ford 7.3L Godzilla Engine Dyno Results, Teardown & Comparison to Coyote & 351 Windsor "Part 1 of 2"

They'd be more accurate if they compared to an LS motor. That's what it closely resembles, just a big cubed one.

Up here, the power company switched from buying diesels to buying gas trucks, because the trucks were rusting away while the diesel powertrain was still good. A 500,000 mile engine does no one any good in a truck that has rusted away by 200,000 miles.
Folks are figuring out that diesels aren't cost efficient for most fleets. Gas motors now last just as long, cost thousands less up front, cost FAR cheaper to maintain/repair throughout their lives, and have the added bonus of not having to live with a stanking arse diesel for several hundred thousand miles. Any advantages a diesel used to have are pretty much gone.

Folks are figuring out that diesels aren't cost efficient for most fleets. Gas motors now last just as long, cost thousands less up front, cost FAR cheaper to maintain/repair throughout their lives, and have the added bonus of not having to live with a stanking arse diesel for several hundred thousand miles. Any advantages a diesel used to have are pretty much gone.
Yes, diesels are pretty much useless. Especially for towing. The extra load just wears them out faster.

Yes, diesels are pretty much useless. Especially for towing. The extra load just wears them out faster.

Soon there will be F150 EcoBoost's towing all trailers on the way to Harlan

Last edited:
Hate to say it but a 2019 F150 eco boost has 700 lbs higher towing capacity than a F250 V10.
Yeah and the new 1 tons have almost the same capacity as a class 8 truck if you believe the manufacturer.

Yeah and the new 1 tons have almost the same capacity as a class 8 truck if you believe the manufacturer.

The implications of that comment only work if you believe manufacturers were ‘telling the truth’ in previous years. Meaning, the EB 150’s capabilities are a lie, but the V10 250’s are accurate.

Last edited:
The implications of that comment only work if you believe manufacturers were ‘telling the truth’ in previous years. Meaning, the EB 150’s capabilities are a lie, but the V10 250’s are accurate.
Its was more of a stab at the comical numbers they put on trucks these days. I just don't think a 1ton truck should be rolling down the road at over 18 tons.

A “car guy” tried to convince me to buy a F150 EB over a F250 for half an hour because they can “tow the same weight.” I guess he doesn’t understand the concept of GVWR :flipoff:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well GVWR is actually the weight rating without a trailer, so he's not wrong. GCWR or payload would probably illustrate your point a little better. Completely off hand I'd bet a 250 gvrw is probably 2500lbs heavier than a 150, but curb weight is probably 2000lbs heavier too. But I'm one of those f150 fan boys (or my wife's expedition) that would/does pull upward of 10k with them. That's the upper limit I'd go, and I do have dually one ton diesels for a 'better tool scenario'...but I wouldn't hesitate to go new half ton if you play below the 10k line.

Last edited:
A “car guy” tried to convince me to buy a F150 EB over a F250 for half an hour because they can “tow the same weight.” I guess he doesn’t understand GCVWR Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres the deal, new 1/2 tons can move the weight sure. But I want to be able to control and stop the weight.
This past weekend we all had to stop very fast when one of the trucks broke down in our group to Harlan. I was glad to have plenty of brakes for that stop.

Then, on the return trip, @D2320M had his trailer smack a bridge column and get a little sideways. In that moment he didn’t get a second chance to have a big enough truck to have the planted weight, suspension and brakes to handle that.

Last edited:
Back