Return of the 7.3 SD

I guess I am one of the only people here who is excited about the larger displacement gas engines making a come back?

All I have to do is wait till these new trucks are 15 years old so I can afford one!!!!!

I’m excited...just think it’s going to be niche for the near future. Guys that care about big cubes are either going to be in your boat or say a $5k carbed build is cheaper than a $40k truck. So that leaves big cube fleet gassers that’ll be less than 10% of trucks sold, guys that just have to have the new thing, and old men that want a new truck to tow their camper but don’t require a diesel. Then you’ll have whatever Ford force feeds the dealerships until the 6.2 is phased out. That’s my prediction anyway.

Can we get back to discussing the actual engine instead of boring financial opinions and fleet management? I swear if it’s not engineers wrecking my day, it’s an engineer and an accountant ruining my favorite website. THEN, I have to go home to my accountant wife!!!

Sarcasm inserted since I deal with engineers all day and married to an accountant.

Seriously though, this engine is interesting. We all know it’s a pissing contest between the big three, but now its blessing over into from the diesel market into the gas. I’m interested to see it wind up in a mustang with a supercharger or turbo at some point.

I’m interested to see it wind up in a mustang with a supercharger or turbo at some point.

Now that's what I'm screamin'! Not going to lie, I've been wanting Ford to introduce something to compete w/ the CTS-V for a while (thinking re-vamped Taurus SHO w/ the 5.0 BOSS motor, or...[see Phillip's comment above].

I mean, the Dads of the world still need to be cool and stay young. The adrenaline junkie in me gets the best of me more times than not.

I think something awesome to rival the CTS-V would be one of those luxury Lincoln cars with a Shelby motor, or this new engine with a sporty tune. Maybe even a 6 speed trans, either true manual or even padal shifters.

Could you imagine that 7.3 with a nice exhaust and a cam? And there’s another thing... putting a cam in the mustang engine meant multiple cams and quite a bit of work. Going back to a single cam inside the block opens up the option of “affordable” head & cam packages. Albeit, that depends on if Ford decides to do more with this engine than just a truck, then the aftermarket will get behind it too.

I think something awesome to rival the CTS-V would be one of those luxury Lincoln cars with a Shelby motor, or this new engine with a sporty tune. Maybe even a 6 speed trans, either true manual or even padal shifters.

Could you imagine that 7.3 with a nice exhaust and a cam? And there’s another thing... putting a cam in the mustang engine meant multiple cams and quite a bit of work. Going back to a single cam inside the block opens up the option of “affordable” head & cam packages. Albeit, that depends on if Ford decides to do more with this engine than just a truck, then the aftermarket will get behind it too.

And then your cheap butt will buy one in 2031 with 498,578 miles on it :flipoff2:

Seriously though, this engine is interesting. We all know it’s a pissing contest between the big three, but now its blessing over into from the diesel market into the gas. I’m interested to see it wind up in a mustang with a supercharger or turbo at some point.

Since about the time the 3.7 V6 and the new 5.0 came out, I've been drooling to see what new technology could do in larger cube applications. The 7.3 is interesting tech, but old tech...fuel injected (whether tbi based or with ford applications can build yourself an sefi set up with factory off the shelf parts), cam in block, push rod engines with 500hp/500tq (or more), getting 15-20mpg, have been done with quite a bit of frequency for the last 20-30 years with 40-50 year old engines (not to mention LS swapping the world). Now, to me, the cool part is, you can get all that with modern amenities with modern drivability, in a turn key package. And personally for me, as a retail consumer, I'd be much more excited to see this in 'sport applications'...like sport luxury cars or a Raptor or some 'sport edition' of a lowered/short bed/reg cab 150. In a 250/350, I don't think I'd seriously consider it until I was looking for a cheap 15-20 year old truck.

Since about the time the 3.7 V6 and the new 5.0 came out, I've been drooling to see what new technology could do in larger cube applications. The 7.3 is interesting tech, but old tech...fuel injected (whether tbi based or with ford applications can build yourself an sefi set up with factory off the shelf parts), cam in block, push rod engines with 500hp/500tq (or more), getting 15-20mpg, have been done with quite a bit of frequency for the last 20-30 years with 40-50 year old engines (not to mention LS swapping the world). Now, to me, the cool part is, you can get all that with modern amenities with modern drivability, in a turn key package. And personally for me, as a retail consumer, I'd be much more excited to see this in 'sport applications'...like sport luxury cars or a Raptor or some 'sport edition' of a lowered/short bed/reg cab 150. In a 250/350, I don't think I'd seriously consider it until I was looking for a cheap 15-20 year old truck.

Say maybe, a Ford Lightning? How cool would that be?? The return of the Lightning with a supercharged 7.3!

Say maybe, a Ford Lightning? How cool would that be?? The return of the Lightning with a supercharged 7.3!

Exactly...maybe I'm jaded, but 500+hp/500+tq in a big heavy truck just doesn't do much for me any more...it still responds, drives and acts like a big heavy truck. It just happens to be able to pass it's own shadow.

My take is the diesel Market has finally reached a static point where benefit vs cost and maintenance is swinging to a negative. Manufacturers have taken something that was consistently productive and made it unreliable although High performing. The diesel power plant in the modern pickup is now an unreliable hot rod. Marketing and Market segment has driven it to its impasse.
I think Ford realizes this and now wants to debut the larger power plant to satisfy a more rational need.
Moreover when numbers outweigh rationality who wouldn't want a huge 7. 3 liter
monster.;)

I dare say the overall lifetime maintenance and cost of operation would almost balance out.
Purchase price, repair cost, and fuel mileage just isn't where the diesel ought to be anymore

Exactly...maybe I'm jaded, but 500+hp/500+tq in a big heavy truck just doesn't do much for me any more...it still responds, drives and acts like a big heavy truck. It just happens to be able to pass it's own shadow.

That 7.3 would be fun though in a Regular Cab Short Bed 2wd F-250 though. Along with a Mustang and the F-150.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, this could be a good contender for a swap once (if)they produce enough of them and the prices drop.

I think there is a lot of armchair quarterbacking in this thread.

I'm curious to see how this plays out, this could be a good contender for a swap once (if)they produce enough of them and the prices drop.

'All the rage' in my groups are coyote swapped Broncos and 2wd short bed 100/150's. Those guys are dropping $10-15k on drivetrains. I bet the first wrecked 2020 7.3 will pull a kings ransom, but I think I'll chip in just to see the swap.

That does read as though we have had issues, and that wasnt my intent.
'Those guys are dropping $10-15k on drivetrains.

Crap Ive got that much in my Mustang set-up.
And its an old school solid pushrod SBF and manual trans....

That does read as though we have had issues, and that wasnt my intent.

Crap Ive got that much in my Mustang set-up.
And its an old school solid pushrod SBF and manual trans....

Oh I'm sure...but remember that's just the take out price. A SBF and 4spd take out will run you under a grand. Add some turbos/super charger, a bottom end to handle either, a top end to match...and you're looking at a $30k engine under the hood of a $5k rig...haha. Then probably another $4-5k into the trans.

What's this take out you speak of :D
And you are missing a couple gears ;)

Back