Random Thoughts.....

I do it with an 8ft ladder, seems pretty easy. And I'm 5ft-nothin. But I'm also dumb as a stump and have good balance.

Well...when you simplify it like that...haha. I'm just used to reaching up, taking one out, putting a new one in. Now I have to go to the shed, get a ladder, move furniture out of ladders way...hope today isn't the day the ladder decides I exceed the weight limit, change the bulb, put ladder away...leave furniture where it is for 3 weeks until the wife finally nags me enough to put it back where it belongs...just in time to move it again to change the next light bulb over...and start the process over. First world problems and whatnot.

Just got a call from my drywaller, he was doing final touch up to do finish paint tomorrow..... apparently the electrician steeped threw the ceiling and didn't think he should call me..... fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many people think about what a pain in the ass it will be to change lightbulbs in a house with 12' ceilings. I didn't.
I don't know what I'm going to do when this one goes. I'm pretty sure they're compact flourescent, and we don't use it much, but they've been there for 9 years...

2017102520.jpg

Couldnt get the pic to rotate, but small landing and stairs continue up to the right.

I thought I had typed this before bt a quick search didnt find it.

When I was doing resi work for myself (so 99-02) we did a huge house in Ballantyne Country for this cool eccentric dude. He was retired as an electrical/electronic engineer after a career with lockheed martin and either the faa or nasa or some such. (I remember being fascinated because the dude had a picture of him shaking the hand with like 8 or 9 Presidents and IIRC 1 or 2 were clearly in the whitehouse.)

The house was full of neat things. Industrial motor ceiling fans, intercom systems with PTT buttons all over (back then every one of those buttons required wiring and made me money)...by far the coolest thing this guy had was this elaborate chandlier for his foyer. I cant really describe it well, but it wasnt crystals and glass it was stainless and reflectors. Real industrial new deco looking thing. He had moved it to 3 or 4 houses after building and designing it himself ( should have asked to see the UL stamp lol) but it was powered by a single outdoor spotlight bulb held inside this stainless housing at the very top of the fixture that "rained light" down on this contraption. It was unique.

The house was a 2 story with a walk up attic and the attic was boxed around the foyer making a full 3 story Foyer probably a solid 45-50' to the ceiling.

We were made aware of the fixture and just to box and rough in for it and he would bring it to us to hang right before closing.

Maybe 8 weeks out before closing I am meeting with duder to discuss his home theater options and features etc...and in casual conversation I ask, How in the hell are you going to change that light bulb. We will hang the fixture with the scaffolding but you are going to need an A-Frame with a center riser to get to it.....and man a service call to change that bulb is going to be $350.

Dudes face lost all color. He was dumbfounded. Somehow he hadnt considered this. A few days later there is a change order to re work the ceiling down maybe 10" and install a motor hoist and trolley cable to let the light fixture down to facilitate changing the bulb.

Next time I saw him I commented on the change and he was super thankful that I had saved this from tearing his house apart after they moved in. He had apparently intended to incorporate this into the plan all along but had totally forgotten about. So being me I had to ask..."What happens when that motor burns out and has to be replaced?"

He thought for a few minutes and said...That motor has a 10,000 hour service life and it wont be used but what, 3x a year? I'm 70...it'll be some other son of a bitch's problem then"

Hated the design, essentially a tiny winch was supporting this fixture but anytime folks talk about impossible bulbs that comes to mind.

A few days later there is a change order to re work the ceiling down maybe 10" and install a motor hoist and trolley cable to let the light fixture down to facilitate changing the bulb.

Much like candle light fixtures pre-electricity. The house i grew up in had 14' ceilings in the hall (original height, the rest was dropped to 10' in a remodel). The hall had lanterns on a pulley with a rope over to the side wall so you could lower the fixture, light the candle, and hoist it back up. Those fixtures were retrofitted with bulbs at some point and hung by chains doing away with the pulleys.

I don't know what I'm going to do when this one goes. I'm pretty sure they're compact flourescent, and we don't use it much, but they've been there for 9 years...

2017102520.jpg

Couldnt get the pic to rotate, but small landing and stairs continue up to the right.
Short Extension ladder from higher stairs against the wall you face walking down the upper stairs. Btdt. Try log homes. Or painting that same stairway ceiling/walls.

Short Extension ladder from higher stairs against the wall you face walking down the upper stairs. Btdt. Try log homes. Or painting that same stairway ceiling/walls.

Log homes are easy you can screw a board in any exterior wall if it's ruff sawn. Trust me no one will know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was all spray primed but it's only painted as high as we could reach with an extension pole roller.

For the first time in many years, I'm considering getting back into skateboarding. It's about to happen. I was way to good to quit when I did.

Ill sell you my board. Its been collecting dust since 1984. :)
If you saw the skate park we built you would change your mind about getting rid of it. ;)

Shot at an IDPA match today. Was talking with a dude on my squad about hobbies and he mentioned that his BIL was into off roading. So i asked what his name was and Ba zing. @GONOVRIT it was.
Damn small world...
:beer:

Shot at an IDPA match today. Was talking with a dude on my squad about hobbies and he mentioned that his BIL was into off roading. So i asked what his name was and Ba zing. @GONOVRIT it was.
Damn small world...
:beer:
I need to come shoot with you badasses some day!

At some point you have to stop wiping and hope for a good fart to dislodge the milk dud causing the endless streak on the paper as if you had a brown sharpie up your ass (writing end down)

Last edited:
Back