Kodak rock closed?

I posted in one of these threads that got conbined but will again cause i am unsure where it is now,

I have asked for Terry to get back with me about what it will take to get the trail opened back up. So, yes i am trying to get the correct answer as to exactly what it will take to get the trail opened back up. I am waiting her phone call right now. She was in a meeting earlier, but i left a message on her work number / cell phone / and with the front office.
Let me know what i can do to help I have a bobcat with an auger we could use to dig the holes for the guardrails and other equipment also just let me know and I see what I can do.

I brought and CORE donated the first T-posts and wire fencing to be installed at URE several years ago. It was fast,easy, cheap,and effective but Debra nixed it because she thought that some quad rider would get their head cut off if they ran into it.
I too used to be very involved in the politics and workings with the FS but became very burned out very quickly.
The quad riders are 99% of our problem and they give the opposition 100% of their ammunition against us.
I doubt Terry has the authority to tell us that installing guardrail will fix the problem. The trail was it shut down by one persons decision

[quotI="krzyabncanuck, post: 1116457, member: 494"]Thank you Very much for the offer. Would you be willing to take it up the backside of Kodak ?[/quote]
Yeah i have a trailer we could load all the guardrails on and haul it all with us at one time also.

Yes we need to come up with a better way to inform everyone who uses the trails how important it is to stay on them! I think more signs thru-out all of the trail systems will help. There isn't a lot of signs stating this and with todays generation it's not common knowledge like you would expect. ATV guys, first timers and out of towners come and ride around and do what they please. A lot of those guys may honestly not know, most do and don't care, but the more people that understand the better. I will personally donate $100 to start a donation for more signage if we could get the approval for more signs saying "please stay on the designated trail systems" and a short description of why, or something official along those lines. A bunch of bright, visible, 12x12 or whatever signs couldnt cost that much if bought in large quantities. We all know the little orange diamonds aren't doing the trick, maybe it's time to step up and get more serious than a little diamond that every 16 old wants to rip off the tree for whatever reason.
This is just an idea and something I think would help. Shoot I know a sign guy who would probably make them dirt cheap for the cause! Just need the approval and some help.

Yes we need to come up with a better way to inform everyone who uses the trails how important it is to stay on them! I think more signs thru-out all of the trail systems will help. There isn't a lot of signs stating this and with todays generation it's not common knowledge like you would expect. ATV guys, first timers and out of towners come and ride around and do what they please. A lot of those guys may honestly not know, most do and don't care, but the more people that understand the better. I will personally donate $100 to start a donation for more signage if we could get the approval for more signs saying "please stay on the designated trail systems" and a short description of why, or something official along those lines. A bunch of bright, visible, 12x12 or whatever signs couldnt cost that much if bought in large quantities. We all know the little orange diamonds aren't doing the trick, maybe it's time to step up and get more serious than a little diamond that every 16 old wants to rip off the tree for whatever reason.
This is just an idea and something I think would help. Shoot I know a sign guy who would probably make them dirt cheap for the cause! Just need the approval and some help.
And better signs for trail ID half the time you can't see the # on the sign then you have to look at the map to find the name. Really? We can't just have a sign with the trail name already on it?

About signs, what is everyone's thoughts about posting a well written sign at the 2 closed trail sections explaining why it is now closed. While this might not help RML section it may get more people aware about staying on the designated trails to keep everything else open. I don't know it the FS would go for it but seems like it could help to educate the uninformed and add a little reality to the uncaring.

Exactly! I went to Gulches and I knew exactly where I was at and how hard each trail was cause it's all marked clearly! Proper signage could make a world of difference.

On another note guys, I just contacted Fox 8 to see if they might want to cover this and help spread the word about what we need done and how important is is to use the trails properly. I am waiting on a response and will keep everyone updated.

Last edited:
Let me ask a question that I think many are thinking.
Do we have direct written agreement from the FS that when the guardrail is installed on both sides of the trail the trail will be IMMEDIATELY re-opened and accessible?

If not, lets not concentrate and waste our efforst here....sounds like the trail 1 sludge trap red herring

This exactly. If we could get a definitive answer of "if this happens, the trail will reopen" I'm sure we as a community would get it done in no time. But until/unless we get that question answered, it's all just speculation and wishful thinking.

I'm really frustrated. This is a state park/national forest, yet we are responsible for policing it, picking up trash, and working on the trails?

How does that work? How did we get to this point?

If the local library/school/courthouse floods, I'm not responsible for chipping in for materials, picking them up, delivering them and repairing the place. How is the situation at URE any different? I'm tired of constantly being threatened with closure and being guilted into spening my own money and free time into maintaining trails.

I'm really sorry. I like to contribute and be positive, but I'm really frustrated. We get trails/parks taken away and asked to do MORE so no additional trails/parks are taken away. We work harder, give more and get less.

I'll do my best to attend workdays and contribute, but I'll admit I feel like I'm doing it with a gun to my head.

Any news from terry?

This exactly. If we could get a definitive answer of "if this happens, the trail will reopen" I'm sure we as a community would get it done in no time. But until/unless we get that question answered, it's all just speculation and wishful thinking.
i agree..... if we can get an agreement about the rails, they will be up fast.... ill come up whenever n help.. ill even donate. who the heck has the contact info? who can we email about this?

Ive never wheeled there but I went to the work day last weekend. I just got my first wheeler put together and was expecting to stretch her legs there next weekend. Im a little bummed out. Ok... more than a little.

Here is the latest news from Terry. An email will be going out soon to all clubs and then i or someone else can also post that info on here.

From speaking to her tonight here is what i was told.

We are waiting on a few things right now to see how we will go forward. Right now there are about 4 options on the plate. Before we can go forward as a group the USFS has to have their engineer / arch person to come in and see how we can go forward. Found out we put some guard rail up in the wrong place also. It has been talked about going around that area but the money to do that is not there. The best option out there right now is to put up the guard rail, but as of right now we do not have enough, so we can do some here soon maybe if they say we can go forward with that option. The other option is to have a contractor do the work, but again it comes down to money. RIGHT now the closing down permanently is not on the table, but we have to wait on the person from Atlanta say the final say.

So, BLUF ( bottom line up front ) we are waiting on the USFS have some people go thru there and figure out the best option of keeping it open. That is why we did not do anymore work on it this last workday when we had all the people out there to be able to accomplish the most.

Darren, thank you for taking charge of the situation no matter how it turns out( hopefullly for the better). Its tough to get info out there and get dates together. Takes balls to stand up and put youreself out there.

So a person from ATLANTA is making decisions on what goes on in NC.....well doesn't that make it sooo much easier for them to just say, "Close it, doesn't bother me at all, easiest thing to do." Kinda like the government works for us :shaking:

If all these people are willing to work and donate time and equipment where does their money problem come into play?

Good luck people.

You haven't been paying attention.

I know of two local private parks that are currently being threatened with closure, more or less because of Clean Water Act violations.
well you may be paying attention but you'r not getting it. example:eek:ne of the parks you are talking about sometimes has to close if it rains to much in efforts to comply with rules and regulations only to be bad mouthed and have rides canceled because the park may not be open if it rains. all i am saying is we should be more understanding if it cost a little more or there are some problems once in a while.
excuse that little face,don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it

well you may be paying attention but you'r not getting it. example:eek:ne of the parks you are talking about sometimes has to close if it rains to much in efforts to comply with rules and regulations only to be bad mouthed and have rides canceled because the park may not be open if it rains. all i am saying is we should be more understanding if it cost a little more or there are some problems once in a while.
excuse that little face,don't know how it got there or how to get rid of it

Maybe we'd all be better off to take Gulches discussion elsewhere? Perhaps start a new thread?

I know them closing unexpectedly is a concern for me. Either because I'd have to spend the gas money to get down there to have them be closed or have my visit cut short because of weather

Well it seems to me we need to figure out how to apply appropriate pressure to the USFS Atlanta office. Can we do this through our elected representatives, if they will help. I'm sure someone on here is articulate enough to draft a form letter to send our reps and it's easy to get the phone numbers.

Ive never wheeled there but I went to the work day last weekend. I just got my first wheeler put together and was expecting to stretch her legs there next weekend. Im a little bummed out. Ok... more than a little. exjunkie, there are still lots of trails in URE that will let you "stretch her legs", it is not like they are closing the whole place down!​

No word back from Fox 8 yet, if I haven't heard from them by lunch tomorrow I will contact News 2.

Even though we have to wait on the USFS to make the desicion we need to take action for what we still have left. We need to step up the volunteer work and get everyone aware of what's at stake. I'm still all in for the sign idea.

Exactly! I went to Gulches and I knew exactly where I was at and how hard each trail was cause it's all marked clearly! Proper signage could make a world of difference.

On another note guys, I just contacted Fox 8 to see if they might want to cover this and help spread the word about what we need done and how important is is to use the trails properly. I am waiting on a response and will keep everyone updated.
I would be very wary of this. The news media is not always your friend.

Yeah I have thought about how easily this story could be spun against us and want to do all the homework and have the facts before anything is said. I actually think Jason or an older, more involved person may be a better face if they do show interest.

Back