Kodak rock closed?

I agree. Fox 8 is known for twisting stories and airing only what they think will get the most ratings. Sadly our sport is looked down upon by society. Mainly outsiders who only view us as environment destroying rednecks (yes I'm black). I guess our only hope is to be the mature ones and be ready to assist on anything that they ask of us

I may be thinking why to much in to this and I know its a waiting game right now with the FS but I work for Alcoa and as most of y'all know Alcoa owns highrock, tuckertown, Badin and falls lake. Two of witch join URE. Alcoa and the FS has always tried to work hand in hand and Alcoa has even gave URE alot of land over the years. I'm thinking if I can get Alcoa to help out in some way if it gets bad enough it may help. Like I said I may be just day dreaming or thinking out loud but all the help we can get right

I may be thinking why to much in to this and I know its a waiting game right now with the FS but I work for Alcoa and as most of y'all know Alcoa owns highrock, tuckertown, Badin and falls lake. Two of witch join URE. Alcoa and the FS has always tried to work hand in hand and Alcoa has even gave URE alot of land over the years. I'm thinking if I can get Alcoa to help out in some way if it gets bad enough it may help. Like I said I may be just day dreaming or thinking out loud but all the help we can get right
Can they roll out some aluminum guardrail and donate it to Uwharrie?

The money problem comes in for buying the guard rail. That is just my guess. Hell man, i got no earthly clue what is going on here. I am in the dark just like everyone else.

Seems like it would be cheaper to cut a new trail through the forest than buy 1/2 mile worth of guard rail.

It may be worth considering one way traffic if possible to stop off trail damage. Less ammunition for green peace if vehicles do not go off trail

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

It may be worth considering one way traffic if possible to stop off trail damage. Less ammunition for green peace if vehicles do not go off trail

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Traffic direction doesn't have anything to do with it. I can't tell you how many times we've had a quad or dirtbike come up behind us and immediately cut off through the woods before we could pull over to let them by.

Maybe instead if just handing anyone a pass, maybe there should be a system in place where someone explains briefly how important it is to stay on the trails, wait for larger vehicles to pull off, and enjoy your trip. And sign something saying they understand the rules. Then everyone who gets a pass, season or day pass has been informed. What's that an extra 3 minutes? Could make a difference.

About signs, what is everyone's thoughts about posting a well written sign at the 2 closed trail sections explaining why it is now closed. While this might not help RML section it may get more people aware about staying on the designated trails to keep everything else open. I don't know it the FS would go for it but seems like it could help to educate the uninformed and add a little reality to the uncaring.

I think this is a great idea. The sign should state something like this

"This section of RML closed until further notice due to ATV's going off the trail into sensitive areas". That way every fourwheeler rider will know they are directly responsible for the trail closure. I'd bet a lot of them don't even know it is wrong.

Idk if the fine part would be effective, most would probably never pay. But I see your point. I think the key thing here is finding an effective way to inform everyone that uses the trails. ATV guys aren't really on here reading about all this. We all enjoy the trails, we need to find away to all work together. I would push for this idea again, like you said maybe it will get more attention this time.

More signs, and a more formal way to obtain a pass. Very effective in my opinion.

This discussion has been going on for years. Until any and ALL machines have a highly visible identification "tag" on them (like our DMV tags on our legal rigs), there is no way of enforcing rules. A "red quad" doesn't identify anyone. A reporting system needs to be in place and then enforced by ride alongs, patrolling, and stake outs. I used to carry a ranger with me in my Jeep and she gave out many warnings and tickets. Many quads would turn around and run when they saw my rig coming.

So, what do you propose for an idea ?

One of my ideas was to make everyone take the Tread Lightly survey online and print it out and show it when getting a pass either yearly or daily.
Every trail machine that does not have a registered DMV license tag should have a highly visible registration number on it just like boats do. That way you can identify abusers and even take pictures of them driving off trail. The lettering on the trail passes are too small to identify someone without a confrontation.

Every trail machine that does not have a registered DMV license tag should have a highly visible registration number on it just like boats do. That way you can identify abusers and even take pictures of them driving off trail. The lettering on the trail passes are too small to identify someone without a confrontation.

Agreed.

I have been buying passes for years and they just hand it to me. They don't ask for ID or anything. We don't turn a 16 years old loose on a highway without training, why do we turn anyone loose in a national forest?? I'm all for the tread lightly class to get a pass.
Or simply filling out some quick paperwork after informing people of the rules when purchasing a pass. Maybe offer a quick online course and a season pass could be mailed to you at a slightly discounted rate after completion.
Think about it, we literally just hand ANYONE a pass and they just take off. If your under 25 you can't drive a boat without taking the online class. There should be a better system for getting a season or day pass, and I don't think it would hurt the sales at all

The FS has essentially said they can't do this. It's not Chris Cagel's responsibility to decide who can and can not buy a trail pass.

Anyone should be allowed to buy a pass, but everyone should be informed of the rules and why they are so important before they are given the pass.

Everyone says to call them out when you see them acting like fools. It's not that easy. I was out there last year and some riders were drinking at the bottom of a hillclimb waiting to go. They just left the empty beer cans on the back of the ATVs. I believe that was their trick when in public so they could play dumb when they get called out for littering. They all did it and had multiple cans on one ATV. Kid rode off and left his can behind. He stopped a little ways up the trail and I said soemthing to him about dropping his beer. I was polite about it. Now it's me (I was by myself at that point) and my kids with 3 or 4 drunk, underage, white trash kids. They get lippy. What now? Fight them? Draw on them? It's not worth the risk.

Politely explain how the littering effects EVERYONE who uses the forest, if they have a brain and any common sense it will make them feel stupid. Then pick the cans up yourself. No confrontation needed, done it many times. Sometimes with my own foolish friends that I have now taught the importance to.

I used to be that guy, driving off the trail, littering, not caring, till a few older guys explained to me the bigger picture. Now I'll do anything to help and tell more people.

I like the idea of handing out a brochure with a trail pass that explains the things that have been mentioned in this thread. Whether they read it or not, who knows. But at least they can't say they were not informed.

Also, maybe if someone takes a tread lightly class/course, they could get a discount on the season pass? Or offroad products from a vendor? Somehow draw people in to learning about treading lightly in hopoes of them actually following the protocol.

What I/we need to do is inform ALL trial riders and entice them to not litter, drive off of the trail, and to in effect Tread Lightly.

Ban atv's, most of injurys at ure are them, and ive never seen a 4wheeler there with out a beer within reach

The artifact arguement seems made up, who found them, what did they find and how did they stumble across some when trails are closed,

Now am I able to hike the trails thIs weekend to see rml or is it closed for hiking too?

As much as I would love to ban ATVs as well, I think we would be better off trying to educate them and have them be on our side. It's not all of them.

Back