Kodak rock closed?

the only fing reason they found them is because there is an off road trail there!!!! there are prob thousands of artifacts all over the forest that they will never ever find because they wont ever take the time to dig into the mother fer....... this is horrible. who the hell cares about some stupid rocks sharpened and tied to sticks. im so pissed

They better open that trail back up. My back is still hurting from hauling and installing guardrail in January. To all the armchair quarterbacks on here- shut up and help out!!! While URE might not be a challenge to most, I am grateful to have a place to wheel nearby and will do whatever I can to keep it open, despite the odds.

I may just be out the loop but this seems to be out of no where. We have work days to help maintain trails and fix known problems and I admit I've not been to a workday but getting back into wheeling and would be glad to start coming out and helping but there are many other people that have worked there butt off volunteering and to me this seems like slap in the face. If there was a problem forming it did not happen over night why wasn't there other options or chances to correct the problem before it was just closed. (maybe there was and like i said im just out the loop but ive never heard bout it ) If the trail is getting wider an needs guardrails fine and I get preserving the indian artifacts but they have always been there nothing new, so seems like there would be less drastic options to preserve them then just close trail. This is by far the best section of trail at ure in my opinion and really hate to see it closed. Hope it really is temporary but history seems to show otherwise.

Paul what happened?

I haven't been able to come to work days in years past because of my work schedule but now I'm off weekends, I have equipment that can be used to speed up installing of the guard rails. What does it take to set up a day with the fs during the week when the trails won't be crowded?

Get in touch with terry at the Troy forest service office she will be a good poc

I may just be out the loop but this seems to be out of no where. We have work days to help maintain trails and fix known problems and I admit I've not been to a workday but getting back into wheeling and would be glad to start coming out and helping but there are many other people that have worked there butt off volunteering and to me this seems like slap in the face. If there was a problem forming it did not happen over night why wasn't there other options or chances to correct the problem before it was just closed. (maybe there was and like i said im just out the loop but ive never heard bout it ) If the trail is getting wider an needs guardrails fine and I get preserving the indian artifacts but they have always been there nothing new, so seems like there would be less drastic options to preserve them then just close trail. This is by far the best section of trail at ure in my opinion and really hate to see it closed. Hope it really is temporary but history seems to show otherwise.
well said

In my opinion Kodak rock was the best thing URE had to offer. Great place to stop hang out and eat lunch. Only a matter of time and our sport will be a thing of the past

^^^ I won't be surprised if it never opens back up either. That is what happened to 'Long Branch' or 'Big Branch' or whatever it was. That trail was supposedly closed due to nesting bald eagles or some crap. That was well over a decade ago. No way they are still fucking nesting there.
Within the report/study/analysis that was done to research the Bald Eagle population that was used to close this trail down, there was PROOF that the birds were NON-RESIDENT/TRANSIENT birds, meaning that they were not setting up their permanent residence at the UNF. ALL motorized traffic was proposed to be removed from the area (including boats) but our opposition was the weakest so we are the ones that lost.
At best there should have been a temporary closure or limitation or traffic in the area. Eagles, just like most wild animals, are highly adaptive. If the traffic in the area was so bad that they did not feel the area was suitable, then they would have never built a nest in the first place!

I've said it many times in discussions about URE trail closures. The opposition is WAY more organized and patient than we are. The Arch sites is their silver bullet here. Just wait and see, there will be more popping up in the near future.
I'd rather have the trails closed due to Sasquatch sightings than this crap.

Since that section of RML will likely never be reopened, perhaps it is more productive to go ahead and start thinking about rerouting RML past the sensitive area.

Rerouted RML.jpg

What are we suppose to do? Go up and help find all the arrow heads and sharpened sticks? I'm too lazy to kneel and pick at stones looking for stones.

I will do what ever it takes as long as my work schedule will allow. I work a full time job a part time job of nights and weekends and got a lil girl in sports so my schedule is pretty tight

What materials are needed to build the guardrail? I have many connections in lumber and construction. Let me know and I will assist as much as I can.

Whats the point of putting more guard rail up if the hippies have it closed for reasons we can't control?

When is the next work day ? i am just now hearing about workdays from a friend of mine .. I camp on this trail every time i go , there has to be a way to reroute or set up some kind of preservation area and still use the trail .. Let me know how i can help ..

All I can tell you right now ( all i know about this period ) is that this was something new that came down the week before this last workday. I talked to Terry the week prior to this and nothing was said on the phone, then called back a few days later and it was something that got put on the plate for this workday. It does suck bad for this year, but instaed of complaining on here which the USFS does not look at , lets get together for our own workday ( we can schedule our own anytime we want / need ) and get it done.

So, are you going to step up, or just complain ?

I will tell you now from working with the USFS as a volunteer for years going back to the early 90's between depolyments and crap that if all you do is complain, then all they are going to do is shut it down. This is kinda how Tellico started, too many people complaining and too few wanting to do the right thing.

There is someone on here that can answer it all, but i do not think he comes to this section.

I agree that we need to step and do something other than just sit back and complain. Like i said in previous post i have been out of wheeling for the last few years due to getting married, having kids, and working all the time so have not helped with any workdays, but things are slowing down and im ready to change this. I am in the process of building my new rig and love the hobby, I can't wait to take my little boy on his first wheeling trip, and do not want to see RML close or any other trail. Im ready to step up to the plate and volunteer how ever I can. How do we go about organizing our own work day, and you say get it done, get what done do we have a clear defined plan of action or work that needs to take place to get RML opened back up or keep any other trail from closing. If we do not have a clear defined scope of work to open RML or keep other trails open how do we get one. People have been volunteering for years thinking they were doing what was needed to keep trails open then they close RML, with no opertunity to fix problem, as far as I know nobody knew there was a problem.

Whats the point of putting more guard rail up if the hippies have it closed for reasons we can't control?

Mainly because the issue is with the trail expanding to wide, if I'm not mistaken this is the areas with the arch sites. It's not like they found stuff in the middle of the trail, from the sounds of it they found stuff close to illegal bypasses and other areas that got to large. Krzyabncanuck said what we need to do in the other thread.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

I've tried to make it to the last 3 work days but due to work haven't been able to make it. I'd love to come out to the next one especially if it will help keep RML open. I never got to go to Tellico because it closed before I got my license, and I'd hate to see Uwharrie close too everything else is too far for a broke college kid like me.

Do you know how long that would take ? We have been going on a few years for Lakeview Trail now. It could be done, and might be a really good idea, but i am affraid how long that would take also.

They rerouted Saw Mill much faster than I figured it would happen.

Well thats what I was wondering, other thread made it sound like we were sol cause they found the stuff and the trail is closed because of it. I would love to help, but I can't even find the time to replace the busted rear diff cover on my jeep. I'll s what I can do when the next work day is posted.

Back