Kodak rock closed?

When is the next work day, I will check my work schedule. I want to get out & help if I can..

this is why we should support the private parks.

You haven't been paying attention.

I know of two local private parks that are currently being threatened with closure, more or less because of Clean Water Act violations.

Look ya'll. Instead of finger pointing and guessing why it shut down on the internet, lets just get going in the right direction. I have put it out on both threads on here what it is going to take to do this. I have also put it out why it had to happen, and it is not our / the USFS faults.

Its going to take us working together to get it opened back up. It is hard work, but they have been fighting out West so we can too.

So, all we need to do is run guard rail the full length of the trail from the bottom of the hill (where exactly?) to Saw Mill? Both sides? Then the trail reopens? Do we have clear direction on this from the FS?

If someone with the contact info for the USFS will set a date, I will drop everything and dedicate my time to knock out this guard rail, last work day I was at it was made clear we needed guard rail on both sides from the rock garden to saw mill. Even if that effort doesn't work it will show how much we all care! We have got to do something! We need to reach out to the ATV crowd and inform them too of how much we need their help. Hell it's mostly their fault! I don't have Facebook but this news and a plan for a last minute work day should be posted EVERYWHERE!!!

I do not want to see my favorite place in the world turn into Tellico! I will be forced to move out west faster than I intended if we start loosing Uwharrie. Lets stand up! All this talk, let's turn it into action! Someone post some contact info for the people to get in touch with. 500 emails of concerned, willing to help, responsible off roaders is better than 3 pages of posts on a thread that will never get seen by the desicion makers!

Does anyone have any equipment with a boring unit that will dig the holes for the post for the guardrails other then just post hole diggers?

I have personally seen two-man powered augers, tractor (3-point) mounted augers, and Bobcat mounted augers used to install split rail and guard rail. The Bobcat was the most powerful, but due to the size/weight of the machine, unevenness of terrain, and operator skill, you can't get them everywhere. The tractor-mounted unit could get some places that the Bobcat couldn't, but it couldn't displace large rocks as well. The two-man auger is by far the most versatile, but also the most limited in terms of boring ability and energy expended.

Did we ever get any direction from the FS about installing t-posts and wire fencing in place of guard rail? Could be a good option for the places where we can't easily install (or would rather not see) the guard rail.

So, all we need to do is run guard rail the full length of the trail from the bottom of the hill (where exactly?) to Saw Mill? Both sides? Then the trail reopens? Do we have clear direction on this from the FS?

If we do have clear direction on what needs to happen I would be down for a last minute workday.

I have an auger, we used it at the last work day!

If the forestry service would just stop looking for artifacts, than we wouldn't have any of these problems!! Jk, I think artifacts are cool and all but its a bummer that this sections of RML is closed down. Hope something else is figured out.

So it seems to me that the reasoning behind the guardrails and the closing down of RML is because of the quad riders...why doesn't the park make quads temporary illegal until the quad riders finish what needs to be done?! Punish the ones that need to be, not everyone because we certainly can't take our rigs through their little byasses...i mean bypasses.

You just mentioned the Croatan, News came about two weeks ago the FS is closing a very popular hiking/bicycle trail in the Croatan due to "Archaeological finds. It's not only happening to "our" community !

I'm better at planning my stuff around a day, but as long as it doesn't fall on a weekend of any other posted event, I should be able to work it. There's a few Saturdays I have to work. But i won't know til the month of.

Krzyabncanuck....... This is the perfect time time for us to take the higher road and use TREAD LIGHTLY as a tool for the ATV guys rather than throw rocks.... What ever work day it is I will cover grub this time......

Let me ask a question that I think many are thinking.
Do we have direct written agreement from the FS that when the guardrail is installed on both sides of the trail the trail will be IMMEDIATELY re-opened and accessible?

If not, lets not concentrate and waste our efforst here....sounds like the trail 1 sludge trap red herring

Regrettably, I think Ron has a point here. The FS did not care what we offered/tried to do to save Tellico, in fact they reclaimed the trails prior to litigation being completed. I know we should do something and I am willing to put up guard rail or whatever but will it really make a difference? I will do my best to be at all future workdays and help in any other way I can but I would hate to see our efforts go for naught again.
Has anyone contacted SFWDA, and if yes what assistance or direction have they offered?

Back