Kodak rock closed?

^^^ I won't be surprised if it never opens back up either. That is what happened to 'Long Branch' or 'Big Branch' or whatever it was. That trail was supposedly closed due to nesting bald eagles or some crap. That was well over a decade ago. No way they are still fucking nesting there.

^^^ I won't be surprised if it never opens back up either. That is what happened to 'Long Branch' or 'Big Branch' or whatever it was. That trail was supposedly closed due to nesting bald eagles or some crap. That was well over a decade ago.

That trail was recently discussed too. IIRC those eagles have left that area.

If I recall I think the proposed new "Lakeview" trail is supposed to be part of the old long/big branch trail but as I've said I've really been out of the loop the last few months.

At least the whole thing isn't closed and access to Saw Mill and Slab Pile from RML still exist. That isn't nearly as bad as it first seemed. Otherwise, those two trails would have been deadends.

How can we step up? Is there anything we can actually do to help open other trails? I've been away from the boards since December so I may have missed something myself and others can do to help facilitate trail openings.
I will let Scot talk about this more in detail. Basicaly the bike guys took a detailed packet to the forest service with surveys and even secured grants prior to doing it... They talked about it at the FOU meeting in December.

Dang it! I hate to see more trails closing.

With so many trails closing, it makes me want to go drag racing. At least not many of them are closing down yet.....

I will let Scot talk about this more in detail. Basicaly the bike guys took a detailed packet to the forest service with surveys and even secured grants prior to doing it... They talked about it at the FOU meeting in December.
We did discuss the mountain bike guys over the weekend and that was a great effort on their part but far from a done deal.

Theres nothing we can really do to help open new trails in the ure system we say we want some but anything that we do has to be discussed and surveyed for years then they come back and say no it wont work there b/c of some indian, bald eagle, water bullshit. If we could just say we want a trail here, they say ok as long as you put in water breaks that would work. Eagles can fly and will find a new tree if anything found worth an archeologists time then guess what our efforts helped find what would have probably never been found before. If we could just get out there and do something without all the red tape then something could actually be done, but its just like anything else you either have to know somebody with deep pockets or have deep pockets yourself to get anything done.

If closing RML doesn't suck enough, this is a double edged sword. Now the one trail remaining that is worth a darn (Daniel) will be 3x's more crowded than ever before, making it practically un-wheelable...

I don't understand this. There are hundreds of other "Native American artifact" sites all over the state that aren't pursued to any extent at all, this is clearly a closing of the trails that don't suck so as to keep the 4x4 people away. Was the shooting range ever reopened?

this is why we should support the private parks. if they raise prices to try to make a proffit mabey we shouldn't threaten to quit going.look at all the time that is donated to uwharrie not to mention sfwd's efforts with the equipment it has aquired to help maintain the trails. when the decission is made to close a trail none of that is taken into consideration. don't get me wrong,we should be doing all of these things to help the forest service.i am just saying we should be a little more supportive to the private parks when we have to pay more than 5 bucks for a week end or if something don't go as planed for an event.

this is why we should support the private parks. if they raise prices to try to make a proffit mabey we shouldn't threaten to quit going.look at all the time that is donated to uwharrie not to mention sfwd's efforts with the equipment it has aquired to help maintain the trails. when the decission is made to close a trail none of that is taken into consideration. don't get me wrong,we should be doing all of these things to help the forest service.i am just saying we should be a little more supportive to the private parks when we have to pay more than 5 bucks for a week end or if something don't go as planed for an event.

Im quoting this since I can only like it 1 time.
Think about this the next time you are tempted cuss about gate fee at Windrock, or Harlan, or or or....

This is really a kick in the stomach.
Ill probably still help Scott out if I can... but Ill not drag the rig to URE this year.

I don't hear many people complaining at the cost at private parks. I feel like I'm robbing them when I go to Harlan. For me it comes doWn to time and money to go to a private park. I can't just run over and have fun for the day. I can't wake up and decide to go. With the time it takes to get to a private park and the cost of gas to get there I have to plan it and at least make a weekend out of it. Then I also have to pack camping stuff and hope the weather isn't shitty or pay for a hotel. I'm just venting. It's no ones fault but my own where I live. It's just harder to wheel if I have to drive at least 3 hours to get to the park.

I don't hear many people complaining at the cost at private parks. I feel like I'm robbing them when I go to Harlan. For me it comes doWn to time and money to go to a private park. I can't just run over and have fun for the day. I can't wake up and decide to go. With the time it takes to get to a private park and the cost of gas to get there I have to plan it and at least make a weekend out of it. Then I also have to pack camping stuff and hope the weather isn't shitty or pay for a hotel. I'm just venting. It's no ones fault but my own where I live. It's just harder to wheel if I have to drive at least 3 hours to get to the park.

In your shoes 100%! I would prefer to go to Gulches, TN or Harlan any day. But it's not right down the road and I guess that's our fault.
On another note, nothing will change over night so it doesn't help to say screw it. We all all have to get on board now if we want to make a difference! Everyone wants to go to URE and have a good time, but less than half actually care to go to a work day and volunteer their time to keep it open. We all have to step up and show that as 4x4 enthusiast we do have respect and responsibility for this hobby. If you see someone off the trail, acting a fool, throwing their beer cans and trash out, SAY SOMETHING! If your ARE that person, grow up and QUIT! It affects us all. As for these ancient "artifacts" well that's a crapshoot and we all know it but we gotta suck it up. We can, however push for new trails, maybe more challenging trails might I add, and do what it takes to cooperate with the USFS to make it all work. Getting mad about this and just walking away from it will only let them take over and shut it all down.
And just food for thought, I did just recently spend several back breaking hours putting up guard rail on RML to prevent this very thing from happening. Didn't seem to work out, but I will still continue to help out because they need to see cooperation from people like us!

Yes I believe we have learned plenty about the Indians, we don't need anymore artifacts!

It does suck it got closed down . We have the material to fix most if not all of it. Problem is when it is the wheeling season then we can hardly get anyone out to the workdays to do this stuff, that is why it was said it will probably be all year. I have spent 4 workdays already this year up there on RML trying to get it done,and this one did not count from this last weekend, we have got alot done but we have way too much more to go. Just to give you an idea of what we have to do. We have to put guard rail up from the bottom of Kodak all the way to the beginning of Saw Mill on both sides.

Now, I will say this is not because of us OHV people, but because of the other trash dumping new trail creating crowd. If we could get them on the same sheet of music then we would not have to be doing all this work right now with these guard rails. I remember way back when, back in the 80's not needing any of this crap put up on the trails.

So is this because of artifacts or because of trail work needing to be done? I guess a good indicator would be if any of the trail upgrades are actually completed during the year off. Smells too much like every other permanent trail closing though.

It does suck it got closed down . We have the material to fix most if not all of it. Problem is when it is the wheeling season then we can hardly get anyone out to the workdays to do this stuff, that is why it was said it will probably be all year. I have spent 4 workdays already this year up there on RML trying to get it done,and this one did not count from this last weekend, we have got alot done but we have way too much more to go. Just to give you an idea of what we have to do. We have to put guard rail up from the bottom of Kodak all the way to the beginning of Saw Mill on both sides.

Now, I will say this is not because of us OHV people, but because of the other trash dumping new trail creating crowd. If we could get them on the same sheet of music then we would not have to be doing all this work right now with these guard rails. I remember way back when, back in the 80's not needing any of this crap put up on the trails.

Darren is there anyway we could schedule a workday to finish the guard rail. I know a lot of the people that came out both days this weekend would help again.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

So is it just the way I read this or is Kodak rock and the ledge leading up to Kodak closed for this year maybe for good? That is the only part of RML worth riding

Back