Yeti wins against Rtic

Alright, heres a review of the RTIC 65.

I took it hog hunting for an entire week in the swamps of SC. It was used primarily as our beer/drink cooler. It was kept in the shaded portion in the tent so it was out of direct sunlight. We put two 10lb bags of ICE in on Sunday afternoon along with several cases of beer/liquor. Ice lasted until Thursday evening and by friday the ice was completely melted but the water was ice cold. This cooler was opened constantly whenever we were at camp. If we used this for food/meat storage it would have lasted longer.

I ordered the divider and the basket as well and they came in handy when I needed to separate beer and hog from each other on the drive home. We had several other coolers for food etc that needed ice every 3 days or so.

My only complaint is that the latches for securing the top lid are loose in the frame. Apparently this is pretty typical of all RTIC coolers but there are several "fixes" for it.

Overall I'd give it 4.5/5 stars with the latch design being the only hangup. Cooler function flawlessly and looks pretty good as well. Also, hog hunt was successful, my buddy killed a sow and a piglet with one shot. Bullet went through the sow and blew the piglets shoulder out. Going again next year.

^ what caliber?

^ what caliber?

.223. First shot went in right behind the ear on the sow and took out the piglet as well. He dumped several more rounds into the sow and finished them off with a 9mm pistol. We usually hunt with a mix of .223 or 300BO. I'm building a 300bo for next year, it will be SBR and suppressed. I've seen other people with AKs, 30-30s, and 45-70s. March 6-11 is when they open the season up for centerfire rifle. Hog season in SC is year round with no limits however you are limited to caliber based on what game animal is in season. If there is no other game animal in season, you shoot .22. Another guy that went with us has killed several 250+lbs with a 22LR

.223. First shot went in right behind the ear on the sow and took out the piglet as well. He dumped several more rounds into the sow and finished them off with a 9mm pistol. We usually hunt with a mix of .223 or 300BO. I'm building a 300bo for next year, it will be SBR and suppressed. I've seen other people with AKs, 30-30s, and 45-70s. March 6-11 is when they open the season up for centerfire rifle. Hog season in SC is year round with no limits however you are limited to caliber based on what game animal is in season. If there is no other game animal in season, you shoot .22. Another guy that went with us has killed several 250+lbs with a 22LR
.22 mag or a .17 could do some damage with good shoots

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a .17hmr but it has a bull barrel and a thumbhole stock so its not exactly lightweight enough to walk around the swamps. My buddy runs a SBR/suppressed 22 on an AR platform that works really well. I'm thinking I could get a 10/22 on the cheap and be able to hunt as well.

We had the most luck stalking. The place we hunted was 26K acres and at the most there were probably a total of 30people out there. We would hunt from 6am-11am every day, leave get lunch/rest, and come back at 3pm and hunt till dark. You can stand hunt(i took my climber and sat in the tree for a bit) but you will have the best chance stalking. The two my buddy killed were part of a group of 8. He heard them running through the swamp and he was able to get in position to fire.

All I got from this was "NC4X4 hog hunting field trip 2018"!!

The more the merrier. The more people you have, the better chance to find a big group and bust them up and get them running. SC tags for non resident were $156. Camping is free on the gamelands but you don't have access to running water/power. We camped about 15 mins away for $20 a night per tent and had toilets/showers/power at a really nice campground. Campground owner let us butcher the hogs there as well which was very nice.

We had the most luck stalking. The place we hunted was 26K acres and at the most there were probably a total of 30people out there. We would hunt from 6am-11am every day, leave get lunch/rest, and come back at 3pm and hunt till dark. You can stand hunt(i took my climber and sat in the tree for a bit) but you will have the best chance stalking. The two my buddy killed were part of a group of 8. He heard them running through the swamp and he was able to get in position to fire.
When we hunt in Texas we hunt blinds because they have year round feeders they come to. Also hunt from stands at with shot guns

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I thought this thread was about overpriced coolers

I would be down for this no joke, killing a wild piggy is on my bucket list. I have several overpriced coolers to add to the pile.
2013-08-30 18.20.02.jpg

I have an Orca tumbler that my sister gave me for Christmas. Works just as well as the RTIC one I have. How do their coolers hold up?

NC4x4 2018 Hog trip 2018 has a good ring to it...

Yeti is still my favorite all around cooler but the ORCA is a close second. I have not used the 140qt much but the 35 is what stays in my enclosed trailer and it works great.

I keep checking for a post lawsuit liquidation sale bargain to pop up but haven't found it yet.
And suppressed 300 blackout FTW.

Back