Yeti wins against Rtic

My step-daughter's boyfriend is a fire-fighter who ran a fire call for a car-be-cue. The woman had just stopped at Bojangles and filled her RTIC cup with her sweet tea. The fire was so hot that it destroyed both seats burnt down to the springs. Dash melted in a puddle on the floor. The plastic lid from the tea had melted, but there was still ice in the cup. He couldn't explain it and if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, he would never have believed it.

The plastic lid from the tea had melted, but there was still ice in the cup. He couldn't explain it and if he hadn't seen it with his own eyes, he would never have believed it.

Simple physics. Were you in the Boy Scouts? Never sat a paper cup full of water in a camp fire?

Two weeks ago all rtics were half price. Grabbed a couple 45s for 60/ea

Thanks for sharing, asshole.

We've had this debate before, but the Department of Interior and their inconsistent bear control rules will be the reason I buy a Yeti/Engel/RTIC/etc... our old Coleman will keep ice for a week, even though you're probably better off repacking it every 3-4 days.

I didn't like paying for the 30oz Yeti, but it has been worth it, over the McDonald's cups. I guess the patent expired, as usual, & now saw the same thing in Walmart [Ozark?}, for about $20.
And Now, another one on TV for 1/2 price, with a seal-able lid! I suggested something like that to Yeti, but got no response. I tape the drinking hole shut, & jab a straw through. Dump trucks & Jeeps ride rough!

Sounds like Rtic is just being required to make their coolers look a little different. The majority of Yeti patents I saw on their website were design patents. Looks like they do have a patent on the latching mechanism and the soft coolers though.

Interesting stuff since I look at patents every day.

I recently got some cash for my birthday from the parents, so I bought one of the soft-sided Rtic coolers. Can't wait to take a trip and try it out.

Love my rtic, they did rip off yeti design, should have at least tries to make it look different. The cups at Wal-Mart are as good as yeti, don't think they really had a patent on them, double wall cups have been around for decades and they are the same shape as every fast food large cup. I have some but don't really need or use them. I drink water and coffee most of the time these days, room temp water is fine by me and if I want coffee with lunch I'll get one, no need to save the morning coffee. The Roo mug is my favorite travel cup for coffee, keeps it hot while I drink it but let's it cool down so I can.

I have an Ozark 20 oz cup, only issue I had was that while I habitually sit the cup between my legs while driving, I usually ended up looking as if I pissed my pants. as so many times, while full, it tipped to the side and the coffee poured out on to me. For Christmas I got a different lid, one that has a slide that closes off the drinking hole. I LOVE it. I also got a handle for it too! Which is another very much liked addition.

As for coolers, I won't pay the price. I have one that was supposed to hold ice for 5-6 days, a Coleman I think. It serves me well. For my Jeep, I have a Wal Mart $20 one. There is a same size, same everything also for $10. I had one of thise first. Seems the difference in the two was one was hallow, the other was foam filled. On the hottest day wheeling, the $20 one with 4 frozen soda bottles, will hold any of my drinks at a temp that is very tolerable.

Biggest issue I have had(and I am on my 2nd extended ice life coolers) is people sitting on them, bowing the lids and making them ineffective for the long haul.

Would I have a Yeti? I'd love one, but like I said, the difference in Money, will buy a lot of ice. I see some used ones every now and then, shoot out a low ball offer(what I could afford and feel good about) but so far, it hasn't been enough.

Use dry ice....

That's what I do with my 120gal 5 day cooler. Layer of dry ice, frozen gallon water jugs on each end, layer of frozen water bottles between them (unless I have meat I want to keep frozen, then this goes between the dry ice and frozen bottles), put what I want on top of that, then a bag or two of ice...and then there's usually room to wiggle unfrozen drinks in the ice...and if I have it, I'll throw a couple smaller chunks of dry ice on top for good measure. That said, if someone wanted to give me a Yeti, I'd take it.

Dry ICE is great but nowhere local to me. We floated from Buckhorn to Lillington last August and I used my 65qt Pelican and my buddy used his 105qt Yeti both packed pretty much the same but he had more airspace so i figured i would automatically win the ice retention battle. I packed my cooler thurs afternoon as did he. By sat afternoon my beer was hot and we were putting beer in his Yeti to cool them off. Wish I would have taken my Yeti instead of the Pelican. I don't know what Yeti does to their coolers but it works!

Dry ICE is great but nowhere local to me. We floated from Buckhorn to Lillington last August and I used my 65qt Pelican and my buddy used his 105qt Yeti both packed pretty much the same but he had more airspace so i figured i would automatically win the ice retention battle. I packed my cooler thurs afternoon as did he. By sat afternoon my beer was hot and we were putting beer in his Yeti to cool them off. Wish I would have taken my Yeti instead of the Pelican. I don't know what Yeti does to their coolers but it works!

Things like this are why I love my yeti coolers and why I love them over the cheap wal mart coolers. Sure you can go out and buy a lot of ice for the added cost of a yeti. But, when I use mine and we are with others that don't, I have to pack less ice and can get by with a smaller cooler for the same food/drinks as others that have a huge cheap cooler 75% full of ice. I laugh when they talk crap about the expensive yeti when I'm carrying mine solo and they throw their back out because they have to use 75lbs of ice to stay cold for the whole trip. I laugh more when their sandwiches are water logged because the 75lbs of ice melts and creates 5 gallons of water. Meanwhile, I have dry sandwiches and don't have to worry with a trip to urgent care for a thrown out back.

So, are a couple $ saved really worth it? The frustration of listening to kids complain about having to peel off soggy bread off of their turkey sandwich (not to mention the cooler ice and water is flooded with soggy bread and mayo) is inspiration enough to spend the $ on a decent cooler that will likely last till I can't walk anymore.

I really want a Yeti or similar style cooler for long weekends camping/fishing/riding. But they come with that damn sticker and I feel like I will be obligated to put it on my truck and advertise that I'm a huge douche.

I have like 8 stickers. I'll give you a few for your truck so you can really see how cool you will be before actually buying the cooler. :D

Just to clarify about the yeti stickers...

I have zero stickers installed anywhere nor do I own any yeti (or costa) shirts, hats, etc. I just like the coolers and how they perform, I don't care about being one of the cool kids with all the stickers with matching hats and shirts. ;)

Although I did just buy some NC4x4 vinyl....

I have like 8 stickers. I'll give you a few for your truck so you can really see how cool you will be before actually buying the cooler. :D

Sweet. Good lookin out. :flipoff2:

Really though, I have a huge chunk of Marriott points that I can cash in for gift cards to Cabelas. Its between the Yeti and a new fishing kayak as to what they get used on.

Back