Return of the 7.3 SD

Wasn't Tesla pushing a battery pack for your house to do just that?
Yes there are several players in the resi space today.
The energy lobby is very much against it because it cuts into their profits.

But where a Tesla Power Wall has a storage capacity of say 10-15 kilowatt hour, what Im talking about has lets say 500 Gigawatt hour storage capacity....with talk of terawatt level storage being plasuible

Anyway essentially the plan is large, institutional sized battery storage, huge, or in Orange Mane HUUUUUGE....anyway the point is it will draw/charge/fill in low demand times and grid supplement in high demand times. Its backed by energy utilities because it allows them to distance themselves from the micro grid movement, from co-gen, from peak shavings, etc...if they own they grid, the plant and the storage...they can also determine their peak efficiency generation point and cruise there, lowering their cost per GW to produce, and of course not reducing their customers purchase price.
BAC cooling towers took me to their headquarters a dozen or more years ago. Gave me a tour of Camden yards and treated me to a baseball game. The reason was to take me below the parking lot to show off their ice storage. Similar concept....oversized chillers make and store ice during the night, for use during peak daytime demand for chilled water. The ice storage was for both camden yard and the convention center across the street.

This "technology" was all the rage at the time. You made ice during non peak demand hours PLUS non peak demand electrical.

However the long term payback was something in the 200 yr range :rolleyes: so that option always died long before it was ever presented to owners outside of private funding.

BAC cooling towers took me to their headquarters a dozen or more years ago. Gave me a tour of Camden yards and treated me to a baseball game. The reason was to take me below the parking lot to show off their ice storage. Similar concept....oversized chillers make and store ice during the night, for use during peak daytime demand for chilled water. The ice storage was for both camden yard and the convention center across the street.

This "technology" was all the rage at the time. You made ice during non peak demand hours PLUS non peak demand electrical.

However the long term payback was something in the 200 yr range :rolleyes: so that option always died long before it was ever presented to owners outside of private funding.
yep.
Power Generation has played around with CHP forever and it can make sense in some very cold climates. Essentially you ran your gens in lieu of boilers to heat water through both the block cooling circuit and by scavenging heat off the exhaust system. The gen of course wasnt as efficient as a boiler but it also produced electricity...similar concept.

What makes this current municipal level storage concept interesting to me is two fold
1) The cost of building a new power plant.
2) You get back into the regional co-op talks, I know for example Concord has had discussion of trying to become energy independent separate from Duke Power..have their own grid and their own storage...And if you can get cities and counties on the train and there are lots of greedy politicians to get kick backs, well...then it startes to make sense to decision amkers whether it makes sense or not

have their own grid and their own storage
I was almost certain there were only 3 cities in NC that were "allowed" to provide utilities outside of providers..and it was due to some grandfathering.

From what I remember, NC is one of 13 or so states that has on the books that a city cannot provide it's people with power, internet, cable tv, fiber, etc....without using a provider.

I have absolutely no backup for this statement, and am in the middle of filling out fixture schedules for a deadline or i'd waste time to find where that is coming from....but maybe you know more details

I was almost certain there were only 3 cities in NC that were "allowed" to provide utilities outside of providers..and it was due to some grandfathering.

From what I remember, NC is one of 13 or so states that has on the books that a city cannot provide it's people with power, internet, cable tv, fiber, etc....without using a provider.

I have absolutely no backup for this statement, and am in the middle of filling out fixture schedules for a deadline or i'd waste time to find where that is coming from....but maybe you know more details
I think you are right, but I dont know the specifics for NC lke I do SC.
I do know that gets in to the whole electri-cities (SP) deal and the monopoly breakup

Wasn't Tesla pushing a battery pack for your house to do just that?
Tesla is working on a shingle that is a solar panel, supposedly will be incredibly affordable.

Just imagine in texas early this year when so many people were without power for such an extended time, would have been a disaster when emergency services and utility workers couldn't respond due to dead batteries in there vehicles.
they would likely be forced to have generators, if they dont already. As much sense as that might make.

My wife is REALLY interested in solar and has done a good bit of research on adding it to our new home.

they would likely be forced to have generators, if they dont already. As much sense as that might make.
I was thinking about the individuals themselves traveling too and from work in personal vehicles

My wife is REALLY interested in solar and has done a good bit of research on adding it to our new home.
If you're on Duke, it can make sense financially. If you're on a co-op, it doesn't. I got pretty far into it but didn't pull the trigger because I'm on co-op power. The law in NC says that during times that you are over producing power and feeding the grid, for profit energy providers aka, duke, have to pay you the same kwh rate that you pay them. For not for profit co-ops, they only have to pay you wholesale rate. Looking at my energy usage, we use very little power during peak producing times. When I ran the numbers, it would have taken me like 50yrs to realize a savings. Pass.

If you're on Duke, it can make sense financially. If you're on a co-op, it doesn't. I got pretty far into it but didn't pull the trigger because I'm on co-op power. The law in NC says that during times that you are over producing power and feeding the grid, for profit energy providers aka, duke, have to pay you the same kwh rate that you pay them. For not for profit co-ops, they only have to pay you wholesale rate. Looking at my energy usage, we use very little power during peak producing times. When I ran the numbers, it would have taken me like 50yrs to realize a savings. Pass.
I’m working on a total new solution specifically for coop customers in nC. Roi less than 4years. Ping me if interested

If I could get a 4 year ROI on solar I would do it for sure. My dad's system paid for itself in 4 years but he did it about 7 years ago when there were tons of tax credits.

This is for industrial customer level and not solar based…sorry my post wasn’t clear and apparently sparked a ton of interest , haha

This is for industrial customer level and not solar based…sorry my post wasn’t clear and apparently sparked a ton of interest , haha
I had the solar company come do an audit of my highest power consuming building too and it would have paid off much sooner than at my house. But it was still a longer payback than I was interested in. I can reinvest that money in production equipment and do a lot better in the same time frame.

I had the solar company come do an audit of my highest power consuming building too and it would have paid off much sooner than at my house. But it was still a longer payback than I was interested in. I can reinvest that money in production equipment and do a lot better in the same time frame.
By using more electricity ;)

While also eliminating people, priceless.
I had a plant manager whose operation is largely low skill labor dependent say the other day, " I used to think robots replacing humans was heartless and scary, now its sounds Divine - so long as robots down call out sick if they get oiled too much the night before"

I had a plant manager whose operation is largely low skill labor dependent say the other day, " I used to think robots replacing humans was heartless and scary, now its sounds Divine - so long as robots down call out sick if they get oiled too much the night before"
I have a robotic carton packing machine open on my browser this very moment :lol:

How about that 7.3 though?! :D

I'd like to see how N/A power they'd handle and how much N/A torque they could make.

How about that 7.3 though?! :D

I'd like to see how N/A power they'd handle and how much N/A torque they could make.
Stumbled across this today while dreaming..

1629381975663.png

You know, when the data sets has "guesstimates" and a 6.0 LS1, that it's dead reliable :laughing:
I'm not looking for exact details. Just an idea how it compares size wise to others. I'm sure you all can give me much more accurate details on the LS motors....

Or the fact it has the LS3 and LT in the same 🤦
Hey IDK anything about them. Just looking for an education.

I'm not looking for exact details. Just an idea how it compares size wise to others. I'm sure you all can give me much more accurate details on the LS motors....

Hey IDK anything about them. Just looking for an education.

They are just referencing the fact the the chart is highly incorrect.

No such thing as a 6.0 LS1, and an LT it the predecessor to the LS3.

Back