Pre-Season Uwharrie Trail Work day #11,March 26th 2011

Will You Be Attending?

• YES

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Hey Nick, if your going to be driving gimme a holler, got a few asses that may need put in seats to make this trip if you've got open ones. This is going to be a big trip for us, I think JB and Taylor said they are driving as of now, hoping for 10 TTJ folks at this workday.

Going to ask off work for this first thing tomorrow. I'll have my own "guardrail dragging kit" and can give anyone between Lincolnton and URE a ride if needed. I can't make any promises about chipping in on the skid steer yet but I'll see what I can do.

Well sounds like I wont need to bring the yota then if everyone is helping drag the guard rails but will bring anything we need,if more shovels,post hole diggers, gloves etc.....

Going to bring posthole diggers and shovels, we can probably throw some money into the pile for the rental, just depends if we are in the black after the meet and greet tomorrow. Collecting due's from 8-12 people, so that will make a huge difference.

i wont be able to attend but i will be able to contribute to the bobcat fund...someone pm me with a paypal...i went for my first time last year and had a blast...will be going multiple times this year.

contributed:beer: to Eli

hopefully with my work schedule i can get some of the weekends off and bring my dd down to help out

Eli, would you like for them to paypal you and then you pay me or just paypal me directly?

My email address for pp: cmirving@gmail.com

It probably sounds more complicated sending it to me, then to you but for record keeping purposes it will be simpler. So if anyone wants to paypal money send it to SandD3Man@gmail.com (Eli & Cathy Pupavatz) and I will then transfer it to Chris's account. When its all said and done then all I have to do is look at my paypal history and log who sent what for donation records.

contributed:beer: to Eli

hopefully with my work schedule i can get some of the weekends off and bring my dd down to help out

Thanks for the donation! It put a nice dent in the total. Hope you can get the time off to make it out for a couple work days. :beer::beer:

I did not see this thread until after I agreed to be in Raleigh on the same day! I checked my calender and the 26th is on a 4th saturday! Sorry guys, my bad! I'll make it up to you somehow.

The CFSJC had 5 members show (only 3 rigs) and do a small work day this past Sat. We got 6 sections of guard rail up on Falls Dam in about 4 hours (actual working on the trail time, not counting gathering materials/tools and meeting with FS rep).

We are now less than two weeks away from the work day. As far as I know, we do not have enough money for the bobcat rental. We still need at least $200 more to pay for the Bobcat. If anyone can help, please send the donation to Eli's papypal account:

It probably sounds more complicated sending it to me, then to you but for record keeping purposes it will be simpler. So if anyone wants to paypal money send it to SandD3Man@gmail.com (Eli & Cathy Pupavatz) and I will then transfer it to Chris's account. When its all said and done then all I have to do is look at my paypal history and log who sent what for donation records.

------------------------------------------

Man, Falls Dam is gonna look like an interstate by the time we get done with the guard rail!

Cajun, what types of tools were you guys using? Any heavy equipment or just a hand auger?

Man, Falls Dam is gonna look like an interstate by the time we get done with the guard rail!

Cajun, what types of tools were you guys using? Any heavy equipment or just a hand auger?

Just the 2 man auger (aka Big Red), a couple of post hole diggers, and a whole lot of elbow grease. Ground was real soft from the rain, so we had no problems digging holes.

I'll be there again this time, sounds like we have a plan of action for the bobcat. We just need the dough at this point. We're still down 200 for the Bobcat right? I'll bring whatever I can to help out I plan on showing up Friday and staying the night at the Campground. Since we all need to sign in beforehand, and get the tools why is it we don't meet at arrowhead? I'll be at the outpost for breakfast but just seems like meeting at the campground makes a little more sense to me if people miss the breakfast at 8. We had people a little confused last time that is why I ask.

I'll be there again this time, sounds like we have a plan of action for the bobcat. We just need the dough at this point. We're still down 200 for the Bobcat right? I'll bring whatever I can to help out I plan on showing up Friday and staying the night at the Campground. Since we all need to sign in beforehand, and get the tools why is it we don't meet at arrowhead? I'll be at the outpost for breakfast but just seems like meeting at the campground makes a little more sense to me if people miss the breakfast at 8. We had people a little confused last time that is why I ask.

Yeah, we were wondering the same thing last weekend. I think only a meeting with the FS reps and a designated member of each club for marching orders is necessary. Then the club reps can pass it along to everyone else. Definitely don't need everyone crowding Janet's trailer though.

and as far as the auger goes, we need to come up with a pin and cotter pin, instead of a bolt and nut. threads are getting boogered fast.

last time Janet asked that we sign in so the FS gets credit for the labor hrs, and as long as we don't block the driveway (which I don't think will be too much an issue in the off-season) it allows us to get to work quicker. Last time there was a good long while waiting versus time we could have spent loading tools, signing roster, and waiting for the stragglers to roll out. We just need to check with Janet as to if she has procured Gas for the two person auger as of yet, if not we'll know we need to have some before hand. I'll be at breakfast at the outpost and after that I'll be at the campground at my campsite which I think we can fit a few more vehicles at while we wait for everyone.

Yeah, we were wondering the same thing last weekend. I think only a meeting with the FS reps and a designated member of each club for marching orders is necessary. Then the club reps can pass it along to everyone else. Definitely don't need everyone crowding Janet's trailer though.

last time Janet asked that we sign in so the FS gets credit for the labor hrs, and as long as we don't block the driveway (which I don't think will be too much an issue in the off-season) it allows us to get to work quicker. Last time there was a good long while waiting versus time we could have spent loading tools, signing roster, and waiting for the stragglers to roll out. We just need to check with Janet as to if she has procured Gas for the two person auger as of yet, if not we'll know we need to have some before hand. I'll be at breakfast at the outpost and after that I'll be at the campground at my campsite which I think we can fit a few more vehicles at while we wait for everyone.

and as far as the auger goes, we need to come up with a pin and cotter pin, instead of a bolt and nut. threads are getting boogered fast.

At these "official work days" (aka Forest Service scheduled work days), we meet the FS personnel at the Hunt Camp after breakfast. This is usually around 9am. From there we are broken into groups and assigned specific tasks/trails. Many other clubs in addition to the NC4x4 crew is expected to bee there. A FS person/key holder (usually Teresa Savery) unlocks the gates for us. As far as I know, this is going to be the same thing. There hasn't been a need to gather tools from Janet. A couple shovels and post hole diggers, gloves, etc is all that is needed and everyone usually brings plenty.

also instead of a one time deal with the bob cat why not an always deal with another two person auger? As long as we weren't cutting into a mountain they seem to do pretty well. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200319797_200319797
bits are about 120 bucks as well.

The work can be done with a two-man auger. However, it is MUCH faster with the bobcat. Bobcat and 2-3 people measuring and drilling holes, the rest fill in the holes and bolt up the guard rail. It can easily double the amount of guard rail that is erected. (Plus it makes for some great pictures when Eli straps in to that thing! :flipoff2:) 2010 was the first year the NC4x4 crowd started participating in these work days. Prior to that much of the work was up to the clubs. In 2010, we rented the bobcat twice. Once before season open and once after. Last March we put up about 15 - 20 sections of rail in one day with about 10 people. The last time we only got up about 10 due to the winter weather and nasty ass mud. That was with a bobcat, tractor and 20+ people.

Also, I believe the NC4x4 crew already has it's own 2 man auger? Eli will have to speak to that. I think the FS has a few as well.

I'd like to see the bobcat out there again and I know we can make it happen. We have 12 people coming including myself. If everyone chipped in $15 we would be real close!! As I said before, I'll take care of picking it up, hauling it out there and returning it. And since I know having this thing will make a difference, I'll throw in an additional $15 to get the ball rolling.

That leaves us with $185. Who else can help? Send your money via paypal to SandD3Man@gmail.com!

We will be making a donation after this weekend, might be easier to pay in cash on the 26th, but I will be sure to let yall know a few days in advance at least, and give u the exact amount we will be contributing.

Anyway you can get the money to us is great. First work day last year in March everyone but one person did cash, 1 guy that couldn't make it (that pitched in over a $100) paypal'd money. I will toss $20 in to help with the bill, that brings us from $185 down to $165. Lets keep the ball rolling!

To clarify a couple things that I was reading.

1.)We (NC4X4) do have a 2-man auger, aka Big Red. Its the only 2 man auger out there, all the Forest Service augers are 1-man (or as we found out 4 man, lol). The thing is the Auger was purchased from donations from another club (BIG THANKS!) so its not a "NC4X4 Only Auger". Any group that comes up to do a work day can use it if of course we aren't all ready using it. This is what the Full Size Jeep Club guys did.

2.)Bobcat w/ Auger > 2-Man Auger > 1-Man Auger > Post Hole Digger. That is the line of greatness, from best to worse/impossible. The Bobcat doubles (or more) efficiency of the group, and it makes some holes that would be impossible with the 2-man/1-man doable. And when we get into other work where the bucket of the bobcat will come in handy the bobcat will be really worth its weight.

3.)The February work day was one of those oddball ones that doesn't conform to the normal schedule. Usually we meet at the Hunt Camp at 9AM with the Forest Service and sign in, get plans laid out, do a Q&A sometimes, get tools etc. Then we head out, on a rare occasion we may have to stop by Janet's anyway. The February workday we didn't have the normal FS with us, for that matter it was Drew's first workday. He didn't really know what to expect, let alone organize us signing in etc at the Hunt Camp like we usually do. So in reality Janet took care of all that and we met up there at her place because she was there in place of Terry Savery etc. The only real reason we met at the Hunt Camp was because I wasn't going to change the meet up place last minute for those that may miss that information. Because even though the entire work day plans changed last minute, I wasn't going to screw that up.

The summer work days where we may be on our own again, we will have to meet up at Janet's probably. But again, we will probably meet up at Hunt Camp anyway just to keep things going as planned per normal.

As far as the "Master Key" for Big Red (the bolt/nut combo) I can get those fairly easily. I brought up the nut for that matter the next weekend after the work day when I was visiting Janet. I can get more bolts/nuts at Home Depot/Lowes for cheap. That is if we don't figure out a pin setup etc.

Triad Jeep Club will attend the 3/26 Work Day

There are 3 of us attending so far.... I will bring $20 to help out with the bobcat and will encourage others to do the same...
Ken

I'll donate a 20 to the cause as well.

Will big red be there for us at hunt club so that we can use it if we need it?
Will Teresa be bringing the sign in roster to hunt club for us as well? (I'm assuming that the man hrs are credited towards the budget, and correct me if I'm misunderstanding.)
Sorry for being difficult about the details, but I'd prefer to work all this out before we even get there if possible.
Excellent work on providing the bobcat, and working out the logistics about it as well.
I look forward to seeing the bobcat in action as the other augers can be slow going depending on the rocky conditions.
It was interesting learning about auging in the terrain of Uwharrie.

Back