Will You Be Attending?

• YES

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
This will be the 2nd and last pre-season work day. So we need to make it count.

For Saturday, March 26th we'll work on clearing any downed trees & hazard trees from the trails with our newly trained chainsaw volunteers. Also, we'll finish off the guardrail installation on Falls Dam Trail and a few other trail locations on other trail. We'll also be installing carsonite signs at the trail intersections for the OHV trails, & roads, & non-motorized trails to reduce some of the confusion out there. Also, the adopt a trail signs that have gone missing will be available for us to install that day too for your clubs.

Please let me know if your club is coming up for the March 26th work weekend & about how many folks you'll have. If you'll be able to bring up any equipment like a tractor or skid steer with an auger to use for the guardrail please let me know.

Essentially we will be digging a lot of holes. The goal is to get a bobcat/auger setup out to this work day so we can make the most of it.

SCHEUDLE

8AM: Volunteer Breakfast at the Outpost
9AM: Huntcamp meet
1PM: (Approx) Lunch

Again lets make this last off-season work day a great one. I will be getting more details about the bobcat/auger deal set up. :beer::beer::beer:

That's a lot of work bro, we either really need to get started earlier or work later. We might even need to make that a two day event.

Why is this on the 4th Saturday?

Why is this on the 4th Saturday?

Well if you noticed this past workday (yesterday) was the 4th Saturday of the month also. To be honest, I don't know. I can ask Terry. My educated guess is the off-season work days don't always correlate with the regular season work days. And the sawyer certification classes probably had a big part to do with it. Last weekend (the 3rd weekend) they were doing the Sawyer certification classes.

We don't have the schedule for the rest of the work days, so who knows. This year may be the 4th weekend instead of the 3rd. It is pure speculation at this point.

If you guys want to get the bobcat, I will haul it again provided this date doesn't change. I cannot contribute towards the cost of the rental or the refueling costs, so you'll need to secure the money beforehand. It's around $330 with the 10" bit from RS Braswell in Kannapolis. Last time we ran the machine it used around $15-$20 in fuel if I remember correctly. I will cover the fuel costs to haul it to and from.

Sorry to list all the "cannots", but I just won't be in a position to help financially after I get back from vacation in early March. :beer:

If you guys want to get the bobcat, I will haul it again provided this date doesn't change. I cannot contribute towards the cost of the rental or the refueling costs, so you'll need to secure the money beforehand. It's around $330 with the 10" bit from RS Braswell in Kannapolis. Last time we ran the machine it used around $15-$20 in fuel if I remember correctly. I will cover the fuel costs to haul it to and from.

Sorry to list all the "cannots", but I just won't be in a position to help financially after I get back from vacation in early March. :beer:
Nice:beer::beer:

I too will try and climb aboard for this work day. Would like to see a big crew out there this time.
:wheel:

This is a planned event for TTJ, hoping to have a showing of atleast 10 of our crew.

What can we bring to help? I know a few of our guys have construction equipment/tractors but don't want to offer it up without talking to them.

Shovels?
Basic tools?

Possibly throw in a little for a rental if we as a club have any money left in the account after ordering our gear next week.

Biggest issue for our group is we tend to be late starters on the weekend, would hope to be there by 9 atleast, but its hard to be sure a month in advance. I will start bringing this up again and talk to everyone in person this upcoming saturday at our meet.

This is a planned event for TTJ, hoping to have a showing of atleast 10 of our crew.

What can we bring to help? I know a few of our guys have construction equipment but don't want to offer it up without talking to them.

Shovels?
Basic tools?

Possibly throw in a little for a rental if we as a club have any money left in the account after ordering our gear next week.

Post hole diggers: need to bring at least one per auger. You simply cannot do the guard rail work without them.

Shovels: one per auger. Useful when refilling the holes.

Tamping rod: again, one per auger. A 2x4 also works well. This is used to compact the dirt around the guardrail post. The forest service usually has one or two of these.

Gloves: Everyone needs some. Leather is recommended.

The other tools such as sockets/ratchets are provided. A tow strap, tree saver and assortment of tools is sometimes helpful. Most everyone brings their rigs so these types of things are in abundance.

Biggest issue for our group is we tend to be late starters on the weekend, would hope to be there by 9 atleast, but its hard to be sure a month in advance. I will start bringing this up again and talk to everyone in person this upcoming saturday at our meet.

Come when you can. If you make it to the hunt camp by 9:15am you can usually catch the group. We get there early, because it takes a very long time to get everyone organized and onto the trails to do the work. Even more when the group is large. Meeting at the hunt camp also makes sure you get a trail pass. If you miss us, then you can probably catch up to us on Falls Dam.

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I will post it in our thread for this and see what all we can't get brought out.

I assume bringing a chainsaw is a no go without the training?

Correct, no chainsaw unless you are a sawyer. It looks like there will be a sawyer there. I've never been there with sawyer, but I imagine chains and/or tow straps would come in hand for moving large logs.

Don't forget chains or straps w/ hooks for dragging guardrail. D-Ring/shackles also come in very handy.

To be honest I don't think anyone sawyer certified (beyond the FS) will be with our group. The only way this would happen is if the other group(s) that show up don't have a good turn out. Because the sawyer certified people are members of other groups. We more than likely will be doing the guardrail install, and if time carsonite install etc. So its a slight chance we will be dealing with the sawyer group, but not a big one.

We will be revisiting an old project I scrapped because a number of people said I was wasting my time. I will be talking to the Bobcat of Monroe (they own the Kannapolis location and original RS Braswell one) to see what we can work out. This will probably mean a trip out to Kannapolis, but we will see.

So we will get the ball rolling on the skid steer loader rental, and who knows. We may come out way under the $330 mark. When I get a price we will look at paypal etc as options to try to pull the money together.

awesome guys I should be getting home just in time for this and would love to be helping putting up guardrails again! Dont know if my yota will be going by then so I might just drive the dodge,I could help haul or tow w/e if need be. If the yota is back up and going would I need to bring it like last time? Cant wait guys!

Look we work out there once a month all year long. Why are non of us certified on the chainsaw. The FS Let the class fill up before we could get in I heard a few people say this on Saturday. What's the point of certifing a bunch of people that dont make it out. Or do I have this wrong? Either way our volunteers at least a few of them should get this class. I would go to one but I don't even own a chainsaw, but I'm some of the guys do we should see if we can get them in because the spring storms will be knocking some stuff down I'm sure.

I think the idea was the clubs got most of the slots and they would be at the volunteer days. I didn't hear about it until the day of (Friday I think), my schedule is flexible but not that flexible.

We had some people say they knew people that were certified in whatever was needed to use a chainsaw (and then some).

So far we've only needed to use winches to move trees and stuff like that, and sounds like the FS plan on having sawyers on hand but having one or two of the volunteers that show up at nearly every workday certified would be helpful.

Sounds like we need to firm up the channels of communication with the FS.

Imagine the volunteer hours we would had this weekend if we had a more solid communication channel/network. Maybe double?

I've got some ideas I'm going to throw Elis way about this and also trying to solidify some kind of informal "chain of command". But It doesn't really belong in this thread.

So we will get the ball rolling on the skid steer loader rental, and who knows. We may come out way under the $330 mark. When I get a price we will look at paypal etc as options to try to pull the money together.

I am fine with getting the money from you the day of the work day. Paypal is also fine, but not required. I just want to be sure all the money is gathered before I throw it on my credit card.

Look we work out there once a month all year long. Why are non of us certified on the chainsaw. The FS Let the class fill up before we could get in I heard a few people say this on Saturday. What's the point of certifing a bunch of people that dont make it out. Or do I have this wrong? Either way our volunteers at least a few of them should get this class. I would go to one but I don't even own a chainsaw, but I'm some of the guys do we should see if we can get them in because the spring storms will be knocking some stuff down I'm sure.

I think the idea was the clubs got most of the slots and they would be at the volunteer days. I didn't hear about it until the day of (Friday I think), my schedule is flexible but not that flexible.

We had some people say they knew people that were certified in whatever was needed to use a chainsaw (and then some).

So far we've only needed to use winches to move trees and stuff like that, and sounds like the FS plan on having sawyers on hand but having one or two of the volunteers that show up at nearly every workday certified would be helpful.

Sounds like we need to firm up the channels of communication with the FS.

Imagine the volunteer hours we would had this weekend if we had a more solid communication channel/network. Maybe double?

I've got some ideas I'm going to throw Elis way about this and also trying to solidify some kind of informal "chain of command". But It doesn't really belong in this thread.

Finding out about the certification classes in advance is key. There are many here who want to be sawyers, myself included. I do plan to obtain the certification the next time the class is available. It's inexpensive and a good thing to have if you'll be doing a lot of work days. Never know when it could come in handy.

Supposedly there were 2 e-mails sent out, the advanced notice and the last minute update on the sawyer classes. We only got the last minute update e-mail for what ever reason.

We do need at least one person that regularly attends sawyer certified. I have no problem attending, just keep in mind I don't own a chainsaw. And the last time I used one was years ago. There has to be someone in our group that attends most/all work days that is more qualified.

Either way we probably won't be involved in the tree removal etc like mentioned earlier. Our main focus unless we get other info will be guardrail install then possibly carsonite/sign install. There will be plenty of work to do in that area you can be sure.

Eli, let's make sure we get tracks on the skidsteer. I thought the tires would work better last time, but they're absolutely useless as you saw. :) The tracks felt much more stable and got better traction.

I will be there and am a sawyer, I waited 3 years to take this class and finally got it. My club, CFSJC is planning a club workday on our trail Dicky Bell on 3-12 & 13-11 to get it ready for opening day, we will then be at the work day on 3-26 & 27-11 to help out where ever we are needed. I have friends at the Bob cat place in Kannapolis and would be glad to call them to try and get a break on price if you would like me too.

Jim

I will be there and am a sawyer, I waited 3 years to take this class and finally got it. My club, CFSJC will is planning a club workday on our trail Dicky Bell on 3-12 & 13-11 to get it ready for opening day, we will then be at the work day on 3-26 & 27-11 to help out where ever we are needed. I have friends at the Bob cat place in Kannapolis and would be glad to call them to try and get a break on price if you would like me too.

Jim

Which place? RS Braswell? Please do call them and let Eli or myself know!

Which place? RS Braswell? Please do call them and let Eli or myself know!

Yes, RS Braswell, don't know if it will do any good but I can try.

Jim

I'll be here for this workday.
Can't wait to meet you at the work day.

We are looking great so far concerning attendance. We have 10 people going and this post has only been up a couple days. Lets see that number hit 20 or 30!

We were supposed to have chains to drag guardrail this past weekend. But luckily between a couple people we had a strap and d-rings/clevises to drag the rail and posts. So instead of waiting till the last minute again not being able to get them I got 90 percent of our GUARDRAIL DRAGGING KIT complete:

aimg222.imageshack.us_img222_7419_0301112141.jpg

3x - 2 Foot Chains
4x - Slip Hooks
5x - D-Rings

Pictured I have one of the chains with a hook on one end and a d-ring on the other. To be honest I think this kit could be fine the way it is, but I will be grabbing 2 more hooks and 1 more d-ring before the work day.

Now we don't have to go through the process every work day we do guardrail install of "Who has chains/straps etc". We know now we are guaranteed 3 vehicles pulling rail/posts.

Since guardrail is so common now, and we are putting up even more this kit should pay for itself in one workday.

Nice Find Eli:beer:

Now we don't have to use wild methods to get these things mobile. My Cherokee is always up to the task:wheel:

Nice Find Eli:beer:
Now we don't have to use wild methods to get these things mobile. My Cherokee is always up to the task:wheel:

It has been fun coming up with wild ways to drag rail/posts with stuff you aren't even supposed to (like straps) but this will go a long way. I went to Home Depot yesterday right after work and had them cut the 3 chains for the "kit". Then I went tonight after work to Home Depot and cleaned out their stock of d-rings and hooks. I will make one more stop there before the work day, and pick up 2 more hooks and 1 more d-ring.

Back