Pirate is over.

I’ve got a few under 25 customers/friends that I help with their stuff. But honestly it’s annoying because they chase likes, and get rather big headed over followers when they aren’t even the ones that built it. And damn sure aren’t Ricky Bobby behind the wheel, and their trail etiquette sucks. It’s a social status for a lot of folks.

Yep, this up coming generation has no sense of outdoor community, etiquette, responsibility, or humility.

Not all but many.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yep, this up coming generation has no sense of outdoor community, etiquette, responsibility, or humility.

Not all but many.

One in particular with a JKU on 37s, went out of his way to talk trash to others in our bullshit club saying he wants to see then go break their shit on daniel at uwharrie. Dude almost flopped his shit on the first ledge and this cat has to be spotted everywhere and can’t choose a line worth a damn. There isn’t finesse to get up an obstacle in a lot of the younger crowd, it’s mat it and hold the wheel with both hands. At the same time I need to finish putting my JK together hopefully this fall if the world doesn’t end and see how bad I still suck at wheeling.

Last edited:

Not all but many.

This is very true and sad. I tried getting friends my age into all the outdoor stuff I was. None picked up the actual "offroad" side of things. Just wanted cool trucks and when something broke had neither the gumption to sling wrenches or the patience to figure out issues.

Saw the same stuff through the years leading our annual novice runs for my 4x4 club up north. Most just wantsd to cruise dirt roads once with their new to them jeep. That's all good and fine but turnover is super high and member retention is low. So with no strong clubs there is very little trail advocacy.

There isn’t finesse to get up an obstacle in a lot of the younger crowd, it’s mat it and hold the wheel with both hands.

Hey now, when the hood is as big as a dining room table sometimes drive-by-braille is the only option :flipoff2:

20161108_142323.jpg

Duane

Hey now, when the hood is as big as a dining room table sometimes drive-by-braille is the only option :flipoff2:

View attachment 320941

Duane

Oh I’m still boo boo lipped of my ex saying “you’re close” as I dented the shit out of my passenger side door of the k5. I knew better then to wheel it without sliders and drank heavy that night, after we got back to camp.

Last edited:
Imma goahead’n post this here too...

This is where I always laugh at older generations bitching about younger ones, you're the ones that raised them.

At 34 years old, I’m probably still one of the younger guys that posts here (with regularity). So I’m having an ‘ok boomer’ moment. Yeah, kids of today are all about the likes, but I also feel like we’re romanticizing the nostalgia of yesteryear. Today’s likes are yesteryears parking lot cruise ins. And on the ‘don’t give a fuck about building’ side of things...hockey puck body lifts and double stacked frames aren’t something ‘kids’ came up with recently. One of my favorite retorts in my groups to someone that says ‘I’ve been around these trucks longer than you’ve been alive’, is ‘that means you’ve been a dumbass longer than I’ve been alive too’.

View attachment 320941

Duane
I dont know if I should smile or pour out one for the RamCharger.:beer:

Dann I love those things. If it was a pop top I would for sure cry.

Imma goahead’n post this here too...

At 34 years old, I’m probably still one of the younger guys that posts here (with regularity). So I’m having an ‘ok boomer’ moment. Yeah, kids of today are all about the likes, but I also feel like we’re romanticizing the nostalgia of yesteryear. Today’s likes are yesteryears parking lot cruise ins. And on the ‘don’t give a fuck about building’ side of things...hockey puck body lifts and double stacked frames aren’t something ‘kids’ came up with recently. One of my favorite retorts in my groups to someone that says ‘I’ve been around these trucks longer than you’ve been alive’, is ‘that means you’ve been a dumbass longer than I’ve been alive too’.

Piggy backing on this, and it’s more of a rant of the boomers of the Offroad world.

I’ve got some true boomer CJ guys in my club as well. Ones a parts store manager, that claims to be old school. The other is truck driver, that claims to be old school as well. I helped parts guy boomer, put a np435/300 in his CJ5 and it was like I spoke Spanish too him telling him to do the bell housing, then the trans with adapter on it, then the tcase. He will not listen to anyone on advice on how to properly build something, and cobbles together some bullshit. Dude is all about that carb life but can tune one for shit. Even made the excuse when we were drinking one night that if we lined up his CJ next to the k5 he can’t shift it as fast. Club prez and I laughed hard because he didn’t realize the sm465 is the same way shifting, lol.

Now Boomer CJ guy number dose, vortec 5.7 swap with the spider injection. Dude got mad at me because I wouldn’t discount an GM60 I built and had $1500 in parts in. But also got mad because another club member and I were curious what the zero to 60 times in the k5 were and threw them out there on the group message just showing activity within the club. Dude gets 7 kinds of shitty with me because I said you’ve got realize your 5.7 produced at best 255 hp in stock trim. Now, I took a whole afternoon showing him how to setup his AMC model 20 that he attempted to use the wrong carrier, even tired making a setup race using a pitied all to shit factory one, that he claimed didn’t make any noise. Now I was born at night but not last night, I couldn’t rotate the damn pinion on this shit at one spot because literally it was pitted so bad, but gonna tell me it wasn’t noisy.

I’m all about giving credit where it’s due, but I ain’t here to stroke egos because you’re a few years older than me. Hell I had another local club try and talk shit on my welds on a project I did for someone, meanwhile they stick welded everything of theirs and most the time it didn’t hold together with a shit. I’ve got a few local haters, it’s rather comical.

I dont know if I should smile or pour out one for the RamCharger.:beer:

Dann I love those things. If it was a pop top I would for sure cry.

If you saw how straight it was when I got it you would cry :lol:. But I knew how wheeling a fool size would turn out when I started, so it is what it is. The amount of fun and memories I have from it is worth far more than what keeping it nice would have been.

Duane

The way I see it is that if you want to do a tech article you have to know that going into the project. You cant just do an axle swap lets say and grab a few photos and then go right it up. To do it right you have to constantly stop and take photos, make sure the lighting is right. Maybe stage a shot or two.Sometimes stop in mid stream of a weld bead or seating a fastener and take a photo. All this makes for a great write up but makes the project take twice or three times as long.

This stops me from posting a lot of what I mess with. I either end up dirty/greasy enough to not want to grab my phone to take a pic or I just forget entirely until I’m done.

Not all but many.

I liked all your posts just to do it.

This statement hits pretty hard though. I have an almost 4 year old and a newborn. It scares me how different their childhood will be from mine and I’m only 33. Just the amount of instantly available information now would have been unimaginable when I was a kid. We’ve been taking the older daughter on hikes since she was a few months old and the newborn (3weeks old) has already been to a waterfall with a pretty rough hike to get there. Hopefully stuff like that will stick with them as they grow and they won’t end up glued to/totally reliant on technology.

If you saw how straight it was when I got it you would cry :lol:. But I knew how wheeling a fool size would turn out when I started, so it is what it is. The amount of fun and memories I have from it is worth far more than what keeping it nice would have been.

Duane

Mine wasn't where near straight or rust free when I literally saved it from the crusher. But x2 on the fun part. I like seeing people's reactions to a huge trail barge getting used. Wheeling a full-size is part finesse and part "I'll just keep hammering on this obstacle until it's not as full-sized."
FB_IMG_1464308212899.jpg

My profile pic from Harlan full size. Before the exo cage or 4 link rear.

This stops me from posting a lot of what I mess with. I either end up dirty/greasy enough to not want to grab my phone to take a pic or I just forget entirely until I’m done.

I liked all your posts just to do it.

This statement hits pretty hard though. I have an almost 4 year old and a newborn. It scares me how different their childhood will be from mine and I’m only 33. Just the amount of instantly available information now would have been unimaginable when I was a kid. We’ve been taking the older daughter on hikes since she was a few months old and the newborn (3weeks old) has already been to a waterfall with a pretty rough hike to get there. Hopefully stuff like that will stick with them as they grow and they won’t end up glued to/totally reliant on technology.
One thing i'll never regret. My kid never got a cell phone or personal computer til he was in Highschool. Also only had one game system around 5. Did not ever let him rent games or purchase until he was in HighSchool. By then he had developed mostly other interest. I also forced him to go out of his comfort zone for meeting friends and doing activities not related to immediate family or school sports. Scouts was my answer to that demand. I volunteered some, but mostly demanded he participate and excel on his own.

I never was a big Pirate fan.Always seems to be full of condescending assholes (the chevy section at least).I built what was probably the first 205/241 doubler to be posted about on there and got plenty of back seat drivers commenting on it.Yeah looking back there's thing I should have done different but in 2008 there's was ZERO tech on building one and I was flying blind.

Mine wasn't where near straight or rust free when I literally saved it from the crusher. But x2 on the fun part. I like seeing people's reactions to a huge trail barge getting used. Wheeling a full-size is part finesse and part "I'll just keep hammering on this obstacle until it's not as full-sized."View attachment 320953

My profile pic from Harlan full size. Before the exo cage or 4 link rear.
Yeah mine started out just needing a rocker replaced.
IMG_4535.JPG

On the strain of the boomers and tech vs next generation lack of tech/ fab interest.

(For the record I'm the son of a couple boomers, dad a true biker and builder, and mom a hippy; and I'll be 45 this year. )

Birds of a feather tend to flock together, regardless of generation. I find that the folks I generally wheel with are also similar folks as myself- Those who typically wrench and fab on their own stuff. Even on this invite trip to Minnesota, there weren't any credit card wheelers. Sure some of the guys didn't build their own rigs, but they built/ bought/ or traded up and worked on them and knew them inside and out. Much like my local friends, we all come prepared to get stuff back together after the hard hits. It's easy to discern the difference.

I myself would and have blatantly distanced myself from types that are know it alls, like seekers, or you tube wanna be's. Be it a baby boomer or millennial or any other xyz generation.

As far as tech, I don't consider my threads so much as tech, more so, many pics of a process, with the intent to example ideas or inspire. Which is much of what I look for when perusing threads. I'm not the mechanical tech guru and don't want to be. I typically buy the best tried and true parts I can afford, rather than venturing down an unbeaten path. I'm not the trial and error problem solver type. I like to solve any would be problems before they ever arise by using design. I buy parts and build cars around them basically. I don't do anything groundbreaking in the technical department, design is where my brain lives. I greatly admire those that dreamt and created all these bad ass parts we use to attempt to build the unbreakable machine.

But either way, using Carter and Carson again for an examples; they're not gear heads. I can count on one hand how many times Carson has even washed his vehicle in 4 years; and Carter barely knew the difference between a wheel and tire until last week. I didn't ask my dad questions that I recall, I watched and retained. My oldest two can't and don't attempt to do that. They don't need to , they have Google to answer anything they need. And I imagine that's much the same around the world. I hope that changes as they mature and grow, but it's frustrating as fuck as a parent.

I must be getting old, my trains of thought are becoming more random and endless...

I'm kind of a tweener. I still keep my build thread active on JF, but have a FB group dedicated to body and frame stretched Jeeps. Also in a ton of other wheeling/Jeep groups. I would rather see tech in forums, but it is what it is. Haven't wheel'ed in a while because I have been building since Oct 2018. Hopefully that will change soon.

But either way, using Carter and Carson again for an examples; they're not gear heads. I can count on one hand how many times Carson has even washed his vehicle in 4 years; and Carter barely knew the difference between a wheel and tire until last week. I didn't ask my dad questions that I recall, I watched and retained. My oldest two can't and don't attempt to do that. They don't need to , they have Google to answer anything they need. And I imagine that's much the same around the world. I hope that changes as they mature and grow, but it's frustrating as fuck as a parent.

I must be getting old, my trains of thought are becoming more random and endless...

If its natural in them it will come out......eventually. My son offered to be interested from time to time. Over the years as a whole I longed and swore he would be me. Seemed at a certain age the harder I pushed because I new he could do better the more he choose to avoid. Then suddenly I here about all this wrenching, machining, and welding he's doing on his part time job. I was absolutely dumbfounded and a LOT hurt. He has always took criticism and coaching better from others, even when I'm preaching the same mantra. It should not have surprised me since I saw it in numerous kids coaching. It just seems normal looking at the other folks kids.....but not mine! LOL.

Any way full circle I come home to I'm gonna build. Yah. Ground rules. You buy. You Break, You Fix. I'm here to help, laugh, or get out your way. Damn I'm happy you just want to explore it and me be involved.

He has his interest I have mine, took me darn long time to figure out we weren't perfectly aligned. But the older we both get we understand and feed off it rather than oppose one another.

If its natural in them it will come out......eventually. My son offered to be interested from time to time. Over the years as a whole I longed and swore he would be me. Seemed at a certain age the harder I pushed because I new he could do better the more he choose to avoid. Then suddenly I here about all this wrenching, machining, and welding he's doing on his part time job. I was absolutely dumbfounded and a LOT hurt. He has always took criticism and coaching better from others, even when I'm preaching the same mantra. It should not have surprised me since I saw it in numerous kids coaching. It just seems normal looking at the other folks kids.....but not mine! LOL.

Any way full circle I come home to I'm gonna build. Yah. Ground rules. You buy. You Break, You Fix. I'm here to help, laugh, or get out your way. Damn I'm happy you just want to explore it and me be involved.

He has his interest I have mine, took me darn long time to figure out we weren't perfectly aligned. But the older we both get we understand and feed off it rather than oppose one another.

I would say that I was similar as a kid. Things were different as there was no electronics in my house, or cable for that matter. I played sports and enjoyed the outdoors for the most part. I always liked classic cars and hot rods, but never knew anything about them. My dad was into traditional sports, so there wasnt really a gearhead to learn from. I had friends who were really into old cars and worked on them alot, but i never spent alot of time around them until after I got my licence. I got a Jeep as my first vehicle, and started spending time cleaning it up, and fixing the things wrong with it; and reading the magazines to try and learn more. As the internet and BB/forums started popping up, I spent alot of time reading the different sections learning as much as I could. By the time I graduated HS, I had collected more projects then i would be able to get completed, and would buy a vehicle just so i could learn about how they built them, and what made one type different than another.

I say all this to say.... Just because the kids dont have interest now, doesnt mean they wont ever. I have likely forgotten most of what i once knew, but it sparked a want to learn more about new things and technologies, even if i might not be ever be able to afford it. I know it is a challenge, as my 2 kids have little interest. They are still young, so i hope that will change.

Just because the kids dont have interest now, doesnt mean they wont ever. I have likely forgotten most of what i once knew, but it sparked a want to learn more about new things and technologies, even if i might not be ever be able to afford it. I know it is a challenge, as my 2 kids have little interest.

I think I Benjamin Buttoned the gearhead thing. I used to think I was a legit car guy. No one can fix/build/repair MY vehicle(s) quite like I can and everyone else's work was shit next to mine. Some of my fondest memories are me and my dad wrenching in the driveway learning new curse words, getting yelled at for not holding the flashlight in the proper location...and that eventual cross over in to the threshold of manhood when you start your own project and your dad asks what are you doing there and you tell him to shut up and hold the flashlight. Then somewhere in my mid to late 20's I wondered what dafuq I was doing hanging my ass over the fender of a vehicle daily/weekly. Then I started to realize it wasn't necessarily because I enjoyed it or because my work was all that great, it was done out of necessity. Great skills to have, no doubt...but these days I find myself much more inclined to cut a check. Part numbers, measurements, specs that I used to be able rattle off without thinking, now I have to look it up when someone asks. These days I just want to turn the key, point in the direction I want to head and go there.

Last edited:
.but these days I find myself much more inclined to cut a check.
I didn't know we were in the Fuck I'm Old thread, but I'm the exact same way. My days get eaten up with family time (not complaining). But my wrenching time is relegated to early in the morning before everyone is awake, or potentially during the day when everyone is busy doing their own thing.

I learned to wrench because we were poor folk who drove older vehicles that needed repair and we couldn't afford to pay someone to fix it. By the time my parents could afford to pay someone else to fix it, Daddy had learned enough that he just kept doing it himself to save the money, and that taught me that if I could do something then there was no need to pay someone else. It has taken me a long time to learn that my time has value too and sometimes even though I can do it doesn't mean it's the best choice. Of course now I have plenty of time, but still low on energy (and permission from doctors :rolleyes:), so I can't do as much as I want to.

Duane

I'm kind of bummed that Irate4x4 doesn't have more volume and isn't taking off. I guess forums really are dying. Maybe I'm part of the problem though because I'm just lurking and not posting?

Last edited:
I'd say it's doing alright. They've already been threatened with legal action from VS.

But yes, in order for it to grow people need to contribute.

Damn. That sucks. I wonder how strong their case is. That would suck if it got shut down.

Back