Pirate is over.

Believe it or not, years ago I knew a few things. I used to dig through threads and find information, which I would squirrel away in my brain. I would offer it up and contribute to conversations even. I even had build threads where I posted a lot of pictures. Now, I'm getting older. The number of irons in the fire are so many I've lost count. As terrible as it sounds, four wheeling isn't my #1 anymore. It's definitely top 5 but with work, the house, kids and constantly working on things beside the Jeep that knowledge has left me. I've given it some thought and I've come to the conclusion that my mind has a limited capacity (many of you know this). Much like the slowest buffalo in the herd, what's not at the front gets cut. I have so much going on anymore that all that good tech I used to keep in the library somehow found the burn pile. It's sad because I even have to look up torque specs for u-bolts and when I'm too lazy to do that I default to "good enough". I don't think anyone wants that kind of "tech".

You can ask any of the guys I wheel with. They know I'm not competing or running KOH. If the driveshaft is unbalanced, oh well. What's your pressures in your ORIs? fuck me, I don't know, they just work. How much tire pressure you got in the front? Maybe 7? Yeah, it's that bad. At one time I loved to build my Jeep to beat the toughest trails. That meant precision and proper math. Now, it's more important to spend time with my friends and have fun. Having your junk break down and cost everybody ride time is not fun and that's my sole motivation for keeping everything working correctly. That means bolt checks, fluid levels correct, and beefy welds. Sorry, I think I just went off on a tangent. The point is, is that I appreciate the tech provided by the members who share it. I can't really contribute anymore like I used to. I think that IG and FB are bullshit for tech. Cool for vids and showing off $500k rigs but that's it. Oh and boobies.

I'll end this ramble with that I'm in agreement with some of the other people that said message boards need to make a come back. IMO, it's the best record of knowledge. If done correctly it's an expansive library that can be referenced for years.

It's O.K.......you keep us supplied with a fresh sh!tbox meme about everyday,so all's forgiven :D

And any tech from me will be what to do with the extra bolts I ended up with after I finished project o_O

Last edited:
It's O.K.......you keep us supplied with a fresh sh!tbox meme about everyday,so all's forgiven :D

And any tech from me will be what to do with the extra bolts I ended up with after I finished project o_O
I can definitely meme harvest

@McCracken reminds me of Vice Grip Garage: entertaining as hell, and damned if you didn't happen to learn something too

Spend a weekend in the woods with him, you'll definitely pick up a thing or two. Nick and I started this hobby before all the new tech was common. We've both built and maintained some rigs with ingenuity.

Spend a weekend in the woods with him, you'll definitely pick up a thing or two. Nick and I started this hobby before all the new tech was common. We've both built and maintained some rigs with ingenuity.
I appreciate the kind words but I'm not sure if agree with "maintained'. "Somehow kept alive" would be more accurate.

does this mean Charlie Wenzel if finally safe to come back to the internet?
15 years since that shit.
Amazing.
Just think, that dude is in like his thirties now.

what about that dude that had USA 6x6 business? He started out legit then started taking people’s money and not shipping stuff if I remember correctly.

Daniel..... Lawson? In Oklahoma. He was a well intentioned guy. Got in way over his head and couldn’t admit he needed help. Pride sank him.

He started out legit then started taking people’s money and not shipping stuff if I remember correctly.
Doesn't that describe about half of the 4x4 related businesses that have come and gone through the years?

Doesn't that describe about half of the 4x4 related businesses that have come and gone through the years?
jeepstyle.JPG

Been absent for a minute...

Frankly, few (new wheelers) people care about the tech any longer. They're not trying to build or make anything themselves; they want to buy it, bolt it, and go. I even see this in my kids- I'll expand more on them in the next paragraph... Most of us, dare I say old timers, have absorbed most of what we need- to our ability level. As much as I have always enjoyed forums, the like button killed interaction. That button has turned more into a 'seen' button than any type of appreciation, and I'm guilty of it too. Something I've always held high on my list, is interaction via a typed response. Even now on IG and FB, if someone types a response to my post- read- is affected or cares enough, takes the time to physically type something, I do the same in return to show appreciation for their time and/or input. Maybe it's just where my skillset has grown or just I'm just old and hard headed; I don't search for tech in forums any longer, it's not there. I go to the source, via direct message or a phone call. It's damn faster than the search. I've become acquaintances via internet friends or actually meeting with enough people now, I don't mind making the call. The tech I'm interested in isn't typically shared anyway with the growth of our sport in the racing arena. It also contributed to the death of tech in forums. I love NC4x4, but it's tech is near gone, relative to new, higher end input.

Back to my kids: mainly Carter who is 14 now. Some of you might remember that he has been my wheeling kid since he was 5. He has become a poster child of the instant gratification nation. We recently got back from a trip to Minnesota/ Wisconsin. On the trip I stopped to shop the comanche to someone whose been eyeing it a few years, not telling Carter my intentions. He realized what was happening and finally showed legitimate concern. Given, he applies zero input to the wheeling life, aside from jumping in the passenger seat. Never helps in the shop, never preps for a trip, never packs the cooler- hell doesn't even know how to release the ratchet strap on the lid, never secures the rock crawler to the trailer, or packs his own clothes... absolutely nothing. At the ultra 4 race at AOP last summer, I cut a tire pulling Ken Carter back to camp during his practice laps, Ken's (10ish iirc) son jumped on changing my spare while Carter stared at the sky with his thumb up his ass. In Minnesota, a family we paired up with had a 10 yr old with his own buggy, who could actually drive; made Carter look like a toddler, with his knowledge and ability. Carter puts in zero effort, but now he wants the comanche... go figure. Maybe I haven't been the best step dad because I'm not going to force them to spend time in the shop, but when I was a child and my father had a Harley shop, you couldn't tell where I ended and dad's ass began.

Soooooo, trying to be a better father than his dead beat sperm donor, I canceled the trade deal. Told Carter, I'm taking all the drive/ powertrain, shocks, bumps, wheels and tires, basically expensive hard parts to build me a new buggy; and he can have the chassis. He would have to buy the parts - many of which I have from my recycling ventures; axles, motors, wheels, used tires, e.t.c. In this deal, I explained I would not do the work for him, aside from instruction of tools and processes. He would buy consumables, materials and parts. It'll be a 1.5 year ordeal minimum. It was of great discussion on our trip. I intentionally bashed as many panels on the truck at possible... and succeeded in trashing every single one but the doors and tailgate. With every crunch, he cringed and complained. My reply; you will learn how to do repairs and modifications- you're not acquiring a perfect rig for you to destroy until boredom. You must invest your time and brain power to have a stake in it. So far, (only two weeks now), he has shown a great deal of enthusiasm and interest. He got my copper stripped in record time for him, has been practicing his Google-fu, we drug the super duty axles out of the weeds, and he's starting the de-junking of the factory brackets tomorrow. We'll see how this plays out. He has expressed concern on how he will buy the big ticket items, and I told him if his interest stays high and he shows me that he is invested, I'll help him on holidays with such pieces as partial gifts. Time will tell.

Anyways, I got off subject.

The following generations aren't interested in building something, they don't need tech. With poor credit even, they can go get a sxs loaded to the max, a tow rig, and a trailer: to do almost the same stuff we're doing with our crawlers that were mapped out with years of forum tech and absorption. My current and future customers are mostly capable of building their rigs, but they're of age, familial and careers that don't afford them the time any longer. They're established, and can afford to pay someone they trust to build their rig now.

I'll continue to post, and keep my shop thread, and probably a build thread on the new buggy. Likely less voluntary explanation than in the past, but if a question is asked I will expand. If you only want to see pretty pictures, y'all can come 'like' them on IG/FB [emoji1787].

As per forum history, this thread sucks without pics...

Matt
Cutlerfab
a3c0b5fd0a5c5db2cddf099005c58cc9.jpg
88ef211f4a74014610ece92b7be4c9b3.jpg
96a4cd1a03db2be2c58fc1938b0235f5.jpg
4301424c7c88d6caa3ddefd680ec44d9.jpg
26443dd6023a6711586c7a97bb49f078.jpg
cce43ddeb03279c05057f697bed786bf.jpg
a3f53756835f46e7611fc273405d1195.jpg
826e15490646f71537786d49e1fdf2e5.jpg
9aa8cf274eda4a6180075f9b147d6128.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Frankly, few (new wheelers) people care about the tech any longer. They're not trying to build or make anything themselves; they want to buy it, bolt it, and go. I even see this in my kids- I'll expand more on them in the next paragraph... Most of us, dare I say old timers, have absorbed most of what we need- to our ability level. As much as I have always enjoyed forums, the like button killed interaction. That button has turned more into a 'seen' button than any type of appreciation, and I'm guilty of it too. Something I've always held high on my list, is interaction via a typed response. Even now on IG and FB, if someone types a response to my post- read- is affected or cares enough, takes the time to physically type something, I do the same in return to show appreciation for their time and/or input. Maybe it's just where my skillset has grown or just I'm just old and hard headed; I don't search for tech in forums any longer, it's not there. I go to the source, via direct message or a phone call. It's damn faster than the search. I've become acquaintances via internet friends or actually meeting with enough people now, I don't mind making the call. The tech I'm interested in isn't typically shared anyway with the growth of our sport in the racing arena. It also contributed to the death of tech in forums. I love NC4x4, but it's tech is near gone, relative to new, higher end input.

Back to my kids: mainly Carter who is 14 now. Some of you might remember that he has been my wheeling kid since he was 5. He has become a poster child of the instant gratification nation. We recently got back from a trip to Minnesota/ Wisconsin. On the trip I stopped to shop the comanche to someone whose been eyeing it a few years, not telling Carter my intentions. He realized what was happening and finally showed legitimate concern. Given, he applies zero input to the wheeling life, aside from jumping in the passenger seat. Never helps in the shop, never preps for a trip, never packs the cooler- hell doesn't even know how to release the ratchet strap on the lid, never secures the rock crawler to the trailer, or packs his own clothes... absolutely nothing. At the ultra 4 race at AOP last summer, I cut a tire pulling Ken Carter back to camp during his practice laps, Ken's (10ish iirc) son jumped on changing my spare while Carter stared at the sky with his thumb up his ass. In Minnesota, a family we paired up with had a 10 yr old with his own buggy, who could actually drive; made Carter look like a toddler, with his knowledge and ability. Carter puts in zero effort, but now he wants the comanche... go figure. Maybe I haven't been the best step dad because I'm not going to force them to spend time in the shop, but when I was a child and my father had a Harley shop, you couldn't tell where I ended and dad's ass began.

Soooooo, trying to be a better father than his dead beat sperm donor, I canceled the trade deal. Told Carter, I'm taking all the drive/ powertrain, shocks, bumps, wheels and tires, basically expensive hard parts to build me a new buggy; and he can have the chassis. He would have to buy the parts - many of which I have from my recycling ventures; axles, motors, wheels, used tires, e.t.c. In this deal, I explained I would not do the work for him, aside from instruction of tools and processes. He would buy consumables, materials and parts. It'll be a 1.5 year ordeal minimum. It was of great discussion on our trip. I intentionally bashed as many panels on the truck at possible... and succeeded in trashing every single one but the doors and tailgate. With every crunch, he cringed and complained. My reply; you will learn how to do repairs and modifications- you're not acquiring a perfect rig for you to destroy until boredom. You must invest your time and brain power to have a stake in it. So far, (only two weeks now), he has shown a great deal of enthusiasm and interest. He got my copper stripped in record time for him, has been practicing his Google-fu, we drug the super duty axles out of the weeds, and he's starting the de-junking of the factory brackets tomorrow. We'll see how this plays out. He has expressed concern on how he will buy the big ticket items, and I told him if his interest stays high and he shows me that he is invested, I'll help him on holidays with such pieces as partial gifts. Time will tell.

The following generations aren't interested in building something, they don't need tech. With poor credit even, they can go get a sxs loaded to the max, a tow rig, and a trailer: to do almost the same stuff we're doing with our crawlers that were mapped out with years of forum tech and absorption. My current and future customers are mostly capable of building their rigs, but they're of age, familial and careers that don't afford them the time any longer. They're established, and can afford to pay someone they trust to build their rig now.

I'll continue to post, and keep my shop thread, and probably a build thread on the new buggy. Likely less voluntary explanation than in the past, but if a question is asked I will expand. If you only want to see pretty pictures, y'all can come 'like' them on IG/FB [emoji1787].

Matt
Cutlerfab

I liked it. :flipoff2:

Beating it up last weekend makes a lot of sense now. I saw the damage previously and thought that was going to cost you a lot of time in the shop to fix.

Also, I can back up what you said about the "like" button. The threads/day and posts/day around here have stayed mostly the same over the years, but the use of the like button has increased almost exponentially.

I’m mainly a lurker, so I’ll like someone comment/post, but most the time I don’t have anything of value to add. Lol

Matt
Cutlerfab

Really just liked that out of spite. Haha.

The credit/finance comment is so damn true. I’ll never forget being at RBD a few years ago and the subject came up of how much a new Rzr runs and the guy only knew his payment. That’s it.

Awesome story and awesome project for the kid. If/when he gets it done and mine is done, I’ll drive mine in from Claudville and meet y’all at Odell’s for some food and general bench Wheelin. The lesson being taught strikes the right way with me, I’ve taken a similar approach recently to people wanting to come and hunt with me, mainly newer hunters. Want to come hunt, then come help pre-season. Hang stands, clear trails, plant food plots. Really see the work that goes into it. Not just show up and sit in a stand and drink beer.

Matt
Cutlerfab

Love this. I hope he sticks with it and you both get a lot out of the time together, if nothing else!

I like a lot of tech and photos in build threads because I can appreciate the work and ingenuity but don't have much to add. :lol:

There's a lot of hard truth in that post . As much as I try I still can't get one of my kids to show initiative. Throw a tablet in front her and it's game on. Any form of labor or work and it's lights out. My youngest asks all the time about working on the Jeep. I have a feeling in the future that she'll be mad because me and youngest will be out doing things together. All she has to do is ask me anything and I'll show her what I know or take her anywhere. She has asked a few questions while I've been remodeling the basement but I'm talking about a 10 second stop to say, "what does that do?".

I think we have a lot of good parents on this board but I see a common theme with kids. I know it's a constant battle to try and keep kids engaged but I'm not naive enough to know that they all have different interests. The last couple of days I've spent thinking about how to get the older one more involved outdoors. About the only 100% guarantee is fishing. She'll do that almost without asking. Wheeling.... maybe that's not her thing and it's not a battle to try and fight.

As far as the tech goes. I still think there's value in forums. The reason you call people is because that's your instant gratification. You know who to call and that they'll know the answer. I can only imagine the number of calls @Jody Treadway receives each day. I do my best not to bother people. I'll search until I get stuck. For the people out there that don't have those connections I think they'll search too. The diesel bros and fake country kids will probably look on IG :flipoff2:

Back