Pirate is over.

I haven't been following along, is there any reasonto believe that old threads, pics etc will be taken down from PBB?
Given that they are clearly driven by ad revenue and need eyeballs. I'd think they'd want to maintain as much as possible.
I've seen threads where people want to know how to delete all their past content and close accounts.

I've seen threads where people want to know how to delete all their past content and close accounts.
Maybe I'm missing something. Why would you do that? I can see closing your account, but whatbenefit do you have by deleting your content?
Other than it bein ga threat against the owners who depend on it being there? Just seems like you're cutting off the community who was the reason it was posted in the first place.

Maybe I'm missing something. Why would you do that? I can see closing your account, but whatbenefit do you have by deleting your content?
Other than it bein ga threat against the owners who depend on it being there? Just seems like you're cutting off the community who was the reason it was posted in the first place.
I believe that was their whole point. To show how pissed they were at the new owners. Most of the same folks have moved to irate and started new tech threads as well. I usually hit all the forums I'm on at least once a day and scroll through new posts, but the only forums I'm really active on are here, Fairlane club of America, and a few FB Fairlane and old truck pages. The tech on FB and pages that list local car shows and cruise ins are really the only reason I still use FB now that my sister and her family are back home (military).

hmm. should someone start a web wheelers forum? :flipoff2:

Because I am not a smart man, web wheeling is the only type of wheeling I have done in 4 years!

I was being dead serious. Would be some funny stuff. Someone who is technologically savvy should do it!
If I were more motivated, I would buy:
20200527_121953.jpg

And then have it redirect to NC4x4 ;)

This thread reminded me to cancel my automatic subscription renewal for Pirate (used to be a BRC contributor, now I see it changed to just a "Premium" thing). I go there less than I visit here as it just wasn't interesting anymore.

Bc most of the money VS makes is thru search results and traffic from such. Deleting the tech will kill the traffic, as the search results will be pointless.

Spite and remove foot traffic...I did it on FTE years ago. I quite possibly have the largest 73-79 Ford dealer literature library (even larger than Fordification, whose creator was just hired to be the new head LMC Ford technical writer) in the country, have even been in contact with Kevin Marti for missing 73-79 truck data...drove a lot of traffic through the 73-79 forums with fact manuals, dealer options, plant manufacturing capabilities, press releases, diagrams, etc etc. The FTE site owner pissed me off, so I disabled every photo hosting page I had and got banned midway through deleting any technical thread I had created. I moved over to the FTF site for a few years and a considerable number of members did as well. Since then, I've been data sharing with Keith (fordification) if he needs it, and I've scanned all my literature and use them as giveaways in my FB groups.

Spite and remove foot traffic...I did it on FTE years ago. I quite possibly have the largest 73-79 Ford dealer literature library (even larger than Fordification, whose creator was just hired to be the new head LMC Ford technical writer) in the country, have even been in contact with Kevin Marti for missing 73-79 truck data...drove a lot of traffic through the 73-79 forums with fact manuals, dealer options, plant manufacturing capabilities, press releases, diagrams, etc etc. The FTE site owner pissed me off, so I disabled every photo hosting page I had and got banned midway through deleting any technical thread I had created. I moved over to the FTF site for a few years and a considerable number of members did as well. Since then, I've been data sharing with Keith (fordification) if he needs it, and I've scanned all my literature and use them as giveaways in my FB groups.
Why do you have so many documents?

Why do you have so many documents?

Started out life as a 73-79 fan, owned several, had a knack for fixing/flipping them, casually collected literature for the years I had, progressed in to a quest to eliminate perpetuated innernet ignorance, turned in to a failed business opportunity (merchandising fees are expensive)...and these days I just get tagged to end arguments. Tough to argue about Ford’s intent/specs when you have their literal fact manuals...

8E233629-026C-46D9-BAF8-5DB094A78FC2.jpeg

Same Keith from jeepforum? God I miss Keith. Wish he never sold.

Vertical scope decided to “upgrade” pirate.

It’s now worse than ever, with editing limits, inability to delete posts and threads, every third post is an ad, and overall suck.

A lot of people are migrating over to irate 4x4.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those here that still ventured over there. Going to pull the plug on pirate soon, just like I have with hardline.
I saw where you signed up. Pirate used to be my go to forum. I actually preferred it over this one. Once it got sold and a handful of other things occurred (PB pic debacle, log in issues, etc), I gave up, pulled my star, and made this my home base. I hope it takes off. I enjoyed the bullshitting and builds. In its heyday, it was tough to beat. I'm not saying I'm leaving here (sorry folks) but it's nice to have another haunt to check out.

There used to be webwheeling.com forum. I believe it was for ZJs. @BigClay might recall?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mallcrawlin.com

It is still around but pretty much dead like the others. They have a FB group now where the OGs still talk trash to each other. On the FB page the owner of the forum just recently mentioned locking the forum down to new content but keeping it active for search since it has so much good tech there (well for all things ZJ related that is)

so what prevents NC from being heavily tech?.......hitting a much smaller demographic and much fewer dedicated gear head wheelers??

so what prevents NC from being heavily tech?.......hitting a much smaller demographic and much fewer dedicated gear head wheelers??
We don’t have the bloated California salaries?

I really enjoyed the tech and build threads over there but stopped going due to the forum technical issues and advertising. RIP Pirate.

So I will say, over the last decade the overall tech here has decreased in volume a lot. I'd bet @shawn could pull some stats to prove me right or wrong, but it seems the rate of new trheads in Gen Tech and reply rate etc has dropped. Same w/ the build threads.
I know the overall size of the toyota community is just lower than it used to be... don't know if this is b/c all the Toys have rusted away, or people moved on to other sites, or what.
Meanwhile Chit Chat is still rollin' along lol.

But to answer your question, I suspect it is just volume of people in various topical areas. This is by definition a regional board. people aren't showing up from Nevada and CA etc where there are lot of trucks and offroading is a big thing. Then take that smaller population and divide it among all the vehicle subtypes... Just not a huge base to draw from.
If I have a really specific Toyota problem, I'm taking it to yotatech or formerly PBB or Hardline, someplace else that has a lot of Toy guys.

Forums are dead/dying in general. Love it or hate it, FB groups and IG pics are where it's at today. I'd bet most folks that are still on forums are the ones that typically have the answers or have already built their rigs, so unless they're just sharing their knowledge to rehash what they already know or what they've done, what's the point. 15 years ago when I started forum-ing you had the old dudes that would never hop online (but were a wealth of knowledge) because wrenching is done in person and you can't learn anything from a screen. Fast forward 15 years, everyone that was all hyped about forums is doing/saying the same thing about more modern social networking platforms. 20 years from now, people that are cool with FB/IG today will be bitching about hologram networking, 100 years from then people will be bitching about teleporting.

it seems the rate of new trheads in Gen Tech and reply rate etc has dropped. Same w/ the build threads..

There are reasons why several folks that USE to be big on here and former vendors don't post here at ALL any more.

They'll tell you in person...but it basically has to do with tech threads being picked apart by know-it-alls.

Hell Fuller's about the only one willing to post any new tech...and, well, you see how THAT goes

Back