Pirate is over.

There are reasons why several folks that USE to be big on here and former vendors don't post here at ALL any more.

They'll tell you in person...but it basically has to do with tech threads being picked apart by know-it-alls.

Hell Fuller's about the only one willing to post any new tech...and, well, you see how THAT goes
Well then maybe you should stop being such an asshole.

There are reasons why several folks that USE to be big on here and former vendors don't post here at ALL any more.

They'll tell you in person...but it basically has to do with tech threads being picked apart by know-it-alls.

Hell Fuller's about the only one willing to post any new tech...and, well, you see how THAT goes

Unfortunately this is true.

I think Pirate grew as big as it did, based on timing. They were around in the beginning and BB and just kept growing.

I don't disagree with some of the comments mentioned, and mainly think forums are dying because the younger crowd wants to do their "own" thing. Just like everything else they do in life. Generations migrate from what the previous was doing to something new.

If social media is like everything else, and history will repeat itself... it may not look the same, but eventually people will want something better for info, than FB or IG and they will go to something that works like a forum, but "new". I believe that YT is a decent tech platform, but not so much for conversation. If you could format and organize FB in a way where you could find things again, it wouldn't be so bad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

so what prevents NC from being heavily tech?.......hitting a much smaller demographic and much fewer dedicated gear head wheelers??
The government. Out west the federal lands are the wheeling and offroad recreation playground. On the east coast, the only ones left are being Kodak'd and Tellico'd away.

Problem around here is there aren't any real techy people. Just a bunch of bolt on web wheeler types
Very little tech to actually share
Anybody seen my hammer?
IMG_20200528_155311694.jpg

I still have a yellow star (never got added to the forum vendor list after 3 years, but oh well), but I just post as a civilian asshole. Stopped posting sales here when I noticed members passive aggressively bitching about bumping 4-5 threads every month or two.

The race shop thread I really hoped would turn in to more discussion...if there was ever an opportunity to talk tech, I figured that would be it. I stopped posting there because it was only the same half dozen folks that like me here, liking the posts. Maybe wrong audience, maybe I talk about myself too much, so now I just stir shit and stick to the garage/gen con.

^Hey, who called this meeting without me? :D

Those are probably the same people who say that I hired Dynomite just so that I could flame his work on the forum.

Those are probably the same people who say that I hired Dynomite just so that I could flame his work on the forum.
Geez, that was quite the scheme of yours. Really paid off.

One of the last technical threads I started here went as follows:

I posted an observation of cutting edge tech, and wanted to expand the discussion with the people that are smarter than I.

Then I had a member chime in and tell me it could be done that way, my explanation of how it worked was way wrong, couldn’t be possible to be done that way, why would anyone do that, etc.

I dropped it.

A year later, that exact thing I was talking about was the new norm for a small segment. The way I hypothesized how it worked, was the exact way it was being used, and worked in that exact aspect.

Given I was just observing and hypothesizing, my guesses were only made true after a year and more first hand observation and questions.

That made me personally not want to share any more, or share much less.

To me, it was the equivalent of arguing semantics while the original point was wasn’t addressed or discussed.

Now I just try to share with those who ask questions or specifically where I can on a topic.

It made me not want to share theories as much, and that’s not my personality. I don’t want to hold my knowledge hostage, but the climate has made me want to share less bc I don’t feel like arguing over side points that arent exactly pertinent to the topic.

Just my .02.

The other side to that coin is a lot of the tech has progressed so far, that the ones that know, don’t talk about it, until someone goes out on a limb to release the knowledge for in some way, their benefit.

Geographically we aren’t around the cutting edge of things in this industry.

Last edited:

I posted an observation of cutting edge tech, and wanted to expand the discussion with the people that are smarter than I.

Then I had a member chime in and tell me it could be done that way, my explanation of how it worked was way wrong, couldn’t be possible to be done that way, why would anyone do that, etc.

I dropped it.

A year later, that exact thing I was talking about was the new norm for a small segment. The way I hypothesized how it worked, was the exact way it was being used, and worked in that exact aspect.

Given I was just observing and hypothesizing, my guesses were only made true after a year and more first hand observation and questions.

To me, it was the equivalent of arguing semantics while the original point was wasn’t addressed or discussed.

Now I just try to share with those who ask questions or specifically where I can on a topic.

It made me not want to share theories as much, and that’s not my personality. I don’t want to hold my knowledge hostage, but the climate has made me want to share less bc I don’t feel like arguing over side points that are exactly pertinent to the topic.

Just my .02.

The other side to that coin is a lot of the tech has progressed so far, that the ones that know, don’t talk about it, until someone goes out on a limb to release the knowledge for in some way, their benefit.

That is what the Ignore function on this site is useful for.

I dropped it.

It made me not want to share theories as much, and that’s not my personality. I don’t want to hold my knowledge hostage, but the climate has made me want to share less bc I don’t feel like arguing over side points that are exactly pertinent to the topic.

Just my .02.

Was that the spring/suspension thread??? Maybe that wasn’t you...but I was really looking forward to that one. I’m completely ignorant below the frame outside of bolt on lifts, and was looking forward to the education.

Was that the spring/suspension thread??? Maybe that wasn’t you...but I was really looking forward to that one. I’m completely ignorant below the frame outside of bolt on lifts, and was looking forward to the education.

That was me, but not that thread.

I was regurgitating others thoughts in that thread and combing with my own theory. Since I have confirmed some theory in the real world.

Just honestly haven’t took the time to sit down, find where I was in my stream of consciousness and finish that thread.

Mid way thru I had some life stuff that majorly stalled it.

I want to add some visual aids to help explain things that make my long winded tech crap easier to digest.

I like the questions that generate convo.....my take is well it's available elsewhere. So why post. My take also is the other place sucks exponentially for the other associated b.s..

So I guess I'm looking for an improbable balance. All else considered the Area local to good ol' NC just isn't the hot bed of hard core exploration of fabrication and development. Unless your roots are embedded in slow car.(Nascar) I also think that's a dead horse. Which is also highly isolated and privatized.

Please bring on the tech......I have no time for multiple perusing. I'm slowly picking up on web channels via You-tube.....but I hate the disconnected feeling and lack of convo.

I’m pretty sure people get annoyed with my Build thread updates. And generally I can find the info I need through the searching, 90% of the time. Really I’m not doing anything fancy working on the k5. Cutlers threads definitely make me want to learn more skills and shit I bug Jody too much with questions a lot.

I’ve noticed the younger people I meet aren’t about that forum life. I’ve even tried to get some to engage up here And you’ll see a few post but they don’t like to read. Everyone wants answers to questions, but they don’t want to put the effort a lot of us went through skimming build and tech threads for just one little piece of info. And really that bothers the shit out of me over the new guys to the sport. I know there are so many of y’all that have way more knowledge than I, but I know the effort I’ve put in to learn this stuff, these new cats ain’t about that.

I’ve noticed the younger people I meet aren’t about that forum life. I’ve even tried to get some to engage up here And you’ll see a few post but they don’t like to read. Everyone wants answers to questions, but they don’t want to put the effort a lot of us went through skimming build and tech threads for just one little piece of info. And really that bothers the shit out of me over the new guys to the sport. I know there are so many of y’all that have way more knowledge than I, but I know the effort I’ve put in to learn this stuff, these new cats ain’t about that.
What they want is a Youtube video of somebody showing them exactly how to do it.

But it can't be more than 90 seconds long b/c thats the extent of their attention span.

These days you don't need forums for information like you (we) did 15 years ago. Back then in the days before FB and IG, you had to dig through archaic search functions to see how a SYE went together, or the snap ring sequence in a transmission, etc
Now, you just YouTube it and boom, there it is
My BIL ( not @thebrotherinlaw, my other BIL) used to be huge on Foxbody forums and very highly respected. He was a successful vendor for many years. Then FB, IG and other social media outlets gained popularity and his forum significance diminished.

I'll be more than happy to post occasional tech items. Not that I'm a genius or anything, but I do keep my hands pretty greasy these days.
Just this evening I thought about doing so on how to properly set backlash and preload on a drop out third.

Believe it or not, years ago I knew a few things. I used to dig through threads and find information, which I would squirrel away in my brain. I would offer it up and contribute to conversations even. I even had build threads where I posted a lot of pictures. Now, I'm getting older. The number of irons in the fire are so many I've lost count. As terrible as it sounds, four wheeling isn't my #1 anymore. It's definitely top 5 but with work, the house, kids and constantly working on things beside the Jeep that knowledge has left me. I've given it some thought and I've come to the conclusion that my mind has a limited capacity (many of you know this). Much like the slowest buffalo in the herd, what's not at the front gets cut. I have so much going on anymore that all that good tech I used to keep in the library somehow found the burn pile. It's sad because I even have to look up torque specs for u-bolts and when I'm too lazy to do that I default to "good enough". I don't think anyone wants that kind of "tech".

You can ask any of the guys I wheel with. They know I'm not competing or running KOH. If the driveshaft is unbalanced, oh well. What's your pressures in your ORIs? fuck me, I don't know, they just work. How much tire pressure you got in the front? Maybe 7? Yeah, it's that bad. At one time I loved to build my Jeep to beat the toughest trails. That meant precision and proper math. Now, it's more important to spend time with my friends and have fun. Having your junk break down and cost everybody ride time is not fun and that's my sole motivation for keeping everything working correctly. That means bolt checks, fluid levels correct, and beefy welds. Sorry, I think I just went off on a tangent. The point is, is that I appreciate the tech provided by the members who share it. I can't really contribute anymore like I used to. I think that IG and FB are bullshit for tech. Cool for vids and showing off $500k rigs but that's it. Oh and boobies.

I'll end this ramble with that I'm in agreement with some of the other people that said message boards need to make a come back. IMO, it's the best record of knowledge. If done correctly it's an expansive library that can be referenced for years.

@McCracken nailed it. Much like the undocumented laborer did to the large white chick. :flipoff2:

Forums are still by far my favorite (and primary) source of information and reference. Many of the FB pages are full of newb stuff like "what tire fits, what size light bar, etc". At this point in my hobby, I, like most of y'all are way past those. But when you see someone offer up solid tech like what @Mac5005, @mcutler and other do, it's worth the read. Whether or not you reply or respond, well maybe you're just absorbing the info for now. Obviously there are times where someone, ahem..., posts up their own version of tech and soon thereafter some members offer corrective advice. What ensues can either be a dumpster fire or a heartfelt thanks for the constructive criticism. Either way, that can be used by future newbs entering into our sport.

I recall back in 2003ish I wanted to cut off the back of my YJ and extend the rear frame and add wheelbase. I found a post by H8Mondays on Pirate where he had done a similar thing (kids, this was a major "build" nearly 20 years ago). I joined Pirate and really enjoyed the tech and learned a whole lot while reading. I remember all of BillaVista's tech pages. Hydro assist, Dana 60 Bible, rear disc brakes, etc. Then I'd go to TSC with part numbers in hand and buy the same fittings, hoses and tractor ram he used. Those were the days of internet off roading tech.

Then I paid up and joined the Trailer Park. I began reading posts by a smart ass dude named @McCracken. Then my world changed forever.

Since I'm goofing off at work (and not pooping as I was during my previous reply) and have the time for this lengthy reply. I'll start posting some random techy stuff as I'm working on projects in my shop. Next week I have a couple 14 Bolts to regear, an XJ to finish a 4 speed Atlas swap on and a HP Toy third to rebuild. I'll document something interesting.

Just be gentle, I'm a delicate flower and don't take criticism well :D

I found a post by H8Mondays on Pirate where he had done a similar thing (kids, this was a major "build" nearly 20 years ago).
Exactly. One of the other big draws of PBB back in the day was that - up until that point - everybody had been in their own make-focused email distribution lists, which were slowly morphing into make-focused forums. PBB covered all the makes, and so there was a lot of 'crossover' tech from folks sharing their knowledge of Chevy/Toyota/tractor parts to solve new problems.

Back