Burrellsjeep Project: Eugene

Well we finished the tube work and welding on the cage, Just need to clean it up and put some paint on it today.

Few pictures from yesterday, (The wife had the camera)

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_005_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_007_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_002_2.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_018.jpg

We even got some work done on Kyle's (Wrangler00)

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_036.jpg

Showing thanks

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_037.jpg

I will get some pictures today, Hopefully with paint.

Well it is done, I put paint on today, I am really liking how it has turned out, Thanks to everyone that helped me with this.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_012_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_010_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_011_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_009_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_013_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_014_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_017_1.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_019_1.jpg

Frame tie in, it a piece of 2 x 2 .250 wall square tube, I welded a piece of 1.5 .250 DOM on top and slid it into the 1.75 tube and welded around it, I just wanted to be sure it was tied in well, I plan to box it in a little more later, When I tie the rear hoops to the frame, but it should work for now

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_023_1.jpg

Looking good man.......I need to come check it out sometime.

did you sand the factory bar before you painted it or did you just paint over it

Wire brush to scuff it up then primed it and painted over it. I would suggest 3 cans of primer, and 6 cans of paint to put a good two coats on. I also would HIGHY SUGGEST wearing latex gloves and a face mask along with something over your hair.

It was hell getting white paint out of every inch of my hands and face and hair.

Yeah you should,
Were normally here on the weekends working on some one Jeep. Your more than welcome to come hang out some time.
Maybe you can get Swampy finished and we can wheel these things some time.

I have to put my new ps pump on and have a new steering hose made and it will be drivable. Then I will work out the small things.

looks awesome man, cant wait for this ride coming up.. Awesome work though.

looks awesome man, cant wait for this ride coming up.. Awesome work though.

Yep I can't wait either, Should be a fun ride, And thanks

Nice work like the cage

Thanks, It was fun to do, I just need to do a front bumper, rear bumper and tire carrier now that I have got the hang of the tube bender and notcher.

Got most of the jeep put back together,

I was able to alter the sound bar to fit the new tubes, I put the sound bar on the cage and traced around the tubes, Then cut the fabric in the center of the two lines on either side of the tube, Then cut out the metal, Folded the fabric under attached it with so good old duct tape. I think it turned out well. Was even able to squeezed the light back in.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_001_3.jpg

In order to use the soft top I had planed to cut the latches which worked great.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_002_3.jpg

Here is how it sits now

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_Linked_005_2.jpg

sweet sweet man. Drive it to hudson and we can put it on the hill climb here at my house.

sweet sweet man. Drive it to hudson and we can put it on the hill climb here at my house.

The plan is to get it cleaned up for my son's birthday ride Saturday at Brown Mt. Hope its as nice as it was last Saturday. But yeah Jeff I would like to ride up sometime, when I have time. That way I can see how Swampy's coming along.

Sweet jeep bro, Ima steel some of your specs on the steering and track, im doing a 44/44 swap and was looking for a steering solution and i like your setup! cage looks beast BTW! and also does the gut who made you long arm brackets will he deliver? i would deff get some from him

Sweet jeep bro, Ima steel some of your specs on the steering and track, im doing a 44/44 swap and was looking for a steering solution and i like your setup! cage looks beast BTW! and also does the gut who made you long arm brackets will he deliver? i would deff get some from him

Thanks, The guy the that cut the brackets is Mud Pro, His web site is www.MudProMetalWorks.com, He will ship them, There a custom part, Contact him and tell him its the brackets that he made for Mike with the Trail Jammers, He should still have the drawings on file, if not I will email them to him for ya. I would suggest building the steering out of 1.5 .250 DOM as apposed to the 1.75 3/8 that I used. The 1.75 is just to much over kill, I had it as left over from the 3 link. I built one for a buddy a few weeks ago out of 1.5 and it turned out very nice. Let me know if you have any questions.

Looks awesome man. Keep it up

Thanks for the comments, Next I am going to put use to the 20 foot stick of 1.5 .120 I have laying in the floor, and Build me some front fenders and do JK turn signals under the head lights. Might have a few ideas for a front bumper also :D

Would you mind sending me the specs on your steering heims, you track bar ends and both sides of you arm ends? I would greatly appreciate, I am planning on attempting to do custom steering along with long arms with basically the same set up that you have drawn up! if you have any links with information and products if you wouldnt mind lending me a quick hand with them! thanks for your time bud! Great looking JEEP BTW!!

Would you mind sending me the specs on your steering heims, you track bar ends and both sides of you arm ends? I would greatly appreciate, I am planning on attempting to do custom steering along with long arms with basically the same set up that you have drawn up! if you have any links with information and products if you wouldnt mind lending me a quick hand with them! thanks for your time bud! Great looking JEEP BTW!!

Not a problem at all. I will get ya something together later. Setting up for my sons offroading birthday party tomorrow.

My Steering Setup Parts List and Info

Here is what I have in my Steering and Track Bar.

Parts:

I begin by measuring between the tie rod mounts on the knuckles, This will help when you get ready to cut the DOM for the tie rod. I measured from center of the hole in the knuckle to center of the other hole. Then I removed the factory steering set up, A tie rod end puller helps a ton. Next cut the factory Sway Bar and Steering Stabilizer mounts off the axle. I also trimmed the spring perches as close the spring as possible. Then I drilled the knuckles out to 5/8, I got a 5/8 bit from the industrial supply house a good bit and strong drill makes it easier.

Now you can start mocking up the tie rods, I took my heim and threaded into the bung so that half of the threads are engaged and inserted it in the 10 foot stick of DOM, That way you can measure from center of the bore in the heim to the edge of the DOM. Take that measurement and multiply by two. Now take that measurement and substract it from the measurement you got from the stock tie rod. This will tell you how long the DOM for the tie rod needs to be. Cut it and take it together. I went ahead and mount it to the knuckles using the step down spacers.

Then drilled out the pit man arm, And the Multi-Purpose Tabs to 5/8s. Next I mounted the heims to the pitman arm (Still mount on the jeep) using the High Misalignment spacers and multi-purpose tabs using the step down spacers be sure to have the bungs threaded on to half the thread is showing. I set the tabs on top of the Tie Rod with the tips at the end of the DOM, The bolted heim holds the tabs together allowing it to sit on top of the tie rod. Now measure between the Bung Flange (Edge of the bung that touches the DOM) on the pitman arm and the Bung Flange on one at tabs to get the measurement of the Drag Link.

I used a scrap piece of 3/16 to box in the top of the tabs to make it stronger. I made some bushings for my steering out of scrap shock bushings for the front of the TJ the top side. I felt the steering to have a little play in it from the roll of the heims. We built the steering for "Wrangler00" with out the bushings and it feels the same so not sure there needed. I mounted my Tie Rod under the knuckle due to the size of my DOM, 1.5 DOM would fit on top to allow for better clearance.

Use a plum on a string to get the center of the jeep and mark it on the axle, remove the Track bar, the jeep will shift to the side, use a ratchet strap to pull it back to center. You will need to drill out the Track Bar mount on the Jeep and the one from Ruff Stuff its sent with 9/16s holes in it. I mounted the heim in the track bar mounts, same way as the drag link so you can measure. Place the track bar axle mount on the axle as close to the spring perch as possible. Then you can get the measurement for the track bar DOM. Mock it up and tack it together. I rotated the axle mount to get the angle as close to the drag link as possible. Then tack it to the axle.

Finally if all looks good burn all the welds in adding the gusset to the track bar mount.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_007_1.jpg_a0fb643be4914d9a95e3c7845870206f.jpg

I have had good luck with this set up. But I am no pro fab shop so be sure you do it so that it is safe. If your not a welder have someone weld it at a shop, I did.

It's about time for a Brown Mtn ride eh?

Yep.....I had it out yesterday doing hot laps around the woods.

Back