Burrellsjeep Project: Eugene

Been doing more wheeling than working on the Jeep so I haven't updated this very much. But I have some "Bugs" to work out of my front 3 link, I need to relocate my upper frame mount, I need to push the front out a little and its maxed the upper and I have a really bad caster angle at the moment. So am going to move the upper mount and correct it.

Before I wheel it again, I will need to replace the joints in the D30 there shot, I going to put some 760s in it.

Replaced the Front U joints in the Dana 30, Should be a lot better now, I had a very annoying squeak coming from the driver front, there no bearing left in the joint and the cap was busted.

Planned on going to the Benefit ride today, but due to my boys being sick, I had to stay home. I was able to ride over and pick up a tire carrier from Chris (Novacayne) Thanks again for that! Since I was home I started on it.

Here is what I started with, I mocked it up on the back of the Jeep.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0045.jpg

It was previously built to be mounted with four heim joints, I am going to do a solid hinge on the bottom and heims on the top.

The hinge is 1.75 .120 sleeved over 1.5 .120 tube.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0052.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0057.jpg

I took some 3/8 tabs I had and made some mounting brackets, It was time consuming figuring out all how the carrier would sit, I ended up cutting the tabs at an angle to push the carrier back so it would sit where I wanted it.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0049.jpg

Here they are mount to the hinge.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0053.jpg

Here is the end cap I made for the hinge, i tacked it on so I can remove it if needed, i plan to put a zerk in it the end to re apply grease, i packed it full before I welded it on.

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0055.jpg

Thats as far as I got today, hopefully I will finish it up tomorrow. I have next week off and were heading to URE on Thursday, so I plan to have all the loose ends finished by then.

Finished the carrier, turned out very nice. Went wheeling in URE and broke all kinds of stuff. I broke three times over three days.

First issue and second issue, spawns from this

271179_247796505246721_100000491194492_1051729_1366328_n.jpg

I have a issue with the rear suspension that's allowing the axle to over rotate and snap the u joint at the pinion. I will temp fix it with some limiting straps, but it needs to be completly redone, its still short armed and thats on the list.

Finale issue is the clutch let go after I (with the help of some friends) got the suspension and drive shaft back going. So i am in the process of replacing the clutch, gotta get all this done by 8/5 which is the Toy run in mt city, its going to be close.

^^^That looks like a real issue. Where is the coil in that picture?

Going to build/buy some long arms for the rear?

For a cheap and easy fix you should call up scott at mudpro and have him cut you out a disc to bolt between the bump pocket and coil bucket in the rear to retain the rear springs. Should need a 1/4 plate cut in a circle about 3" dia. with a 1/2" hole in the middle. Just un-bolt the rear bump cup from the bucket. It looks like you already have a BS spacer. Put the plate in below the spacer and bolt it back up. I think I'd replace the BS bolt with a grade 8 or higher bolt while you're at it.

Spent couple of hours today pulling the transmission so I can replace the clutch.

Was a bit time consuming since you have to pull the driveshafts, Transfer and exhaust to get to it.

Here is what the clutch looked like,

Some debris from the clutch
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0076.jpg

Flywheel
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0078.jpg

ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0080.jpg

Old Clutch
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0084.jpg

Pressure plate has groves worn in it.
ai298.photobucket.com_albums_mm279_burrellsjeep_IMAG0083.jpg

The clutch has no pad what so ever on the pressure plate side. Taking the flywheel next week to be resurfaced and put it back together next weekend.

Mike I suggest Carolina cluth and brake in Hickory, everything for ~ $100 bucks, inccluding getting the flywheel resurfaced. Used their stuff for years with no issues.

Wow its been a while.....

Jeep is still a work in progress. Currently the front shaft is broke in the D30, but a buddy donated me a replacement, so now its just a matter of swapping it in.

The rear suspension is a major issue right now, I have snapped two sets of U Bolts on the pinion yoke due to over rotation of the housing which is due to a worn out suspension in the rear (Broke a lower on one trip, and bolt in the upper on another). I REALLY need to address this asap, right now its just a matter of time and money....but when is it not. I have a plan and I am gathering what I can to get it trail worthy before spring.

More to come soon....

Ok its finally time to tie up some loose ends. I have set some money aside to take care of a few projects. My goal is a good solid "family" rig that is going to hold together under moderate wheeling, and have the ability to run a few trails at the Flats. Here is a list of what I need to get done before spring to get the Jeep back out on the trail. I will list them is order in which I will be completing them.

1. Replace the Broken Front D30 Shaft - Already have the parts - Starting on 3/3/12
  2. Replace Factory D30 Brackets with Mud Pro Brackets - Order placed with Mud - Starting on 3/3/12
  3. Clean Up and Brace up the perches and Truss on the D30 - Starting on 3/3/12
  4. Mud Pro Rear 8.8 Truss - Mud is working out the details
  5. Get with Mud Pro on 8.8 Brackets and Frame Brackets for Rear 4 link, going to do a triangled uppers and straight lowers
  6. Build Upper and Lower Rear Links - Email in to RIDES to discuss and purchase parts - Going to run Heims 7/8 on the uppers, and 1 1/4 on the lowers. 1 3/4'' .250 DOM Uppers and 2'' .250 DOM Lowers
  7. Outboard the rear shocks using Ford shock towers
  8. Design and Build new main skid plate
There is the list, I plan to start all this next weekend as long as Mud is able to get the brackets for the front completed this week. Please feel free to post suggestions, I am open to hear opinions.

Good set of plans man

Back