1st Gen CTD 4 door Project w/ Pics

Here is the gooseneck hitch that I am gonna use to make one for my bed
these pics so it open, closed, etc

I have used the same hitch for years in my truck.

It is an OK hitch, but be mindful if getting crap down in the hole for the flip up ball. When I am hauling gravel or mulch I have to remember to clean out the hitch. I have not found a good way to keep junk out of there...

It is also very difficult to pop the ball up due to the design. You get about .5 inches before the flap tries to pull up the ball, and leverage is not your friend there. I try and bring a small pry bar to pop the ball, and if I forget the bar, I hook a ratchet strap hook under the flap to get a better pull on it.

I chopped out the floor a good bit in my bed and added some heavy duty shackles. I got shackles that just fit back into the hitch. The small bump over the top of the hitch is no higher than the ridges in the bed, and the shackles make hooking up a trailer 10x easier. Hooking a hook into the small holes for the chains on the hich is all but impossible.

Besides that, 4 years and 15,000+ heavy towing miles have not hurt the hitch at all.

Hey Ken,
This is Nathan we met at "thecarman"s B-Day bash, I drove the F350. Looks like your project is coming along good. I'm interested to see how the 4dr handles. Good Luck, hope to see pictures once its on the road.

Well I wanted to see how the paint color that I choose for the truck would look so I painted the bed today..

it is lighter then I thought it would be.. but good enough for me :)

100_3559.jpg

100_3561.jpg

Wow that looks great.
I think you will like that color even though it is lighter that you expected.

Once you get the lights back in the rest of the truck painted it will really set it off.

Good job Ken. Now you're making me want to toss the '03 and go with a 1 gen crew. It's going to be a sweet ride.

Well got the exhaust on..

I bought a muffler from a fellow DTR member..

M110189

it has a 4" inlet and outlet so I had to modify that to work with my 3" exhaust.. down the road I will get all 4" pipe, but I just need to get this truck running and I wanted it to be a lot qiuet then it used to be..

here is pick of where exhaust exits
100_3576.jpg

showing muffler from the rear
100_3577.jpg

you can kinda see how big this muffler it is
100_3578.jpg

this pic shows how I had to modify the 4" into 3"
100_3580.jpg

get the yoke swapped?

well the socket fits but I could not get it to break free.

hopefully the PB blaster worked that I sprayed last night

Well Since we may have a hurricane heading our way I decided I better paint the back of truck so I can get bed back on..

100_3588.jpg

100_3589.jpg

Well got the yoke off.

Used a BIG pipe wrench to hold yoke and a cheater bar to break nut free.

So I got driveshafts in, got 4x4 shifter in, and got bed on truck..

100_3593.jpg

100_3594.jpg

Well took the title down to DMV on Friday and got plates for the truck..

then I finished up all the little things friday night..
I filled all the fluids, botled on 4x4 shifter, botled on regular shifter, etc..

Saturday took it to inspection station and it passed :)
Actually all the guys there were just staring at it and talking it up with me..

So truck drove great... no big issues, I do have one vibration that I need to find...but everthing else works great..

The only other thing I need to make is a tranny cover plate

So here are some pics..
100_3722.jpg

100_3723.jpg

I also put the bucket seats in if from my '92
100_3725.jpg

and here is part of that bling.. I have a freinds parents make a all Aluminum Skull shifter for me, and a aluminum shifter :)
100_3728.jpg

The roll of Duct tape is missing !! :eek:

you gonna swap columns for the manual column in the old truck? Ya know, to get rid of that useless A/T appendage.

Back