1st Gen CTD 4 door Project w/ Pics

All that gear and still only 15,400 is great! what was the drive/ steer/ trailer weights if you have it.

I was 12,900 this weekend towing my stripped out XJ on a tow dolly with pretty much no gear in the bed on the 97 ex cab LB cummins. so with the trailer and the pop-up in the equation, that truck itself must be significantly lighter.

All that gear and still only 15,400 is great! what was the drive/ steer/ trailer weights if you have it.
I was 12,900 this weekend towing my stripped out XJ on a tow dolly with pretty much no gear in the bed on the 97 ex cab LB cummins. so with the trailer and the pop-up in the equation, that truck itself must be significantly lighter.

If I remember correctly it was

3840 on front axle
4840 on rear axle and
6720 for trailer weight

I can check when i get home.. but I am pretty sure that is correct..

To be honest I have no idea how I got it this low.. from last time I towed to PA.. last time I was 16,900 with my STD cab CTD and same camper , trailer, jeep setup..

only thing we can come up with is I had 20 gallons on water on board last trip(which I did not this time), I hauled up a set of 4 tires on beadlocks on trailer last time( not this time).. everything esle was the same of course different trucks

oh and for those that have not been to Rausch creek this is the best rock garden I have ever seen :)

Attachments

• rausch_XJ.jpg
    rausch_XJ.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,160
Well I know a lot of folks will hate me for doing this next mod.. but for me Good mirrors and visibilty when towing is worth it.

so yes I welded on my new style dodge mirrors.

Here is my old 1st Gen with the mirrors on it.. you can see they tilt up some..
000_0509.jpg

so this time I took more time and made a new mount so they sit level, plus we braced then with some bends in steel so they woul dnot shack when driving down highway.. and so far at 70mph no shaking :)

ok on to the pics:

they are only primer for now but will be painted to match rest of truck once i paint the rest of truck..

Passenger side
DSCN5172.JPG

DSCN5176.JPG

Drivers Side
DSCN5174.JPG

DSCN5175.JPG

Well I was lucky enough to WIN a DIY bedliner kit on Pirate4x4..

the giveway was from Second Skin: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/diy-bedliner.php

so today I sand blasted my bed, since it had some thick paint already on it, then I sanded it and then cleaned it.. WOW that was a lot of work..

then I taped off the truck and got to work..

the bad news is I lost all the pics during the prep process.. CRAP

So I went back out and took new pics of the finished truck..
this is up close shot
100_4521.jpg

another up close to show texture
100_4522.jpg

100_4520.jpg

100_4519.jpg

100_4516.jpg

as for a review.. this stuff is AWESOME..

it was very easy to work with, went on very easy.. If I get another truck I would buy this and do it again.. well worth it..

Looks great!!

I wish you would paint this so I could be MORE jealous! :)

very soon, very soon..

I have just been waiting for weather to warm up :)

Well I am slowly getting the little things done..
Need to have it all done by Oct 4th weekend for its 1st wheeling trip :)
Here are some more pics of the painting I did today..
So far I have entire bed, tailgate, back of cab, and now roof painted..
100_3755.jpg

100_3758.jpg

100_3757.jpg

100_3761.jpg

holy :poop: that chopped top vw is freakin AWESOME....my dads into the whole vw thing otherwise i prolly wouldnt have noticed it

holy :poop: that chopped top vw is freakin AWESOME....my dads into the whole vw thing otherwise i prolly wouldnt have noticed it

thanks that is one of my other toys..

would love to see some pics of it to show my dad, he'll flip and itll make him feel good that hes not the only bugguy that has a couple 4x4's too.....and WAAAAAAAAAY too many vw's haha...interested in buyin any more??

I am sure you prob talked about this some, but how big of a project was it to move everything over?

In the "first gen" Cummins stuff is there computers you have to worry about or..any of that jazz?

I saw some NEW cummins 5.9s on ebay for about $6k, would love to someday have something like Ken's ride/this.

(My body pref would be 67-72 double cab Chevy!)

Was telling pop about it... certainly ends up being cheaper than $50k of a new rig! But a new engine/tranny etc slung under a restored vehicle you are prob talking under $20k budget, maybe less? Even if you spent more / nice to have something unique!

The real reason for my bump was to *cough* mention it is getting warmer / needs a good paint job! :)

I am sure you prob talked about this some, but how big of a project was it to move everything over?
In the "first gen" Cummins stuff is there computers you have to worry about or..any of that jazz?
I saw some NEW cummins 5.9s on ebay for about $6k, would love to someday have something like Ken's ride/this.
Was telling pop about it... certainly ends up being cheaper than $50k of a new rig! But a new engine/tranny etc slung under a restored vehicle you are prob talking under $20k budget, maybe less? Even if you spent more / nice to have something unique!
The real reason for my bump was to *cough* mention it is getting warmer / needs a good paint job! :)
Second gen 12V Cummins Dodges don't even have computers....ECU starts in 1998.5 with the 24V

If I could get a wrecked 91-93 cummins doner, which usually ebay for 2-4, I could be in a CTD crew cab for under 12k. If I ever land a better paying job Ill be on the look out for a ctd to swap into my crew.

Duane

no computers to worry about.

I did not even use the diesel wiring under the hood. I just wired everything myself.. truck only needs 3 wires to run (like it is supposed to)
1 for alt, 1 for starter/ignition, 1 for KSB(helps truck start when cold)..

I wired all those and then also wired my grid heater up to a button that I just hold in for about 20secs on real cold days.

my KSB is wired to a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off when I want.

in all reality if I had finished my shop beofre i did the conversion I bet I could have got it done in 2 months or less.

took me 4 months on gravel under carport.

as for swapping things, engine fits perfectly, had to modify tranny mount and had to have driveshafts made..

I think I have a total $ somwhere.. I will try to find it and post it.. it was not that bad.

as for paint.. yes I want to do it but I have a ton of things to get done next few weeks so it has to wait a little.

but I did put 500 miles on the truck this AM.. ran about 65 entire day averaged 18.5mpg :)

Back