1st Gen CTD 4 door Project w/ Pics

Well Today was a GREAT day and a Bad day..

I was supposed to go wheeling at the VT Memorial ride in VA but due to family and other things I was not able to make this trip :(

So I contacted some buddies and we got to work on the Dodge.. which made it a great day..

We got engine, tranny and transfer case in and all mounted up :)

we almost got the driveshafts in but the u-joints need to be replaced..

lots of pics..

100_3179.jpg

100_3180.jpg

100_3181.jpg

I got front clip off, the old exhaust out, old fuel lines out, and a bunch of other small things out prepping for the drivetrain

100_3182.jpg

100_3183.jpg

100_3184.jpg

Well I went out this morning and got a few more pics..

Here is the bottom on engine
100_3203.jpg

Here is back of engine with tranny attached
100_3199.jpg

Transmission crossbrace in place
100_3198.jpg

and 205 Transfer case mounted also
100_3197.jpg

I also decided to cut an access hole in floor board that I will be making an access plate that can come off if i need to work on top of tranny.. I am not sure why Dodge never did this.. I know a lot of chevy trucks had access panels..

I also plan on putting carpet on the floor, which will help clean the inside up a bunch
100_3200.jpg

100_3201.jpg

here are the last to pics for now..

First shows the engine in with no engine hoist supporting it anymore
100_3202.jpg

Here shows how close the back valve cover is to the firewall
100_3206.jpg

looks awesome, and coming together quickly....

the oil pan looks close to the front axle in that one pic... im assuming that you havent put the front diesel springs in the 4 dr yet? also was the tranny crossmember the same, or did you transfer over the diesel's?

looks awesome, and coming together quickly....
the oil pan looks close to the front axle in that one pic... im assuming that you havent put the front diesel springs in the 4 dr yet? also was the tranny crossmember the same, or did you transfer over the diesel's?

thanks..

yes the oil pan is close.. I have found where a few guys have run the gas leaf springs but they had to cut a little webbing off the front axle where it may touch at full compression..

but the other idea i have is to run air bags on all 4 corners :)
i have the bags, compressor etc.. and they few guys that I have found that did that, love the ride..

so that is in the back of my mind.. but the 1st goal is to get truck running then i can swap springs if i need to..

As for the cross member: I used the gas cross member. the diesel one and the gas one are slightly different.. and it is VERY VERY hard to get the top part of crossmember off and then you have to drill out for some new holes on top siode of frame which is almost impossible from the bottom.. all the other conversions i have seen they took the cab off and did it from the top down. well i did not want to do that..

So JPH0913 and myself cut out some 3/8 plate to make a new tranny mount that botls to gas crossmember.. and after comparing the diesel to gas one it is just as strong with new plate or even stronger so I am not worried about it.. I also replaced the tranny mount bushings with new ones.. the old diesels ones were NASTY.

Well we got the exhaust in back to the 2nd crossmember and the front driveshaft is also in.. I would have had the rear in but the driveshaft shop gave me the incorrect u-joint.. so I am going back to them tomorrow morning.

now I need to find a nice quiet muffler to put on truck.

100_3249.jpg

100_3253.jpg

Ken,
Magnaflow came out with a real nice Drone buster 4 inch. I've not tried one, but from what i hear there the quietest flow through on the market !

then Yager offered to help me get the beds off both trucks so I could easily get to fuel tanks and other items..

and Man that worked out AWESOME.. so thank you very much for the redneck crane :)

here are some pics of us lifting the beds.
100_3254.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3256.jpg

100_3257.jpg

after that was done JOhn and Yager took off the reciever hitch for me..

so I can put it onto the new truck.

and then the fun started on the fuel tanks

100_3280.jpg

Back