1st Gen CTD 4 door Project w/ Pics

what we found out was that yes I screwed up and I broke the fuel return line.. oops

so we took the sending unit apart and we drill out the extra line, and sealed off the original return line and yippee it is all fixed.. ( I did not get any pics of that work being done)

then we modified the fuel tank holding bracket and got the tank mounted..at the same time we also ran the fuel lines and return lines up to front and connect them up..

only thing left to do is one more modification to fuel tank strap.. I need to extend the back strap on the tank to make it work correct.

100_3273.jpg

100_3266.jpg

then of course while i was bent down trying to help John I hit my head on the bed bracket and guess what I saw the rear cab mount was broken.. (oh CRAP)..

so we took out the bolt and made a new metal plate and then welded it all up and bolted it back together :)

100_3263.jpg

100_3264.jpg

100_3267.jpg

I also swapped out the steering I made for my '92 so I would have good steering on the '85

100_3271.jpg

and here is a pic of the return line we made using flexable fuel line

100_3272.jpg

yall have been working hard, I can't wait to see it done. That crane looks like something my dad would make. Not pretty but very effective.

Update.. I dropped of starter at my buddies starter shop to have him rebuild it/clean it up.. figured why not while it is out of truck..

we got fuel tank mounted up last night..

as for the driveshaft issue.. I found out that i need another yoke.. so i made some call s and a buddy of mine has an extra 2 piece shaft I am gonna get.. so once i get that I will start making new shafts..

hope to have those done by next weekend

pretty cool swap for sure. if yall need an extra hand some time after the 15 of august, shoot me a pm, as ill have moved back to raleigh. id love to help out and meet some fellow nc4x4er's. i cant say i know much about what is going on regarding this particular swap, just enough to be dangerous, but i learn quick and am a damn good gofer. lol

well, wife took camera with her on trip so NO pics

but I got valve covers painted, intercooler tubes painted, entire front clip including radiator, intercooler, a/c grill , etc all on..

if all goes well I hope to finish up the engine bay this weekend..

I built a rear 2 piece driveshaft out of 5 shafts that I had..

The gist is the driveshaft has 1410 u-joint on the transfer case side, 1350 joint in the middle and 1350 int he rear on axle side.

I still need to sand them smooth the paint them, and get it balanced.

100_3497.jpg

100_3496.jpg

Here is some good stuff.

I got the entire engine back together, I replaced all hoses with new ones ( radiator, heater hoses, etc )

I also painted the valve covers, intercooler hoses, and air intake hose..
this is the color the truck will eventually get painted.. it is called Gun Metal Metallic Blue

100_3489.jpg

100_3488.jpg

100_3492.jpg

nice work there bruiser. I love that body style and btw, if there is anyone out there that has one of these trucks for sale, 2 or 4wd, i am looking one to tinker with and experiment on as i am an upcoming diesel mechanic and i LOVE these trucks. Would LOVE to have 4wd, 5spd regular cab, but ill take anything. pm me some prices please!!!

Well I got starter in and wired up tonight, got inner fenders bolted up, got front bumper on, and all light in front wired and connected

coming along well... it looks like you kept the booster and MC from the blue truck... I figured youd need hydroboost for the diesel, but looking back at the older pics of your other truck, it didnt look to be either....

you plannin to keep the bench, or switching this one to buckets too?

coming along well... it looks like you kept the booster and MC from the blue truck... I figured youd need hydroboost for the diesel, but looking back at the older pics of your other truck, it didnt look to be either....
you plannin to keep the bench, or switching this one to buckets too?

yup the brake boosters are the exact same..

I did replace the one in the '92 truck, so i will be keeping that as a spare..but my goal right now is to get this thing driving then I can make more changes as needed if the truck needs it..

I am going to be putting my bench from '92 truck in this one..
( I have a bad back and bench seats do not like my back )

But I do plan to keep the bench seat for now so when shop gets done I can make a seating area for the shop with it :)

looking good. I thought it looked dumb with a black grill (see post #112), but I guess you just suck at photography :lol:

hahhahaha

Well I got some more done today...

I should have taken better pics of how I got the clutch master installed and working, but I was greasy and working hard so no pics..

the gist: I took the braket off my '92 that the master was bolted to, and had to cut it down some and then I had to weld the bracket under the dash of the '85.. it worked out great.. and there is NO new pressure on the firewalll so I do not have to worry about the pressure cracking the firewall like I have seen on other conversions..

100_3550.jpg

100_3548.jpg

Here is a test piece that will be going in the truck..the final one is still being made..

it is an all aluminum shifter

100_3554.jpg

Back