01 Mounty on Tons!

My new springs did the job perfectly!! Wow! 0 preload and I have my 6.5" shaft showing
View attachment 355279View attachment 355280
Those were with 250 lb springs? Coming right along.
Also, that’s not really 1000 pounds of force on that strap, unless you’re wheeling gently. You droop that axle out by hopping up the front end, or stuffing one side hard hanging the other, or a dozen other scenarios, you’re talking about a dynamic load of 1000 lbs of mass… makes for much more than 1000 lbs of force. Not to make you feel you have to do extra work, but @Croatan_Kid has a damn good point.

Those were with 250 lb springs? Coming right along.
Also, that’s not really 1000 pounds of force on that strap, unless you’re wheeling gently. You droop that axle out by hopping up the front end, or stuffing one side hard hanging the other, or a dozen other scenarios, you’re talking about a dynamic load of 1000 lbs of mass… makes for much more than 1000 lbs of force. Not to make you feel you have to do extra work, but @Croatan_Kid has a damn good point.
ok not arguing just learning, so I figured there was more to it than what I was assuming.
So do I need to do it or let it be...I really need to focus on getting the rear straps, bump stops and shifter done tomorrow...killing me how long this stuff takes doing things right LOL. I got customers be like "you ain't done yet" HAHAHA

IT's def worth doing things right the first time, not gonna lie. I'm SOOO exited to wheel this thing "KNOWING" my driveshaft has no bind, bump stops in place, limit straps in place, shocks are good with spring rates, new u-joints, man o man gonna be nice wheeling with a piece of mind that I've never really had before knowing those won't break over some dumb crap...if I break it's gonna be actually doing something worth breaking on not just making "a turn". (At the Gulches with my last rig, I broke my intermediate driveshaft just making a really tight turn off camber cause it wasn't beefed up enough, oh that was redonculous) lol stupid

@marty79 double shear tabs are to limit straps what quotation marks are to one of your posts.
alright I get it. what about on the axle side where I have it bolted throught the LCA bolt? is that fine with just the one single bracket that it comes with? (or is that a stupid question)

what quotation marks are to one of your posts.
wait a minute.....maybe I don't get it. My quotation marks are "repetitive?!?!" ...used a lot?? sooo...what you trying to say, I'm lost...

man yall gots to talk in dummy terms with some of these comments since my "comprehension" sucks...funny but not funny, it's true. I'm slow if you haven't noticed with "english jargon"

Putting it in double sheer is obviously stronger, but being supported on both sides of the strap mount will keep it from wanting to wallow out the hole, let it get slack in the mount, and make it more prone to breakage. Especially if that's a fully threaded bolt with no shoulder on it.

Quick and easy fix. Make another mount tab to lay over the existing one and tack a spacer between the two that's roughly the same thickness as the strap mount. Simple, yet effective.

It may not be 100% absolutely necessary, but it's not something you'd want to break when it's in a bind and you're depending on it.

You've got the lower tab of the strap on a lower link bolt? Ehh...it's not going to break, but it's not what I'd do. I'd go frame to axle tube if possible and let it have its own, dedicated hardware.

This is what I'm getting at. A tab on each side of the strap mount.
ac750730ds-562_2.jpg

Putting it in double sheer is obviously stronger, but being supported on both sides of the strap mount will keep it from wanting to wallow out the hole, let it get slack in the mount, and make it more prone to breakage. Especially if that's a fully threaded bolt with no shoulder on it.

Quick and easy fix. Make another mount tab to lay over the existing one and tack a spacer between the two that's roughly the same thickness as the strap mount. Simple, yet effective.

It may not be 100% absolutely necessary, but it's not something you'd want to break when it's in a bind and you're depending on it.
well like everything else, I'm gonna go ahead and do it while I'm at it. Once this thing is done and out of the shop, it's only coming back in in the future for the "cool" upgrades lol...stereo, lights, paint, gizmoz and gatgets haha

If you're jumping it, yes. Normal wheeling you'll be fine
heck no it's not jumped...you do make me wonder though if with coilovers could it see a little "faster" speeds over bumps and not be as horrible as every other rig of mine was lol. gosh I can't wait to see how this rides with the better springs and just coilovers period.

heck no it's not jumped...you do make me wonder though if with coilovers could it see a little "faster" speeds over bumps and not be as horrible as every other rig of mine was lol. gosh I can't wait to see how this rides with the better springs and just coilovers period.

With properly tuned coilovers and bump stops, yes. You can go a lot faster than you ever imagined before. You’ll laugh about coil and shock, and hold your pinky up as you pass leaf springs. After having all of the afore mentioned and going to a good linked setup, I will NEVER go back.

As for jumping, don’t be so quick to rule it out. @Joe J. took me for a ride in his and we jumped it. Big jump, probably could have jumped over a kitchen table long ways. I braced for impact thinking “this is gonna suck” but it just soaked it up and kept going. Jumping a full size vehicle instantly became something I loved!

I can’t jump mine, but I can go thru the trail with some pretty good speed and it’s very fun. It makes long stretches between obstacles a lot funner.

but I can go thru the trail with some pretty good speed and it’s very fun. It makes long stretches between obstacles a lot funner.
This I've never been able to do so looking forward to that lol

With properly tuned coilovers and bump stops, yes. You can go a lot faster than you ever imagined before. You’ll laugh about coil and shock, and hold your pinky up as you pass leaf springs. After having all of the afore mentioned and going to a good linked setup, I will NEVER go back.

As for jumping, don’t be so quick to rule it out. @Joe J. took me for a ride in his and we jumped it. Big jump, probably could have jumped over a kitchen table long ways. I braced for impact thinking “this is gonna suck” but it just soaked it up and kept going. Jumping a full size vehicle instantly became something I loved!

I can’t jump mine, but I can go thru the trail with some pretty good speed and it’s very fun. It makes long stretches between obstacles a lot funner.
Jumping on leaf springs can feel the same way… @Will miller
1629394338608.jpeg

Last edited:
got rear driveshaft done and installed today, rear limit straps done and bump stops.
Tomorrow will button it all up including verifying rear diff gears I guess (pulling the cover back off)

?? I had it spinning in 4wd with al 4 off the ground, no tires mounted, and transfer case sounded normal. IF the gear ratio was 3.55 front 3.73 rear, would everything spin freely in the air with no funky noises or clanking from the T-Case? (I guess I'm in high hopes that I don't have to pull the fluid and cover back off the rear lol)

Without the front and rear axles being connected to each other by the ground gear ratio is meaningless. When the rear axle is trying to go 10mph and the front is trying to go 13 mph is when youll have binding
that kinda makes sense but at the same time isn't the driveshafts transferring that different power anyway threfor the t-case "chain" would show it by doing something funny. I get the tires being on the ground but how is that any different than it being in the air...

now that I'm thinking about it, i guess your right, the chain doesn't know it in the transfer case until tires start rotating....hmm
how noticeable will it be on say just pulling it out of the shop in 4wd (pavement)? like oh dam stop immediately or barely notice anything...or don't even try it stupid lol

now that I'm thinking about it, i guess your right, the chain doesn't know it in the transfer case until tires start rotating....hmm
how noticeable will it be on say just pulling it out of the shop in 4wd (pavement)? like oh dam stop immediately or barely notice anything...or don't even try it stupid lol
id pull the front driveshaft if youre gonna move it on pavement

threfor the t-case "chain" would show it by doing something funny.

Oh...it would. It'd be a great way to find the weakest link in your drivetrain.

I think that's a good example of unnecessary quotations as well!

Back