01 Mounty on Tons!

oh and with front case 2.69.1 and rear case 2.72.1 what is my "double low" ratio just in the transfer cases? (don't care for final drive ratio)
5.41.1 right? I don't want to sound stupid when saying what gear ratio I have lol
I will say whatever the "double low" is, it felt awesome but not so low that I'm gonna hate it. In 3 and D, it seemed like it will still have a little balls to it so we'll see.
With only having FWD, in regular 4Lo, boy it's def not weak by no means. I guess that 5.0 is doing pretty good!

so that means you multiply not add...weird
Yes you multiply
No it isn’t weird.
Think about it case 1 turns 2.68 times per trans revolution and tease 2 turns 2.72 times per tcase 1 revolution .
It’s called a torque MULTIPLIER for a reason

Of course you mulitply...

It's a ratio of X to 1. If it takes 3 turns of the input to get 1 turn of the output and then it goes through a low range of 3:1 in a transfer case...it'll take 9 turns of the input to make the transfer case output turn once. Not 6. Every rotation of the input would be reduced by ⅓ to the output.

Once you get some 5.13s in it, your final crawl ratio will be around 106.5:1

Also what he said.

Once you get some 5.13s in it,
not sure I will, we will see. so far in regular Low range, it felt pretty darn peppy so I don't think I will need nor "want" more guts than what I felt when I hammered down.
Going from jeep 4.0 to this 5.0 is a big difference I can tell already and as long as it will turn tires in regular 4lo good enough to make it up the wetter stuff, I'm happy. Otherwise, the way it feels currently I'll be wheeling in that "double low" every chance I get, especially having 4 gears instead of 3 to choose from.
I've got lots of other things to spend money on than gears still...(like new springs now for the front) among other things.
Limiting strap just shipped out today, yeii

You've gotta regear the front anyway. Might as well put gears in it that will be worth a damn to use in anything other than low range so you don't smoke that automatic transmission. Heat is their number one killer.

You've gotta regear the front anyway. Might as well put gears in it that will be worth a damn to use in anything other than low range so you don't smoke that automatic transmission. Heat is their number one killer.
Its always gonna be in low range lol, forget the streetable for now. Driveshafts and welded gears not gonna work for pavement so will do that later maybe, till then it's my trailer rig so low range only.
The guy swears axles came from same truck so gonna pull rear cover to confirm but I don't think he remembers right lol

so anyone wanna help me figure out my front springs..
current springs are 18" 200lb 2.5 lower, 14" 175lb 2.5 upper
front currently has 1.5" preload and I'm sitting at my desired perfect ride height with 6" uptravel, 10" down
Problem: Upper springs are pretty much completely collapsed as it sits. (maybe 1/8" space in between the coils)
The skids and bumper and winch added A LOT more weight than expected but it is what it is...
Any advise thank you very much.
Your effective spring rate with that combination is 93 lb./in. So that explains why they are way too soft.

You might want to figure out what you need before just grabbing springs and throwing them in. If you don't understand what running springs in series does to their rates, you might want to research more.

Your effective spring rate with that combination is 93 lb./in. So that explains why they are way too soft.

You might want to figure out what you need before just grabbing springs and throwing them in. If you don't understand what running springs in series does to their rates, you might want to research more.
i just realized I gave wrong information on front.
front lower is 18" 300lb, upper is 14" 175lb (was getting mixed up with rear)

i just realized I gave wrong information on front.
front lower is 18" 300lb, upper is 14" 175lb (was getting mixed up with rear)
That's 110.5 lb. in. Better, but still soft. I honestly think you'd be better off with 250 lb. upper springs. That puts your total effective rate at 136 lb./in. And you won't be compressing the uppers quite so much. You don't want them compressed any more than 50% at ride height.

I don't know how much the front end of that pig weighs, but it's obviously heavy. I'm betting 300+ on the bumper, then 100 or so on the winch. The engine might be in the neighborhood of 7-800 lbs, and of course you've got all that sheet metal, glass, and frame. Figure in a fraction of the weight being shared for the trans and transfer cases....You've got some weight on the front. 250/300 spring combination might still not be enough, but it'll get you closer IMHO.

I honestly think you'd be better off with 250 lb. upper springs
That's what I'm thinking. Dave's off road supply will confirm that before I order from him since that's where I bought them and will have to do the exchange. Thanks

don't know how much the front end of that pig weighs, but it's obviously heavy.
Yes it is lol. Skids added a lot too but I guess that's more evenly placed

Also just looked closer at your pictures - They're not vertical. That plays into the rate as well. The more they are tilted away from vertical, the more spring you need to overcome the angle. Beyond getting into the math involved, there are charts on the interwebs for correction factors by degrees off of vertical for mounting coilovers on an angle.

EDIT: But considering they're not FAR off of vertical, it's likely negligible. Probably not enough to be concerned with. I'd still say 250 uppers would help.

Its always gonna be in low range lol, forget the streetable for now. Driveshafts and welded gears not gonna work for pavement so will do that later maybe, till then it's my trailer rig so low range only.
The guy swears axles came from same truck so gonna pull rear cover to confirm but I don't think he remembers right lol
I have some gears and a stock carrier out of my 05 Dana 60. If you confirm what you need to match, I’ll give you the carrier/gears.

I have some gears and a stock carrier out of my 05 Dana 60. If you confirm what you need to match, I’ll give you the carrier/gears.
Sweet. I will Sunday hopefully I gotta get back to making money now lol

It's really hard to focus on work now that my rig is in the main shop behind customer work..man what a teaser but at same time how awesome to see it this far along..of course I got so busy forgot to call Dave's Off road supply dang it

Some pretty bad ass looking limit straps. Slow on delivery but dang they look and feel awesome.

20210816_161244.jpg
20210816_161249.jpg

Attachments

• 20210816_161244.jpg
    20210816_161244.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 82
Got my new springs today, thanks a bunch to @BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC. And my straps are in, time to finish this rig in next couple days

am I correct to assume when mounting these kinda straps, mount the strap taunt but with 1/2" of shock shaft still showing? thanks

Back