01 Mounty on Tons!

got rear driveshaft done and installed today, rear limit straps done and bump stops.
Tomorrow will button it all up including verifying rear diff gears I guess (pulling the cover back off)

?? I had it spinning in 4wd with al 4 off the ground, no tires mounted, and transfer case sounded normal. IF the gear ratio was 3.55 front 3.73 rear, would everything spin freely in the air with no funky noises or clanking from the T-Case? (I guess I'm in high hopes that I don't have to pull the fluid and cover back off the rear lol)
drain the fluid into a clean container and re-use it if you pull the covers.
mark teeth and verify rotations if the gears aren’t labeled.
or rotate your tires 1 full rotation on the jack stands and count pinion rotations. You already know all this. Just verify the gears buddy!
and I forgot to go into my shop yesterday to verify what I have. I’ll do it tonight

It's only a 5% difference. They may bark and talk, but it will probably be fine. Think about when you turn in 4wd on pavement and how everything binds and barks. It's like the constant version of that.

I’d pull the drive shaft if you move it period. Even on grass. Of course it doesn’t bind on jack stands. The drive shafts are spinning at the same speed. The reduction difference happens in the diff. And once moving, something is going to have to give.

I’d pull the drive shaft if you move it period. Even on grass. Of course it doesn’t bind on jack stands. The drive shafts are spinning at the same speed. The reduction difference happens in the diff. And once moving, something is going to have to give.
Does the front not have lock outs? I don't remember....

Does the front not have lock outs? I don't remember....
Yeah that's what I realized a bit ago..diff cover is coming off now that everything else is done

Well dam..found on ring gear is 373..then 2594103 the 373 gives it away lol

So you have the same gear ratio after all?
Nope front is 355, the guy I bought them from says he has a bad front axle (bent) so hes checking to see if its 373

Hes got 373 geared bad axle, let me swap for free so I'll do that.

So why is this rear shock not compressing more. Drives amazing!!
20210820_124520.jpg
20210820_123729.jpg
20210820_123819.jpg

I cannot believe how smooth it rides and shocks have 138psi of nitrogen only but WOW, drives soooooo good through bumps and the field behind my house

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say it looks like the links are binding up. Or is the driveshaft bottoming out? Or is there too much spring in the back? Or shocks charged too much? Could be a number of things that my armchair quarterbacking ain’t gonna help.

The proper gearing will make a huge difference. That transmission isn’t going to like those high gears.
Possible Reasons why your coilovers won’t compress
Springs too stiff
Too much oil in the shocks
Link geometry

FOA has absolutely horrible quality control. I’d pull those coilovers apart and inspect them/verify correct oil level

Link geometry is beyond perfect on this rig, that's one thing that's 200%!!
1-Pretty sure rear lower springs are too stiff
2-rides great but i believe shocks need more nitrogen, its smooth but too soft now that I've driven around through some off camber stuff, def too soft a rebound.
I dont know a lot about coilovers but I can tell rebounding is too soft..every little dip or if I just turn too sharp the suspension moves too easily.

The proper gearing will make a huge difference
Bruh it's got plenty of umph like daiuuuuum. I'm not talking 2wd screw that itll never see it. Regular 4lo it's got power, double low is kick straight up ass!

Is the rear swaybar still in place?

Did you charge the shocks with them all the way extended?

I know that's way too soft for this heavy ass pig

What sway bar lol..what the heck
Based on the flex, it looks like it has a rear swaybar and it is still in place and connected. Just making sure. A swaybar doesn't really seem like marty79 style, but I'm not gonna look through 19 pages of thread to confirm either.

A swaybar doesn't really seem like marty79 style, but I'm not gonna look through 19 pages of thread to confirm
Heck no, pretty sure its lower springs. They're 200lb, started with 300, probably need 250lb or 275, and upper are 175lb, should be 150s. Some of it is also just the way that incline is too

Back