Ol' Smokey - The Cursed ECORS Buggy Re-Build (Right this time)

I'm very concerned about my buggy but not because of David but because of myself. I am detailed and am going crazy knowing that someone else is working on my buggy. Previously, every single weld, tube, fab work, etc (with exception of some of the wiring) was 100% me. I have finally realized (Bri was like 99% of the deciding factor :D ) that if I am to ever use the buggy again, I need help with it. This is a very tall task for me because I am very peculiar when it comes to my buggy. So peculiar that any parts that I bought that were already welded had all the welds ground out and I rewelded everything. Odd I know.

My only internal compromise was that I would be really involved in all the details and make multiple visits to hash out any details continuously.

So far most everything has worked out well. The couple of things that weren't exactly as I expected are minor and I attribute them to me not being there more and expressing what I want in more detail.

I hate it about all the problems other folks are having, but i gotta say that Rob's buggy is looking killer

^^^thanks. Seeing it in person, I think it looks better than the pics. I've been pretty heavily involved from the beginning. The detail work is what remains like mounting the shocks, seats, fuel cell, etc. the tubing underwent a few changes but I think it will work for what I need. Given that I don't have the time to do it all myself anymore, I can't complain too much.

It's not exactly as planned but not gone bad. Some things change with my type of rebuild trying to stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bucket.

Light bar installed.

LS1, th350, and Atlas in and laying out for supports.

Back seat in position. Sits just 1.5" above upper links at full bump.

Also mounted rear ORI, fuel cell, etc.

Making progress. Lots of work to do to be ready by mid April.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Roof line is a little different. Kinda looks like it's squatting in the rear but is sitting level.

The side shot is at full bump. Kinda hard to tell without tires and the left rear is about 3" off the ground on jack stands.

Thinking the top of cage at ride height will be about 6'-7" at the highest point.

Made some good progress with the sheetmetal from how it was before as well.

probably nothing to worry about as I doubt it will get slammed while someone is in the backseat....

but are you are all concerned with only 1.5" under the seat and the top of the link brackets? Will there be a floor under it?

Would suck BIG time to take a link mount to the ass on a hard hit in the rear.... I have heard lots of 2" mins and seen as much as 4" recommended under a suspension seat for it to work properly?

Granted lots of buggies are built without that (mine included; which i dont see as a huge problem, but you cant take an axle to the ass in the driverseat either?)

Something worth thinking about maybe?

Looks good though, glad to see progress.

There are several tubes under there and 1/8" aluminum floor as well.

The 1.5" is under the back part of the seat and it iseabed back a bit. The front of the seat is about 6" if not more from the links.

My biggest concern was a link coming up through the floor. So, we added several tubes to prevent just that as well as the sheet metal. My biggest concern with my girls riding back there was safety, so we are working hard to make it as safe as possible.

Nah. The truss and links are behind the back of the seat by about 10". The only real way a link could maybe make its way up into the seat is if it broke in the middle of the tubing and even if it did, there are several tubes to keep it out of the seat and 1/8" aluminum. This was one of my biggest concerns, so we planned the tubing, seat location, and sheet metal accordingly.

If you look close at the last picture I posted above, you can see a 2x4 on the rear links... That is about the location of the back of the seat as we were using that as a spacer. You can also see the joints of the rear links back behind the 2x4. We should be good. :)

Buggy made its way home Sunday so I could finish everything off and hopefully have it done by end of April. Disney and skiing trips between then and now so time and budget may be shot. We shall see what I can get done after work and during the weekends.

It's covered in ice even after spending 2 hours knocking it off. It got caught up in the storm before I could get it out away. :(

image.jpg

Please tell me that you can easily unwrap the birds nest of electrical drop cord that I see. If mine did that I would just buy new...

Back