Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build

You know, I never thought a DJ5 could look cool, I stand corrected ..... creativity, always a plus !!!! I was close to having a hard top for my CJ5 prodject, but it fell thrue, love the way it looks .

thanks! i've wanted to build one of these junkers for several years. i had the image in my head and when i ran across this jeep i had to give it a try. hopefully it'll turn out as a success.

i got some good work done last night and today. i got the rear factory springs cleaned up, painted and put under the front axle. I also got the axle under the front and got the spring hangers welded up.

i am going to add a piece of angled 1" DOM tubing to the top of the spring hanger to the bumper. I am also going to add a couple triangulated pieces to the backside of the spring hangers to strengthen the spring hanger mounts.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1775.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1776.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1777.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1779.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1780.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1781.jpg

these are the welds on one of the inside of the frame rail stiffener
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1782.jpg

Hmm that looks familiar.... LOL! I think you've done it even cleaner. Awesome work man.

I saw the yellow TJ you worked on the other day. It turned out nice!

Hmm that looks familiar.... LOL! I think you've done it even cleaner. Awesome work man.
I saw the yellow TJ you worked on the other day. It turned out nice!

Thanks Chris! The reason it looks good is because I mimicked your leaf spring outboard design. Thanks for the compliment!

Mitch's TJ did turn out pretty cool. we thought everyone would think we were nuts for turning a TJ into an SOA leaf spring setup. it's night and day different from the exhaust tube coil spacer booty fab that his jeep had when he bought it.

here's one from the other side. again, i have to add some more bracing to the hangers. i plan on doing that tonight...hopefully.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1778.jpg

This is a really cool project. You will have a jeep that is different from all the others on the trail!

Thanks Brad! It's been a super fun project so far. Your fab parts have worked out great btw!

I got the front spring hanger mounts finished up tonight. Again, I mimicked the outboard spring design that Marsfab did a while back. It's the best looking design I've seen in my opinion. You guys can let me know what you think. I think it should be very strong.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1786.jpg

another.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1785.jpg

i shot some paint on the finished bumper but it got dark on me before i could snap any other pics. i'm on to the shackle hangers this week. i want this thing rolling again this weekend.

You aren't going to put anything running from the edge of the shackle hanger to the bumper?

You aren't going to put anything running from the edge of the shackle hanger to the bumper?

It's welded all the way around + the triangular gussets. The spring hangers are welded with a cross plate. This shouldn't go anywhere. i may add a triangular gusset from the bumper side to the spring hanger but I doubt it's needed.

Looks good your making quick work of this!

Thanks! i'm having a blast building this thing so i'm working on it quite a bit. i am ready to go take it for a drive already.:driver:

I got the bumper grill hoop bent, notched, welded and painted tonight. I try to get one small project done at a time.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1787.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1788.jpg

with paint. painting everything is making the body look REALLY bad. haha.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1790.jpg

another.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1792.jpg

i got some work done today. my brother came over and lended a hand. he cut the back fenders out and i worked on making the outboarded shackle hangers.

these are real tires. this is my 37x12.50x15 irok radial from my yj. i wanted to see the front wheelbase as i was setting up the shackle hangers.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1795.jpg

hahahaha! this obviously isn't ride height. it will sit about 4-6" higher than this probably.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1793.jpg

outboarded shackle hanger i made. the dom sleeve will be welded below with triangle gussets on either side of the dom to add some strength. the base material is 2"x4" square DOM rectangle tubing that is 3/16" thick. i capped the front side and added some wings to the whole assembly for more strength...and i thought it looked cool. :)
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1807.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1804.jpg

cut fenders.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1801.jpg

my brother gettin' after it. i love having the help!
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1802.jpg

looking good chad, you got to come check out the runner, got that rust patched up and a soft top for it, i hate to say it though but i really like this build i guess some jeeps can be cool

looking good chad, you got to come check out the runner, got that rust patched up and a soft top for it, i hate to say it though but i really like this build i guess some jeeps can be cool

i bet the runner looks good. that was a smokin' find for you.

you can like this thing without your yota buddies thinkin' you're crazy...the title is for an AM General. :)

thanks for the compliment! i'm gona finish welding the shackle hangers and get my 37s back on it today. i wana see the actual wheelbase looks like.

I am really digging this build. Great job man.

nice project man, i was thinking about doing something like this awhile back, but the one i found wasnt no where as nice as yours.

thanks for the compliements guys!

i got some more work done today. i finished fabbing up the shackle hangers and got them welded up. i also got put my 37" irok radials on my mail jeep to get an idea of how it would sit front and rear. i am definitely going to get the 2" BDS yj leaf springs for the front. it sits too low up front especially since i'm going to be putting a much heavier motor in this turd.

i really like how the tires looked on it.

shackles ready to be welded on.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1812.jpg

passenger side welded up. well driver side i guess. :)
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1815.jpg

another.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1819.jpg

finished. painted and bolted up sitting on it's own weight.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1824.jpg

passenger side (standard driver side).
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1825.jpg

BAM!
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1830.jpg

this is the wheel/tire combo from my yj. it won't be running these wheels/tires but they'll be a 37-38" tire with a 10" wheel like what's on it in these pics.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1835.jpg

you can see the front approach angle. it's as good as i could get with leafs.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1838.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1839.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1840.jpg

another of the front approach. i'm really happy with this setup. thanks to MarsFab for talking me into going shackle reversal!
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1842.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1843.jpg

o and the frame height is about 24.5". should be about 25.5" with the 2" springs installed. wheelbase ended up being ~96". i was wanting it a little longer but this will have to work for now. when i 4-link the rear down the road i'll stretch the back a little more.

I like this thing, but I fail to see why it needs to be higher. Looks like you have plenty of room for rear uptravel and if you just do tube fenders in the front or trim the ones you have, there's room in the front for 2-4" uptravel. Should be plenty, just bump stop it. Its got a nice stance now , id like to see you keep it there. Remember too, its gonna have some body roll w those springs in so close. Combine that with a torquey new engine and a couple inches more height, could end up tippy, or atleast have a pucker factor. The axle width is helping you a lot, but...

Check your front shackle angle too, those springs are flat or as long as they'll ever be through the suspension cycle. If its not too late, I might would cheat the shackle hangers forward a bit. Especially if you do go to a lift spring.

I like where this thing is headed, just trying to pass along some friendly advise. Ultimately its your rig though. Good luck on finishing it up. Im interested to see how it turns out

Back