Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build

i plan on stretching the front about 10". i'll start on it this week hopefully. the shackles will angle back a little more. i sat in it (~200lb) and it got to about the angle i wanted. it should be just right when i get the fuel cell and body armor on it.

Those welds are lookin good man. I look forward to seeing how this thing turns out.

man coming from your work that is a huge compliment!

alright guys. i need some advise...should i go with the standard shackles in front configuration? or should i go shackle reversal? let me know what you think. what works better on and off road? i've only ever had the shackles in the front.

My welds look like buzzard crap lol.

mine too! seems that once I get the hang of it I run out of projects to weld and then I have to start all over learning to weld again once the next project comes along.

awesome build by the way, hope to see this in person some day.

got a bit more done today. turned the jeep around in my driveway and then got all the old front axle parts torn off.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1757.jpg

the front end lost some weight! :)
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1759.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1760.jpg

another one of the back.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1762.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this end result; it's always been in the back of my mind to build a DJ. Any ideas about what the final rear fender cut will look like?

Looking forward to seeing this end result; it's always been in the back of my mind to build a DJ. Any ideas about what the final rear fender cut will look like?

me too! i can't wait to get it rolling again. i want to see it with some tires on it. i'm planning on cutting the fenders in a half circle that starts where the factor location is and wraps around to where the rear bumper ends. i'll mount the 37s i have on my yj to get the tire location for my cuts. i'll do that in a week or two.

Good deal. I'm sure it was because of frame width limitations, but be sure to mount your shocks as far out as your tires will allow, to counteract the springs being so close together on the axle, and the body roll that comes with it. Conversely, it should TWIST up!

Good deal. I'm sure it was because of frame width limitations, but be sure to mount your shocks as far out as your tires will allow, to counteract the springs being so close together on the axle, and the body roll that comes with it. Conversely, it should TWIST up!

i'm definitely outboarding the rear shocks. i will have plenty of room for shock placement on the rear. i do hope it flexes like mad. :huggy:

i got my details worked out for how much stretch i want in the front. i'll be stretching the front 7-8". what cha think?
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1764.jpg

i got the front suspension mounts cut off and made some flat fenders...kinda.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1765.jpg

i'll cut a little more out of the fenders when i add the DOM to them.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1766.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1767.jpg

i wirebrushed the frame and inner fenderwells in the front and rear and added a little spray bomb to them.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1768.jpg

i'll get some metal to build the front bumper and order a set of spring hangers from barnes 4wd so i can get the front leaf spring hung this week.

i got the base of the front bumper welded up tonight. i also picked up some DOM to bend up a grill hoop this week. i am still going to add some bracing from the sides of the bumper down the frame rails but it's a good start.

i ordered my spring hangers, sperches, plates and poly bushings today from barnes 4wd so i can get the suspension welded up this weekend. i still need to get some 2" bds lift yj springs for the front. i have a pair of the factory rear springs from the mail jeep i could use up front but i don't think it will be enough lift. what do you guys think? they're the same specs as a cj5 rear 2.5" wide factory spring.

on to the pics.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1769.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1770.jpg

up close.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1771.jpg

another. i did grind the bumper endcaps after i snap'd these pics.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1774.jpg

i like it a lot man, always wanted to do something like that
How are you going to handle the doors sliding open with the rear tires sticking out? Swing out door? Gull wings :) or just no doors?

thanks boatedwagon! it's been a super fun project so far.

yager. no doors. i removed the doors, their sliding rails and i will remove the upper sliders that are connected to the roof if it's not too much trouble. i want to make some tube doors for it so i'll have some protection.

i'm working on the front suspension tomorrow night so hopefully i'll have an axle under it this weekend. all my brackets for hanging the front axle came in from barnes 4wd today.

i'm starting to think about the motor and drivetrain. what do you guys think? i am thinking of using a 4.0 with ax15 and np231 if i can find a complete unit with wiring harness. or should i think tbi 350? if so, what trans and transfer case?

chad i know i have been trying to talk you into using yota drivetrain but i think a 4.0 HO would look sweet in here, idk i just think something like this should have a jeep powertrain, but whatever you do this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeet. I want to see it in person.

by the way were going to URE the 26th if you want to bring the YJ out, were going to be out there the whole day

chad i know i have been trying to talk you into using yota drivetrain but i think a 4.0 HO would look sweet in here, idk i just think something like this should have a jeep powertrain, but whatever you do this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeet. I want to see it in person.
by the way were going to URE the 26th if you want to bring the YJ out, were going to be out there the whole day

thanks man! yeah i'm thinking a tbi350, 4.0l or 5.0l 89-93 mustang motor. i'll see what i can find. i figure a 4.0 will be the easiest swap so that is probably what i'll do.

me and my bro might ride out there on the 26th.

i did another photoshop rending of what it's going to look like. i will throw some paint on it of course but you can get the idea. at least i'm using my graphic design degree for something. :) yes, i hijacked marsfab's shop again. the jeep i used to clone with my jeep is the "mild cj5 build" that marsfab built (which is bad ass! btw)

this keeps me motivated...gota love photoshop.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_Jeep_photoshop_6_15.jpg

You know, I never thought a DJ5 could look cool, I stand corrected ..... creativity, always a plus !!!! I was close to having a hard top for my CJ5 prodject, but it fell thrue, love the way it looks .

Bring it down about 4" and you'll be in business.

thanks guys. it's a photoshop image i made. i'm a graphic designer so that's what i do...make pretty pictures. right now the front is sitting under the jeep. i'll update some pics tomorrow or sunday. if i painted it yellow it would look alot like a short bus. haha.

Bring it down about 4" and you'll be in business.

i'm going to run factory dj rear springs up front so it should be lower than the image i made. :) the dj rear was SOA so hopefully they'll hold up for a little while.

Back