Gone Postal : Mail Jeep Build

anyone know the measurements for wagoneer springs? how much are they offset? i'm thinking about running those in the rear if they are close to what i'm looking for.

I know you already have the 9", but toyota axles would be the jam in that thing! Cool build either way :beer:

i'd DEFINITELY thought about 'yota axles. i am still contemplating a 22r motor in it tho (if i can find one complete). :driver:

I know you already have the 9", but toyota axles would be the jam in that thing! Cool build either way :beer:

It's JEEP! In case you haven't heard you don't put Toyota axles under one.(it's like sacrilege to do it, if you want to run Toyota axles by a tin can bolt them under it). For some reason Ford axles are OK I guess because they are at least still American made.:flipoff2:

Any ways done with smack talk. Looks like a unique build should be very cool when done, especially if it matches the rendering in the first post.:beer:

I think you are going to want a little more than a 95" wheelbase with 37" tires unless you keep it really low. I understand your limitations though with the desired look that you are going for.

i got a 1993 grand im parting if you need anything pm me thanks

hey chad, i was def lucky i didn't flip and i really cant believe it didnt...still dont see how a truck as heavy as mine hitting the ground going 65mph didn't flip in the situation and you know that im by far not a jeep person, but seeing something like that on the trail would def be something awesome i would def love to come work on it with you, i would really help if you decide to go yota axles, ppl say what they want but the thing are cheap to build up and if you want to go 22r i have 2 good blocks at the house and know a lot of ppl to where i could find a whole motor/wiring for the cheap side, but either way you go this things seems sweet, let me know if you ever need a hand i'd be glad to stop by and help out..always fun to work on something new

hey chad, i was def lucky i didn't flip and i really cant believe it didnt...still dont see how a truck as heavy as mine hitting the ground going 65mph didn't flip in the situation and you know that im by far not a jeep person, but seeing something like that on the trail would def be something awesome i would def love to come work on it with you, i would really help if you decide to go yota axles, ppl say what they want but the thing are cheap to build up and if you want to go 22r i have 2 good blocks at the house and know a lot of ppl to where i could find a whole motor/wiring for the cheap side, but either way you go this things seems sweet, let me know if you ever need a hand i'd be glad to stop by and help out..always fun to work on something new

yeah i'm glad it didn't roll on ya. crazy stuff!

i'm sure i'll need a hand before it is all over with. when i start mocking everything up i'll give ya a shout. i'm going to go ford axles front and rear. i already have the full width 9" (guy i bought the jeep from worked it in the deal) so i'm on the look out for a hp 44 for a good price for up front. as far as the 22r goes, if you can find someone with a complete motor with wiring and everything let me know. that's a good little motor. if they have a transmission and transfer case too i'd be interested in that also.

btw dont mean to hijack your build here but know anyone selling a D60 cause im done with IFS on the chevy

the chevy ifs transfer case is a driver drop right? steve at tarheel has a driver drop balljoint dana 60. it's a cheaper axle to get ahold of then a kingpin 60. i'll keep a look out for you.

ok guys. so i haven't been slacking. i've been working on a buddy's tj. i'm doing the finishing touches on the suspension, shock mounts, brakes / lines, etc. that being said i haven't gotten much done on my mail jeep. i did pick up some ubolts and plates and some XJ leaf springs from pullapart on saturday. i got them sandblasted, painted and ready to go in. i also got the 9" sanded smooth and painted. pics are below.

my mail jeep, my yj i just finished and my buddy's yellow tj i'm working on.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1632.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1637.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1638.jpg

i built some dual shock mounts for his tj. yes his tj has leafs front & rear. :) it's a long story but it works and it is a super nice setup now.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1639.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1640.jpg

couple more.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1642.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1643.jpg

i made all of the shock tabs. the outer tabs are longer so the shocks can sit at an angle without binding.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1644.jpg

my mail jeep looks TINY next to the tj with 37s. soon it will grow up too. haha.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1646.jpg

so i got busy this weekend. i cut down some daystar shackles i had laying around. i'll be running them up front. i also removed the rear axle, cut off the old suspension frame mounts, and started mocking up the xj leafs for the rear stretch.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1647.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1649.jpg

just goofing off!
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1651.jpg

i also made some dom tube poly bushings for the front & rear shackle hangers.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1650.jpg

i got the rear bumper cut and tacked. i also made some shackle mounts for the rear bumper.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1652.jpg

rear stretch.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1653.jpg

i'll be rounding the shackles out much more than they are now. i just wanted to throw them in so i could get an idea of the length.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1654.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1655.jpg

i put a tape measure of what the original wheelbase was for the rear. the tape measure is the new wheelbase. I'll be gaining about 9" in the rear. I'll add another 8-9" in the front. the wheelbase should be 98-100" overall.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1658.jpg

these are the rear spring hanger mounts i made. I still have to make the inside mounts. i plan to gusset the inside and outboard the springs in the rear.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1659.jpg

and look what followed me home saturday. hp dana 44 from a '76 f-150. i got it from jovibuilt (super guy to buy from btw)
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1656.jpg

i'll get this thing cleaned up and painted this week. i got it out of the car and that is where it will sit until i work up some more strength to move that heavy bastard around.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1657.jpg

Oh come on man eat some spinach and throw that sumbich around.

haha i know right! you should have seen that thing in the chevy aveo rental car i have for work right now. hilarious.

what do you guys think of my rear shackle angle. it will probably flatten out even more when there is weight on the springs. should i move my frame spring hangers forward to get the shackles a little more vertical? let me know.

what do you guys think of my rear shackle angle. it will probably flatten out even more when there is weight on the springs. should i move my frame spring hangers forward to get the shackles a little more vertical? let me know.

I'd approximate the final load... fuel tank, fuel, gear, etc with something (sandbags, kids, neighbors) and drop it on the leafs. Once the weight is on them, they'll flatten/elongate and the shackle angle will likely get worse...

I'd shoot for this.

Attachments

• Shackle angle.jpg
    Shackle angle.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,470
I'd approximate the final load... fuel tank, fuel, gear, etc with something (sandbags, kids, neighbors) and drop it on the leafs. Once the weight is on them, they'll flatten/elongate and the shackle angle will likely get worse...

thanks guys! i was figuring they were a little too far out there for unsprung weight. i'll get the rear bumper / shackle hangers welded up since they are where i want them and then get the axle under the rear so i can add some weight to it and see what we're looking at. i'm pretty positive that i'll have to move the spring hangers forward 1.5-2" to keep an optimal shackle angle when at ride height.

i got a little more work done tonight.

i welded up the bumper and shackle hangers for the rear and rounded out my shackles on the bumper ends so i could bolt up the springs to the bumper. I added a 1.75" piece of DOM tubing that i bent to prevent backing up into the shackles or springs since they're mounted to the bumper. i'm pretty happy with how it turned out. i still have to move my rear spring hangers forward to take a little bit of the angle out of my rear shackles. i should have the rear axle under the jeep by the weekend if i'm lucky.

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1660.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1661.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1665.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1666.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1667.jpg

i got some more work done over the weekend. i got the spring hangers welded in. i ended up buying some hangers from barnes 4wd. those guys are awesome to deal with and they are super quick.

anyways, i got the rear wheelbase set. the tape measure gives you an idea of what the 38" tires will be front to rear.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1746.jpg

another. the rear stretch ended up being 9". my total wheelbase without stretching the front yet is 91.5". i plan on stretching the front about 10" or so for a total wheelbase of around 101.5-103".
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1747.jpg

new shackle angle. MUCH better!
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1748.jpg

the barnes 4wd spring hangers come in two pieces so i had to weld the cross brace in.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1750.jpg

cross brace welded in.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1751.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1749.jpg

front axle wedges cut off and wire brushed the axle.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1752.jpg

ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1753.jpg

paint makes something look so good.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1754.jpg

everything that is still rusty will not be used.
ai1024.photobucket.com_albums_y309_95builtjeep_gone_20postal_DSCN1755.jpg

Back