Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

more progress is always a good thing

kitchen gutted
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8623.jpg

how not to run HVAC return line.. I had them rip that out and do it correctly in a better location ( no pic yet)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8632.jpg

bath floor water testing to make sure it wont leak
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8633.jpg

old walk in door gone and we will be putting up a peg board over it to use for tools etc
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8636.jpg

plumbing is all done
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8635.jpg

we picked the exterior paint color and painter came this weekend to get new addition painted
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8634.jpg

exterior all painted
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8650.jpg

and also a rendering with garage door on it
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_wd_105778787.jpg

I've never heard of unfaced used in walls? Not that I don't believe for anything is possible I guess but how is that accomplished? Plus I may be wrong but I thought the moisture barrier was the importance of the insulation from an inspector's standpoint?

If the inspector tells you that you need a "moisture barrier", tell him he's not qualified to be doing his job. You want a vapor permeable air barrier installed on the outside of the wall. No facing on the interior of the wall.

plumbing, electrical and mechanical are done.

mechanical had 4 small issues that were fixed in 5 mins, electrical had 3 nail plates that were forgotten and they made the guys update and old original junction box that is not anywhere near this construction but inspector could see it so made us fix it.

hoping for framing inspection this thursday

nothing like working on Labor Day weekend :)

we removed the old vinyl siding from the front, then removed the old german wood panelling
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8658.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8659.jpg

little house wrap
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8660.jpg

and new hardi plank going up
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8663.jpg

and done
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8678.jpg

also ran all my low voltage wiring.
decided to use PVC and keep is simple
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8661.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8675.jpg
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8676.jpg
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8677.jpg

one pic of the attic space above new closet
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8674.jpg

and lastly the roof guys showed up and are working on roof
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8670.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but what's the need for the pvc for the low voltage besides making it a very neat job? Never seen that before. Seems a tad overkill and additional expense? I bet fishing that pvc at that diagonal was a challenge.

Also, it seems the inspector would have had a hay day for pvc is usually associated with plumbing and could be mistaken later down the road and not recognized as electrical?

Excuse my ignorance but what's the need for the pvc for the low voltage besides making it a very neat job? Never seen that before. Seems a tad overkill and additional expense? I bet fishing that pvc at that diagonal was a challenge.

Also, it seems the inspector would have had a hay day for pvc is usually associated with plumbing and could be mistaken later down the road and not recognized as electrical?

No need for it.. I just wanted an easy way to get the wiring from where DVD, and TV boxes will sit and where TV will hang. plus in 10 years from now when all the connectors change I wanted and easy way to pull new cables. I used PVC because it was cheap and I wanted the 1" size as as you never know what size cable end you want to feed threw it..

yes it took some thinking to get the diagonal pvc in place.

as for overkill well that is my middle name :) (reference other builds)

I passed all inspections so far and the next one is insulation so the chances the inspector will even see the pvc is slim to none. I did ask the electrician about my idea and he said no problem at all doing it that way..

I also ran Ethernet cable all over the house while the walls were open.. even ran it to the where the TV's hang so if I ever by a SmartTV I can hard wire it in

Well, I'm with you that the chances the remaining insulation inspector will have issues (being he's usually one and the same as electrical inspector) isn't even a thought in my mind. Think this build thread is all but built...

Guess Insulation and building final and you are set. Just don't let the insulation be under estimated.
Nicely done!

Well, I'm with you that the chances the remaining insulation inspector will have issues (being he's usually one and the same as electrical inspector) isn't even a thought in my mind. Think this build thread is all but built...

Guess Insulation and building final and you are set. Just don't let the insulation be under estimated.
Nicely done!

We did run into one issue.. the old outside door that is now inside new garage and leads to laundry room has to be replaced with a fire rated one.. was not expecting that.. but he said without it we wont pass final

What is that ?

If you mean the blue flex tube they did not have it in 1 inch size.

You can get it in like 2" dia, but it's unnecessary. Everything now goes to Cat6 when it's in the wall.

We did run into one issue.. the old outside door that is now inside new garage and leads to laundry room has to be replaced with a fire rated one.. was not expecting that.. but he said without it we wont pass final

Yep, the fire blocking parts of the code definitely affect you because of the new-construction garage. They're mostly firestop foam for passthrough openings, drywall as a fire partition, fire rated doors (20 minute rating? Can't remember...). I just came across that code section the other day while looking at stuff for my upcoming attached garage build. I'm going to have a breezeway attaching them (stupid septic tank is right next to the house) but I still need to follow the firestop code for the breezeway. I can't even remember where I found that breezeway code.

Oh, and a self-closing device on the man door.

The fire door is in R302.5 (Chapter 3) of the Residential Code if you're interested.
Chapter 3 - Building Planning

Last edited:
We are moving right along and passed our insulation inspection so next is sheet rock and then the tile guys start in bathrooms

downstairs family room
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8687.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8686.jpg

part of bathroom
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8685.jpg

new master
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8684.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8683.jpg

making progress.. guys hung sheet rock, taped and threw some mud..

they plan to be sanding Saturday.. which means everything will be covered in sheetrock dust :(

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8716.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8717.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8722.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8734.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8735.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8736.jpg

lastly the brick guys showed up and filled in where the old door was
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_8741.jpg

Get a sander with a shop vac attachment on it. You can get hand sanding blocks (for sandpaper or screen) with dust collection fittings as well if you're the hand sanding type of guy (I usually am, because I don't like to clog my Festool vac with drywall dust). Don't know if that's something that can be found locally, but I haven't looked so I don't know.

Nevermind, I didn't see that they were doing the sanding for you. Tell them to up their game and use some f'ing power tools with dust collection because it's 2015. There's no excuse for a professional drywall crew to fill the house with dust. Also tell them to use the ZipWall system.

Yep, you can find hand sanders with vac attachment locally:
Hyde Dust-Free Drywall Hand Sander Kit with 6-foot Hose-09165 - The Home Depot

awww.homedepot.com_catalog_productImages_1000_7a_7af8fef0_607e_49ad_8b53_9a37875e21cc_1000.jpg

Now I need to go buy one of those. Like, today.. so I can finish my guest bedroom this weekend. I don't know why I haven't bought one of those yet...

Last edited:
Good sheetrock mudders don't sand...:flipoff2:

I was taught to take your time and smooth it as good as you can the first go round. Then immediately use a wet solid sponge and bucket of water. It's faster considering the mess and your buggers remain green.

Good sheetrock mudders don't sand...:flipoff2:

I was taught to take your time and smooth it as good as you can the first go round. Then immediately use a wet solid sponge and bucket of water. It's faster considering the mess and your buggers remain green.

ya it was weird.. the dude that was mudding mon, tues and wed was AWESOME it looked so clean and smooth i thought this will be great no sanding :)

then two different dude came Thursday and laid that shit on thick as hell.. I have no idea why the guys changed or what the plan is but we will how the end product is.

Regardless, I think they covered everything extremely well. Cutouts look good and tight. As long as you are paying by the job and not hourly I would not be disappointed.

Who is doing the floors?

Back