Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

and of course my son had to play on the big pile of dirt

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_7996.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_7997.jpg

and they made a nice path from front of shop to back yard.. I think I may need to gravel that and give my self access going forward
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_7998.jpg

Is that container #69? Pretty sure it's been at my house before. That's the sort of thing you don't forget.

awww-impaks-com_images_ken_941_img_7993-jpg.191767

Is there a height limitation for the beam? They could have used a taller, thinner beam and gotten a lot more stiffness.

awww-impaks-com_images_ken_941_img_7993-jpg.191767

Is there a height limitation for the beam? They could have used a taller, thinner beam and gotten a lot more stiffness.

I need it to be as short as possible.. we do have a height issue that this is helping us fix

Is that container #69? Pretty sure it's been at my house before. That's the sort of thing you don't forget.

yes it is #69 :)

did you ever notice the HUGE rusty holes on the sides?

I need it to be as short as possible.. we do have a height issue that this is helping us fix
Cool. When I was doing the calcs on the loft for my shop, the ideal beam height was around 16" for a 34' span, but I could have gotten away with an 8" beam if it was thick enough. That one in your picture could easily hold a truck if properly constrained.

Ken, are you planning to use a block sealer/primer on the brick before you paint? We're getting ready to paint ours too.

we have a painter lined up to do it for us.. so we have not had that discussion yet.. as it wont happen for a few months.. but I have heard of the sealer before you paint brick to help it look better etc..

Plumber showed up and to my surprise he got everything done in one day..

He had to rip out the main water to the house, the sewer line, and the sump pump and replace it all with new..

new sump pump (we need this due to being below street level)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8006.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8016.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8017.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8018.jpg

new pipes
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8013.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8015.jpg

wife has made a small change to the pocket doors we will use in master bath area so I picked them up friday night and now need to figure out how to make them work :)

they are from a commercial job she is redesigning and they did not want them anymore.. with these the hope is light weight and they still let light in threw them instead of always having to have the lights on

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8020.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8021.jpg

the foundation work also was started saturday but due to a late afternoon large storm work was halted and they are trying to finish today

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8022.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8023.jpg

Cool, you could rip them down to get rid of the extra holes and then picture frame around the outside to common door width or something like that. Turn them into a door insert is what I'm trying to say.

Or hang them without a frame, using barn door hardware. You'd have to probably cut to size and then sand and flame polish the edges.

glad to keep seeing stuff getting done when I arrive back at the house..

smoothed out garage area and put down gravel
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8029.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8031.jpg

back filled around sump pump
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8030.jpg

and plumber came and cut a hole in floor for new downstairs bathroom and has drain pipe in
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8034.jpg

came home to a very WET concrete floor.. they got started late in the day which also ment a very late night to finish it.. guys left at 11pm

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8049.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8050.jpg

They decided to attack the inside block wall that we are taking out to make one large room in the basement and did they ever attack it

This room was originally a garage in 1955 and then they owner closed it in and made it into a work room.
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8038.jpg

this used to be just a basement room that we finished off and made into a basement TV/family room
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8043.jpg

the block wall coming down
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8052.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8057.jpg

and the concrete guy was super cool and helped us put the kids hand prints in the garage floor
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8053.jpg

lastly while he was here is water proofed the outside of the foundation walls
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8055.jpg

After discussing the plan for the I Beam in the basement we agreed to make a change but that would mean that the beam needed to be cut and shortened. Good thing I have a shop full of metal tools :)

so we measured and marked the beam and I cut off what was not needed after work friday.. we estimate it saved us about $500 to not call in a portable metal guy

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8059.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8060.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8061.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8062.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8063.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8064.jpg

saturday morning they came back and got the beam up and supported with temporary walls
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8066.jpg

and lastly the concrete guy helped us get the kids hand prints in the floor forever
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8070.jpg

after they ripped down the block wall there was a recess in the floor to the foundation so we had to fill that with concrete and

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8075.jpg

we had 3 guys show up yesterday and they started framing in the garage area. the head in the center of the garage is crazy HUGE

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8077.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8078.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8080.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8081.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8084.jpg

Back