Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

been a good week.. all the floors got sanded and stained and we primed and painted the outside of the house.. this week all depends on electrician if we can get CO by end of the week ( keeping fingers crossed)

house primed
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0505.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0506.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0507.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0508.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0509.jpg

and painted
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0515.jpg

and I painted the old AC unit so it would look a little better next to the new one :)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0518.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0519.jpg

I hope you guys have had a positive experience working with Brian! It definitely seems like you've been pretty pleased with him and his subs and it has worked out well to DIY what you want.

I hope you guys have had a positive experience working with Brian! It definitely seems like you've been pretty pleased with him and his subs and it has worked out well to DIY what you want.

we have.. He has been great to work with and I would recommend him to all that need a GC in our area.. in every job; subs always amaze me at how some just do the job instead of thinking why they are doing something..

Well HOLY CRAP. what a morning

had 12 inspections today and we failed 3 of the 12..
2 will be redone tomorrow and all things that were wrong have already been fixed
1 will be redone wed.

but the final inspector showed up and signed off on CO after a quick walk threw and said since we lived in house and never shut off gas, water, electric we are good to go..

SO technically we are passed and can move back in if we want.. so looks like we will be officially moving furniture in over thanksgiving weekend :)

Very Happy to say that we have passed all inspections and we started moving stuff in yesterday for Thanksgiving.. so we sure did have a lot to be thankful for

Here is a picture will all new windows also installed (except for two that they measured wrong)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0615.jpg

What light program did you use for that ? I have been looking at light o rama for years, but never made the leap !!

What light program did you use for that ? I have been looking at light o rama for years, but never made the leap !!

I used Light O Rama. it has 16 channels and came with a preset memory card already programmed for 6 songs ( i knew I would not have time to mess with it this year) My plan is to make my own songs and light movements for next year

I bought the setup in July with the hope that the house redo would be done in time to decorate and use it.. I got super lucky for this year otherwise I would have just saved it and used it next year.

I will have to take better pics int he spring after I take down all the Christmas decorations and complete the yard but for now here is the front before and after.

now that the house is done I can finally starting organizing the shipping container and shop to what I always wanted.. so more to come on the good stuff in the next few months

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_before_after.jpg

took a few weeks but my door hinges came in..

hopefully this weekend I can get these mounted and see how the work.. keeping fingers crossed

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0691.jpg

Getting further along on the new garage door opener

Here you can see the bolts that hold the wood beam to the outside metal building
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0711.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0712.jpg

had to cut and recess them into the wood so door would clear when opening
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0713.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0714.jpg

Hinges mounted
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0716.jpg

and doors taken off old hinges and then recessed back so the new hinges will work corectly
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0717.jpg

had to weld some bracing to connect both doors together so it will swing up as one large doors
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0723.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0733.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0734.jpg

once we got it to this point we realized this is way to heavy to lift all the way up so we rigged up a hoist off the back of my truck..it worked great and we were able to lift door all the way open and then attach the springs..

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0737.jpg

once springs were attached I could lift and close the door by myself but no matter how much I adjusted the springs I can not get it to stay open by itself.. so now I need to call the company and figure out what I am doing wrong

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0740.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0738.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0745.jpg

Last edited:
Why the switch from swinging doors?

Typically you either need to have some tension still on the spring or they cam past center.

when we made the entire driveway concrete we could not get the slope correct for doors to open all the way without it being a steep slope which I did not want.. so I had him make a nice smooth slope with the plan to change the doors.. I could still get a vehicle in and out but I decided I would rather have one large door that can open and make it easier to get stuff in and out..

I did have a phone call with the hinge guy and he suggested I moved the bottom spring mount down closer to floor to get more tension on the springs. so that is my next step

well as they say it never does stop

had some water drain issues after new addition was done so here I am trying to fix it.. have to dig out the side of foundation rip up old piping and lay new pipe down.

Getting started
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0807.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0806.jpg

having a helper is always good
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0808.jpg

old clay pipe
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0810.jpg

son had a friend over so I put them both to work :)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0812.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0813.jpg

well I volunteered my shop to my 4x4 club wrenching day.. it is a day we help club members get projects done on there rigs

so my son and I had to do some cleaning up before this past saturday. here he is helping me

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_img_0902.jpg

Back