Who Really Wheels....

Do you really wheel?

• yes

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still wheel...just do it in a RZR now. It's a lot faster, more comfortable and a lot more places allow it (the main reason for converting) over to the SxS.

I think the tent camping in 3 degree weather, staying up all night, and having the brilliant idea to go on a night ride at 2 a.m. is what made it hard core for me. Now we're "camping" in a 32' toy hauler watching movies inside instead of stumbling around a campfire, taking showers instead of stinking for 3 days, shitting in a toilet while reading Trailer Life instead of holding onto a tree branch squatting in the woods, etc.

I do miss the old days though and find myself getting pissed off sometimes when everybody else has went to bed camping and I'm the only one wanting to set something on fire, ring donuts, go riding, or push a buddies vehicle an eighth of a mile up the road so he thinks someone stole it the next morning.

I've got a lot of good memories of wheeling and camping:
  • Ritchie Barlow setting his shorts on fire while lighting a fart at Windrock.
  • Dylan Wiles sliding into Mike Hundley causing him to indo at Spruce Pine in the pouring rain and it taking what seemed to be all night to get him out of the woods
  • Using the clutch cancel button on my Toyota at Callalantee then buying Robby Mosley a new E-Z up...this could have been a lot worse
  • Debating leaving my truck on Little Buffalo in Robbinsville one miserable night
  • Figuring out the VW engine block a local redneck thru in the fire was magnesium...the second night of camping. If I'm ever diagnosed with cancer, I'm pretty sure this is the reason
  • Waking up one Sunday morning at the Farm with only half a Toyota key...thank goodness the other half was still in the ignition. To this day, I have no idea how that happened
  • Turning the Toyota over on it's side twice in 5 minutes behind Paul's daughter's house and laughing my ass off about it
  • Waking up another Sunday morning at the farm trying to figure what smart ass put mud in the passenger seat of my buggy only to be reminded later that Larry had spun the mud in the truck the night before at about 6k RPM's with his buggy
Oh the memories.....

Still wheel...just do it in a RZR now. It's a lot faster, more comfortable and a lot more places allow it (the main reason for converting) over to the SxS.

I think the tent camping in 3 degree weather, staying up all night, and having the brilliant idea to go on a night ride at 2 a.m. is what made it hard core for me. Now we're "camping" in a 32' toy hauler watching movies inside instead of stumbling around a campfire, taking showers instead of stinking for 3 days, shitting in a toilet while reading Trailer Life instead of holding onto a tree branch squatting in the woods, etc.

I do miss the old days though and find myself getting pissed off sometimes when everybody else has went to bed camping and I'm the only one wanting to set something on fire, ring donuts, go riding, or push a buddies vehicle an eighth of a mile up the road so he thinks someone stole it the next morning.

• Dylan Wiles sliding into Mike Hundley causing him to indo at Spruce Pine in the pouring rain and it taking what seemed to be all night to get him out of the woods
  • Using the clutch cancel button on my Toyota at Callalantee then buying Robby Mosley a new E-Z up...this could have been a lot worse
  • Debating leaving my truck on Little Buffalo in Robbinsville one miserable night
  • Figuring out the VW engine block a local redneck thru in the fire was magnesium...the second night of camping. If I'm ever diagnosed with cancer, I'm pretty sure this is the reason
  • Waking up one Sunday morning at the Farm with only half a Toyota key...thank goodness the other half was still in the ignition. To this day, I have no idea how that happened
  • Turning the Toyota over on it's side twice in 5 minutes behind Paul's daughter's house and laughing my ass off about it
  • Waking up another Sunday morning at the farm trying to figure what smart ass put mud in the passenger seat of my buggy only to be reminded later that Larry had spun the mud in the truck the night before at about 6k RPM's with his buggy
Oh the memories.....
Thanks for taking the time to write all that down. I've been debating a lot lately about selling the jeep and buying a SXS. A lot of good perspective in there.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that down. I've been debating a lot lately about selling the jeep and buying a SXS. A lot of good perspective in there.

Started out riding in Jeeps with my dad when I was kid, then we all got ATV's around 8 years old and had ATV's till I got my license. Dad sold off the toys cause we really didn't ride together much anymore...typical teenager stuff. I then bought my own ATV when I was 19-20 years old which evolved into getting a Toyota rig which was a daily driver and wheeler. This evolved into getting a dually and trailering the thing and quickly became a non-daily driver. I eventually lost why I got into all this in the first place which was to RIDE. It seemed like everything was about going to the hardest obstacle first thing and either winching all day, working on a broken rig all day, or breaking then turning around and coming home and this got old for me. The RZR got me back to what I love about trail riding...actually trail riding. Went to Windrock in August and logged a touch over 200 miles in the woods! Even got to ride up to the front door of Brushy State Penitentiary, take a self guided tour, and pee in a jail cell toilet...the prison is abandoned and looks like something out of "The Walking Dead". It was the best wheeling trip I've had in a long, long time.

Oh the memories.....

@John B.
We ought to write a damn book, but nobody would believe half the stuff in it.

The magnesium fire that could be viewed from outer pace..bwaahaaa that was some crazy shat. Ole Toogy Red..I can hear him now...''You inz ever burnt up a moter in the far fore? Hell it's the brightest thang er iz.. Did joo say yoins did do lil buffalow er whut?

That dude and his ole lady just stared out of their camper home..talking about CIA implants and stuff, they really thought they were bugged by the feds.( I think it must have been the meth talking)

My tent filled up with rain that quickly turned into ice..damn it John, now I'm laughing at the computer screen...I just left Robbinsville in the middle of the night and left that tent where it stood...lol

Last edited:
Been there an done that, with all that said good luck to all that still do SxS but I broke everthing you could break an worked on my SxS a whole lot more than I have my crawler by FAR.

I've been wanting a rzr seems easier to haul and more riding spots available but there expensive. My street glide takes all my money and time now

Yep, I do. As much as possible. Not 3 times a month like we did In college, but once a month is my goal. Also have a dirt bike and a mtn bike for the rest of the month and week days.

Not sure what you guys have decided hardcore is. Our group usually goes to have a good time, talk some shit, and hit the hard stuff. We are all competitive but don't let it get in the way of having a good time. Every season is wheeling season.

I have a kid and a family now, so yes time is harder to come by, but this hobbie is what I grew up on. I have had more good times (and bad) in the woods than at any bar or club (had plenty of damn good times at the bar though). Everyone in my life knows this is what I do. I enjoy being in the woods and my rig is just my main way of making that happen.

My wheelin trips per year have gotten less and less the more "hardcore" my rig gets and the older I get. When my toyota was ifs on 33" mtrs with a locker in the back in highschool I wheeled at least every other weekend at the gulches or uhwarrie even tellico a few times but now that I can't drive it on the street and its turning into a buggy I wheel a lot less. Kinda miss it but I've learned a lot and met a lot of great people so I can't complain

I usually make it out for 4-6 trips a year, some may "only be" to the flats and others are to Harlan. Not having anywhere really convenient to go, makes it difficult, as do gas prices with a tow rig getting 10mpg. That was up until I hacked everything that I wasn't happy with off my truggy. Not living 3 miles from the shop has killed motivation, it's one thing when it's 5 minutes away, but 45 mins each way, no longer convenient. Recently purchasing a house with a big chunk of property, I've got my hands full on weekends. After a 10 hour day of fabbing/building other people's toys, kinda don't really pulling mine inside to work on it. Even debated selling my truggy and buying a rzr....

Once I get a shop up at my house, I'll be set, but by then, I'll be broke and the wife's going to want to start popping kids out....

It's tough, it really is. as mentioned before, Time, Energy, Money, pick two.

Back