Who Really Wheels....

Do you really wheel?

• yes

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does it make me hardcore that I was on the trails at 39 weeks pregnant?

Not unlike everyone else I've met from the forum, Matt is good people. :beer:

This

and This!
Makes you very hardcore as hardcore as Mick Foley!!!

I ride URE. That's about it. I don't like traveling 5 plus hours to go places but do about once a year. If it weren't for URE, I'd be relegated to the keyboard.

Actually I "wheel" just about every weekend...."2" wheel. Got into bikes and the whole hard enduro thing just grabbed hold of me. It's by far the most adrenaline filled time I've ever had in any motor sport. The people I ride with used to wheel quite a bit , but family and time got to where we just couldn't go like we used to. I ride like I used to wheel ..."take me to the hard stuff and lets see what happens". It is a bit more painful when things go wrong, but it's got to be overall healthier than riding through the woods eating twinkies and drinking a case of Dews.
I still have a Jeep on tons and 42's somewhere at a shop near Hickory, now that my kids are getting a little more age on them I need to get it back on the trail.

If I-85 counts, I wheel everyday...I know that's hardcore ;) Truth be told, we try to make a couple trips a year even if it's just to pick up trash. I've robbed so many parts from our "wheeling jeep" it's been dubbed the wagon & rendered immobile (it makes for a beautiful lawn ornament though).

I try to do Harlan every year. I usually buy a year pass in the spring with hopes of returning in the fall, but do not make it. This year was the first year I had been to URE in probably 6 or 7 years. Some friends and I go to a few local places a few times a year so we can keep the hubs greased. Most of the time, I'm down here on Sunset Road in Charlotte trying to keep this warehouse full of material since you plumbers never seem to take days off.....

I usually try to do 2-3 "big" trips a year. Rausch Creek PA, Ivy Branch WV, Harlan KY, and Hot Springs AR are a few places Ive been to over the last few years. Got some other bigger plans for 2015. Uwharrie is 2.5 hours away and its hard to make that drive for 12 miles of trails.

Used to make ~5 good trips a year, past 2 years I have been getting my MBA so I have only got out twice a year since that started. Next year that is over though and there will be some fun trips planned. Plus in the downtime of not wheeling it keeps getting upgraded.

My situation isn't much different. I went often when I had money and time. These days I never seem to have either. I'm still serve as winch wench on occasion. I do miss it, but for every hour I spent on the trail, I spent another 10 in the garage wrenching. I expect to get back in the game one day, just not sure when that will be.

Why did I have to pull cable myself when we went to the flats then! :burnout:

Used to make ~5 good trips a year, past 2 years I have been getting my MBA so I have only got out twice a year since that started. Next year that is over though and there will be some fun trips planned. Plus in the downtime of not wheeling it keeps getting upgraded.

Why did I have to pull cable myself when we went to the flats then! :burnout:

I believe that I busy was holding the unstable hi-lift in place so the Jeep wouldn't fall over and kill any small forest creatures!

Got a nice bike & it's a lot cheaper to ride that than drive 5 hours to Harlan or further to wheel. The hobby just got to costly for me. However I may build a short uwharrie rig so I can trail ride in the near future.

My situation exactly. Sold my rig and bought a nice mountain bike, much easier and cheaper to use it. I do miss wheeling but I have a 4 banger comanche that I plan to do a small junk yard build on, just to run up to UNF occasionally when I get the wheelin itch.

I go as much as I possibly can, average 1-2 trips a month and consider myself fortunate to be able too. No way in hell am I going to bust my ass as hard as I do at work and not take the time to enjoy life. Wheelin is my stress relief, does me alot of good.

I wheel, mostly the Flats. Try to make at least one big ride a year. Have plans for 2 big rides next year, crossing my fingers.

I think hardcore would be when you live in a rented trailer, but wheel a rock bouncer capable of any obstacle while denying child support to your only son. Your now pulling out with a gut feeling you lost another job because you told the boss hell no to overtime, which would have cut into your wheeling schedule. And the old lady is screaming to the top of her lungs cause your leaving the ponderosa. She's your third wife and she's packing her shit and leaving for some better attention.

I wheel every chance I get permitting family and other prior obligations don't interfere. (10-12 times a year)

I'm am hardcore? Depends on who I'm wheeling with at the time and what the options are on the obstacle. Trail ridding can become very boring very quickly, but I still do it. That being said, I still like the double blacks or reds, but I take the easy line if there is an option. 37's and D44's only get you so far...

Interwebz wheeling can be fun too!
You are truly hardcore! Man you beat on that nice pretty jeep way harder than I would if it was mine. If you had a buggy you would be a bad man[emoji16]

I thrashed my YJ on a 3.5 lift and 32 swampers for several years without ever changing anything but the oil, I went to URE at least 6 times a year.Then, I decided to go tons with it, SOA, small block chevy on the 3.5 lift springs and decided to get away from the worry of having to drive it home so I bought a nice Dodge Ram and a 21 foot trailer to tow the YJ and my pop up camper.
Well I never finished the SOA on the YJ, One of my trailer bearings came apart a month ago to the point that the wheel fell off. I also tore the transfer case, rear end,transmission and broke the rear driveshaft on the Ram towing the trailer home when I first got it. My plan to make my 4x4 situation better really screwed up what was a decent drive and wheel wrangler that I at least got out a few times every year on.
So I bought a ZJ and put a 4.5 lift on it with 31's just to have something to wheel while I fixed everything else. Since I lifted it I have been chasing the worst Death Wobble I have ever heard of. I've installed an adjustable track bar,got the front axle within 1/8 inch side to side,done what seems like a decent enough alignment and gone over every front end bolt 20 times and still going over 35 MPH is terrifying when you hit a bump because Death Wobble tears the steering wheel out of your hand. It definitely makes me long for the day when wheeling was simple and I just drove the Wrangler where I was going to go. Now I own 3 four wheel drive vehicles and I haven't seen a trail in 2 years, so Interwebz it is for me Paul......

I started this thread as i questioned my sanity for preparing 2 rigs. For Harlan. And it is gonna be cold as fuc
My good friend @ol'Jeeps said it best.
Fine line between crazy and stupid, i walk it everyday.
As much as life allows-which isn't as often as i like, but when we roll we roll hardcore ....we travel, we break, fix, we wheel, roll, EAT, little sleep, burn that bitch down most of the night. ......

Btw, we'll thaw out by the fire and tell a shit load of lies

Right redneck?
Hell to the yeah!
I wheel. I don't got to URE. Does this mean I'm "hardcore"? I'd like someone to define a "hardcore wheeler", the term constantly amuses me.
You are not "hardcore"
Just a real deal wheeler like me.
I haven't wheeled in almost 2 years.

I thought I was going to make it to the Flats open ride a few weeks ago, but we ended up taking my boy to Gatlinburg/Dollywood for a long weekend.

When I was single I used to wheel about every 3 weeks on average. After I met my wife it slowed down to about every 4-6 weeks. After my boy was born, it slowed down to about every 6-8 weeks for the first couple years. Then life got REALLY busy over the past two years. I moved twice, built a house, my wife had three vertebrae in her neck fused, raised a toddler going through terrible two's (see previous comment, couldn't leave him alone with my wife with her bad neck), still landscaping the new house, etc. I am hoping to hit URE once before they close this year. I'm also hoping to get back to wheeling maybe once every 6-8 weeks starting in 2015. My boy turns 4 tomorrow. I'm hoping to start taking him with me in another year or two.

As far as being hardcore, what defines hardcore? How many trips you take each year? How much you spend on repairs every year? How far you travel to wheel? Sleep in the dirt or in an RV? How many nights in a row you spend away from home on a trip?
Watched you slay Superman @ the flats. i backed out
Does it make me hardcore that I was on the trails at 39 weeks pregnant?

Not unlike everyone else I've met from the forum, Matt is good people. :beer:

This

and This!
Makes you Badass!
And some one i admire.

Like so many others, I've slowed down a lot to onl ya couple times a year, in fact this year I think I've only been out once where I was driving. After racing off and on w/ the early ECORS etc I had a lot of other stuff come up, 4Runner hasn't really been driven since the Winrock race in 2011 when I FUBARED my front suspension. Since then the wheelin' has either been co-piloting a few races, riding w/ others, or a mostly stock truck.
Then the old Bronco came along unexpectedly and has become the new project, a very different flavor from what I'm used to, and of course has been taking forever to get it done.
This is pretty much a part-time hobby alongside others like backpacking/outdoors stuff, Scouts w/ my son, home improvement, blah blah.

I understand where all of you younger guys are coming from. Life happens, and with jobs, mortgages, children and so on, it makes more and more difficult to go. My advice is this. Live the dream. If only in small doses, live the dream. When my kids were young, but old enough, I used to take them. I was able to fuse my love of camping and hiking, with my love of wheeling and spending time with my kids. Jobs came, and went, kids grew up. Wives came... and went. But, my love of wheeling got stronger. My knowledge of builds, my skills, my love of being "out there" still continues today. In 2007, while at The Dixie Run, I got sick, went to hospital, had a heart attack. But I went back to camp, took one day off from wheeling, and then wheeled some more. A few weeks later, I had 5 by pass heart surgery. IN less than 30 days after surgery, I was back on the trail in Mountain City, wheeling in the cold. By that time I had built a base of friends where as all I had to do was be able to load my Jeep, Turn the key and point it in the direction of the trails, my friends took care of the rest. In 2012, I found out my then wife was cheating, while I was away wheeling at The Gulches. I continue to wheel. About 5 years ago, I helped form a Wheelin club. I was able and blessed to be able to turn my passion into something even more. I wheel, and help, with many more beside me, individuals, organizations, children. We have raised 10's of thousands of dollars helping people, and, we still wheel. Also back in 2012, I injured my knee in a work accident, but, I wasn't long in getting back in my Jeep. Even short time of going to an event on a cane. Still today, it's a chore to get in and out of The Jeep. But I don't stop, or maybe I should say, I won't stop. It is what drives me. I am much closer to most of my wheeling family, than I am to most of my family. I have found that Karma, doesn't have to be which bites you in the ass, but more so, Karma is what happens when you break, and your friends dive in and fix you, so you can continue. I'd like to think, most of them like me, maybe even love me, as much as I do them. Truth be told, they wanna wheel and if they wait on me to fix it, it's gonna be a while. Slowly. ever soooo slowly, I have progressed from wheeling what I drive, to a trailer queen. Driving it to and from the trails, to pulling it. I started out towing with my old Jeep truck, sleeping in a tent or in the back of the truck, to a van tow rig, then an old RV, then to a pop up, and now a class C RV. I have went from bone stock to a somewhat modified Jeep. Now do I live in the greatest of homes? Nope, but it's paid for. So I drive the nicest Buggy, nope, but it's paid for. Do I eat as my dad would say, "high on the hog"? Nope, only had bacon twice this year, and both times, I was wheeling. I am slowing a lot in these past years. But I won't stop, until I stop. ON my tombstone I don't want it to read, here lies Chip, he worked a lot and made a lot of money. I want it to read, here lies Chip, he had a blast! He was a good man, a good friend, and a good father and G-Paw. If it says that, it will have been a good life!

wheel on!

The last time I went on a big wheeling trip was New Years 2012/2013 at harlan. Broke the jeep pretty good on little jagger at the end of the weekend.
After building a cage on my rzr and selling that, rebuilding a dd yj for my now fiancé, it took a year to fix my yj. Since having it fixed this year, I've had it out 4 times at the local jeep club for small day trips. This year I have been working on my dads (moldman05) s10 truck, fixing the fuel injection and doing the rear 4link. I have also moved from a rental house and bought a foreclosure and have been working to update and make the house out home. As well I am now engaged.

I am lucky to have a fiancé that will work with me in the shop or at the house all weekend long.

We missed harlan this fall to work on the house, but are headed up there this New Years. It will either be in the 60's or in the 20's. Never can tell before then. Happy and excited to get back on the trails. Life has definitely gotten in the way of building/off-roading lately but it makes it more worthwhile when we can go.

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading these stories, please keep em coming!
I do think @upnover just turned it up a few notches. Major cheers to you sir!

I started this thread as i questioned my sanity for preparing 2 rigs. For Harlan. And it is gonna be cold as fuc
My good friend @ol'Jeeps said it best.
Fine line between crazy and stupid, i walk it everyday.

You sir are a good man, Deanna is a lucky woman

Back