Who Really Wheels....

Do you really wheel?

• yes

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wheel every chance I get permitting family and other prior obligations don't interfere. (10-12 times a year)

I'm am hardcore? Depends on who I'm wheeling with at the time and what the options are on the obstacle. Trail ridding can become very boring very quickly, but I still do it. That being said, I still like the double blacks or reds, but I take the easy line if there is an option. 37's and D44's only get you so far...

Interwebz wheeling can be fun too!

index.php
NAILED IT.

Sold my last rig a few years ago and haven't been since. So I guess I would say no. My son and i both hope that I find a Cheap CJ in the near future and i would like to get to Uwharrie every now and then. It will stay mostly stock though.

I used to wheel a lot when I was in School, but now that I'm working for a living, I find it hard to find time to do so. Plus, I freak out about breaking something since it is my DD now.

I often think about selling my XJ and getting something more economical and fun to drive. Bought the wife a '13 Madza 3 which I drive often, but its her car...not the same as having your own car.

Kinda, halfway, not really. Usually go to Harlan 2x a year and a local spot a couple times a year. Havent been anywhere since Harlan in April. Time and $$ is keeping me home. Rig is almost done (whatever that means), but just dont have time to go.

I do but nearly as much as I would like. My life got busy about 4 years ago and hasn't let up. I'm currently in the process of a major suspension upgrade and it's taking forever. I've had some help but it still needs more resources thrown at it to get finished. I plant to have it done before the end of December but we'll see.

Had no idea certain members got the impression NC4x4 members had to wheel???:flipoff2: I assumed the site was based towards "4 wheel drive owners / enthusiasts who reside in or around North Carolina"???

Although I wheeled an Early Bronco back in my day, I'm now more into antique 4x4 restorations. Although I only restore solid axle vehicles that are capable, it would not return much of my investments if I wheeled???:D:rockon:

Cheers!

Last edited:
My situation isn't much different. I went often when I had money and time. These days I never seem to have either. I'm still serve as winch wench on occasion. I do miss it, but for every hour I spent on the trail, I spent another 10 in the garage wrenching. I expect to get back in the game one day, just not sure when that will be.

Since I finished my jeep a year ago Ive probably been on the trail probably twenty days. Mostly the flats and Leonard farm but I did get to go to windrock and golden mtn this fall which was awesome. Should be going to Harlan this weekend as I was reminded this morning by a good friend. Think he was his st wanting to rub it in. Lol been a hectic year for everything but I can say my new crawler is definitely trail tested and it has done well. And yes I hit almost all hard stuff so I guess I could say I'm hardcore now.

Seems like the 80/20 rule applies to wheeling as well. 80% shop time to 20% wheeling time. Funny though i enjoy both sides about 50% each. If i can't be in the woods wheeling i want to be in the shop building /working on one.

I haven't wheeled in almost 2 years.

I thought I was going to make it to the Flats open ride a few weeks ago, but we ended up taking my boy to Gatlinburg/Dollywood for a long weekend.

When I was single I used to wheel about every 3 weeks on average. After I met my wife it slowed down to about every 4-6 weeks. After my boy was born, it slowed down to about every 6-8 weeks for the first couple years. Then life got REALLY busy over the past two years. I moved twice, built a house, my wife had three vertebrae in her neck fused, raised a toddler going through terrible two's (see previous comment, couldn't leave him alone with my wife with her bad neck), still landscaping the new house, etc. I am hoping to hit URE once before they close this year. I'm also hoping to get back to wheeling maybe once every 6-8 weeks starting in 2015. My boy turns 4 tomorrow. I'm hoping to start taking him with me in another year or two.

As far as being hardcore, what defines hardcore? How many trips you take each year? How much you spend on repairs every year? How far you travel to wheel? Sleep in the dirt or in an RV? How many nights in a row you spend away from home on a trip?

Last edited:
Hardcore ? At least in my heart. Finally got back to Harlan a few weeks ago and planning another trip there at end of year. Couldn't get my rig going for about a year. Thought about giving it up a few times. But I'm really fortunate to have a family to tolerate and support my addiction to making internal combustion engines turning big rubber tires go places that look impossible. My wife who can't tolerate mountain trails allows me to spend weekends working on old trucks and weekends out of town. My son who got me back into offroading and can build a four link that's works perfect first time out spends many a weekend working on my trucks. His wife to be keeps us company at the shop, can probably weld better than anybody else around here, and provides the crucial positive support when thing go wrong. I am lucky to have a shop that I can make all the noise I want any time I want and room to close the doors and walk away. Yes I have to use a lot of old worn out parts and we have to do everything ourselves but a weekend wheeling makes it all worthwhile. I couldn't do it with out friends like Shane, Mark, Stinky and Furry. Next year marks the 50th anniversary of my first off road vehicle. My friend Jim and I cut the body off a '53 Plymouth and rode the cornfields all summer.

Seems like the 80/20 rule applies to wheeling as well. 80% shop time to 20% wheeling time. Funny though i enjoy both sides about 50% each. If i can't be in the woods wheeling i want to be in the shop building /working on one.
First off this thread has made me really like "mcutler"!! His answers are spot on with mine.
Hardcore? I have rolled a time or two, experienced some body damage, slept on the ground or in a truckbed, made numerous trail repairs, and ate Ramen noodles for a week b/c i needed "that" part, so I guess I used to be a mildly firm cored. I still ride just not as much since I got the buggy going, I have recently gone through my sammi and fixed it back so I plan on beating on it a little more these days, and I do like the hard lines.

I'm also hoping to get back to wheeling maybe once every 6-8 weeks starting in 2015. My boy turns 4 tomorrow. I'm hoping to start taking him with me in another year or two.
QUOTE]

You should have already had him out there with you man. Keep waiting and he will want to hang with friends instead of you.

I try to hit ure once s month since its just an hour and a half away, even though I'm way overbuilt for it I just like trail riding as much as the crawling. I try to hit two or more harder places a year like Harlan or the Flats. I work every other Saturday, so I have to schedule trips around that.

I do wheel, not like i use to before racing and taking on the task of helping keep our trails at URE open. I will say alot of my "wheeling" is 50-75 yards at a time, then stop pick up bud light cans, get back in.... Repeat.

I took one big trip this year and had a good time spite have a broke down jeep and a rzr that wanted to overheat. Had a great time with 30 of my good friends, which to me, is what wheeling is all about, the side show.

I consider myself a wheeler. Have been for over 10 years. Ive been building this latest rig (which is so close to done its pathetic) over the last three years so I haven't had anything to drive. However, I do routinely go on trips with friends and ride bitch, which sucks royally but at least I'm there. I'm quick to help a friend wrench on stuff. I pretty much live outdoors regardless of season or temperature. The camping with friends part is my favorite anyways. I'm about to trade my 05 dodge 1500 truck in for a 05 TJ for DD duties just to get back in the dirt! Other than that wheeling has inspired me to learn how to weld, fabricate, wire, plumb, etc... Essentially everthing needed to build specialized vehicles from the ground up and is my biggest deciding factor in going back to school and taking a step into the engineering world. Wait, what were we even talking about?? Oh, I'm about to be back in f'n black!!

Does it make me hardcore that I was on the trails at 39 weeks pregnant?

First off this thread has made me really like "mcutler"!!

Not unlike everyone else I've met from the forum, Matt is good people. :beer:

a lot of my "wheeling" is 50-75 yards at a time, then stop pick up bud light cans, get back in.... Repeat.

This

I took one big trip this year and had a good time spite have a broke down jeep and a rzr that wanted to overheat. Had a great time with 30 of my good friends, which to me, is what wheeling is all about, the side show.

and This!

man this thread is depressing yet refreshing to read; makes me realize I havent been "wheeling" in quite a while, but I refreshing that I'm not alone in my 4LO keyboard tapping.
Back in the days before children, I was able to wheel quite a bit, mostly Uwharrie and daytrips to places that are closed now. Wife was pregnant with kid #1, and I vowed to wheel once/month in 2004, life was good. After that, it was hard to do it, but I managed to squeeze in some trips, and then the UREcross race happened, spawning ECORS. I don't know how I was able to juggle a family of 3 and every ECORS race from 2009 mid 2013, now the kids are requiring a lot more time. My driveway has 4 Jeeps and a towrig, so it looks liek I might wheel a lot, but the reality is I'm not even wrenching enough to get one of the Jeeps mobile.

Back