What have you done for your health today?

20.4 Tonight. Should be loads of fun...Workout is, in a 20 min time cap

30 Box Jumps
15 clean and jerk at 95lbs
30 box jump
15 clean and jerk at 135lbs
30 box jump
10 clean and jerk at 185lbs
30 pistols
10 clean and jerk at 225lbs
30 pistols
5 clean at jerk and 275lbs
30 pistols
5 clean and jerk at 315lbs

Finally a HEAVY barbell. My max clean and jerk is at 245. If I can get through the pistols(something I struggle with) I would be happy with hitting a couple at 225.

Looking forward to this one.

I am adding in pushups and situps to my workout. I also want to add something for grip and my forearms. After running GFDs abilities test and having to pull a roll of hose up the side of a 4 story building, I realized I have no forearm strength and suffered because of it. Any suggestions?

I am adding in pushups and situps to my workout. I also want to add something for grip and my forearms. After running GFDs abilities test and having to pull a roll of hose up the side of a 4 story building, I realized I have no forearm strength and suffered because of it. Any suggestions?

Get a piece of pipe or wooden dowel, maybe 1.5' in length, maybe 1.5" to 2" around. Take a strap(old ratchet strap or something), tie it to the middle of the rod. The other end, loop it over a 2.5lb plate(or a 5lb). Hold the pipe with both hands(strap in the center). Straighten your arms to shoulder level, start slowly rolling the pipe, which picks the weight up off the floor(strap needs to be long enough for the weight to be on the ground when your arms are extended). Roll the strap/weight all the way up till the weight touches the pipe, then slowly unroll it. Keep doing it. It will burn your forearms up and improve your grip(much of your grip strength comes from forearms). This also keeps your shoulders working and your core engaged as well.

Other ways to improve grip strength. Dead hangs from a pullup bar. See how long you can hold without dropping. If you can hold for :30 secs, go for a minute etc. Add weight in the form of a belt with a weight attached. If you do deadlifts, try and use a double overhand grip rather than a switch grip for your heavier lifts. I used to switch grip a lot for anything over 225. A PT friend of mine told me that you run the risk of popping a bicep on switch grip because it engages the bicep more. So I switched to double overhand. I can now comfortably pull all but my max weight on deadlift with a double overhand grip and that translates to a better snatch and clean and jerk(same hand position).

Forearm/grip strength is fun to train but can make humble you real quick. A 2.5lb or 5lb weight can get quite heavy :lol:

Get a piece of pipe or wooden dowel, maybe 1.5' in length, maybe 1.5" to 2" around. Take a strap(old ratchet strap or something), tie it to the middle of the rod. The other end, loop it over a 2.5lb plate(or a 5lb). Hold the pipe with both hands(strap in the center). Straighten your arms to shoulder level, start slowly rolling the pipe, which picks the weight up off the floor(strap needs to be long enough for the weight to be on the ground when your arms are extended). Roll the strap/weight all the way up till the weight touches the pipe, then slowly unroll it. Keep doing it. It will burn your forearms up and improve your grip(much of your grip strength comes from forearms). This also keeps your shoulders working and your core engaged as well.

Other ways to improve grip strength. Dead hangs from a pullup bar. See how long you can hold without dropping. If you can hold for :30 secs, go for a minute etc. Add weight in the form of a belt with a weight attached. If you do deadlifts, try and use a double overhand grip rather than a switch grip for your heavier lifts. I used to switch grip a lot for anything over 225. A PT friend of mine told me that you run the risk of popping a bicep on switch grip because it engages the bicep more. So I switched to double overhand. I can now comfortably pull all but my max weight on deadlift with a double overhand grip and that translates to a better snatch and clean and jerk(same hand position).

Forearm/grip strength is fun to train but can make humble you real quick. A 2.5lb or 5lb weight can get quite heavy :lol:

I do similar with a slight twist on the rod for forearm.
We have 4 dowel rods of varying thicknesses. (Now I need to go check them to tell you the size)...but the largest is too big to wrap your hands around...like coke can size.
Drill a hole in the center and pass a section of rope through the hole and tie a not. On the other end we affixed a good climbing quality caribiner (sp?). Then I have a short strap with a couple loops on it we can pass through different plates.2.5,5,10...even a 25 for fun..and clip to the caribiner.
Then roll the rope up and let it down slowly...I fell as much on the let down as I do on the pull. You can get different areas of the forearm/grip with different movements. Alternate hands, then try (with the 2.5 only Id recommend) to do 2 hands at once etc. Keep your arms extended in front of you and level and you get a shoulder workout as well.

@Ron yup, basically what we have at the gym, although we don't have the different size thickness rods. It's a killer forearm workout for sure. Works the shoulder's great and forces you to engage your core/glutes at the same time.

Thanks. I was dang near embarrassed at how much that hose lift set me back. Still passed, but that cost me probably 10 seconds there, and probably another 20 on the kaiser machine which was right after. That really threw me off my game both physically and mentally. Ill grab a drop piece of pipe and get started on it.

@Ron yup, basically what we have at the gym, although we don't have the different size thickness rods. It's a killer forearm workout for sure. Works the shoulder's great and forces you to engage your core/glutes at the same time.
One of Lane's football coaches started us on the different size dowels. I thought it was goofy, but it actually does a cool job. Start with the fattest one and do it until that unmistakable brun that is almost ticklish funny but makes you want to cry, then drop and immediately grab the next size down...initially it feels super easy, but the burn comes on quicker...its funny watching the body react.

We have a story deck and just for gigle made a 30' version and lifted a 5 lb plate up and down...3 times will make a wimp out me...NO MAS...

We have an axle bar for deadlifts. Sooo much harder even with lighter weight because it forces you to focus on your grip and pulling technique.

We have an axle bar for deadlifts. Sooo much harder even with lighter weight because it forces you to focus on your grip and pulling technique.
Ever messed with a country crush? I think that's right name...humbling experience

Ever messed with a country crush? I think that's right name...humbling experience

Negative, looks like a really fat grip V handle. Looks fun.

Whenever I coach on Saturdays(free workout...) I usually try to program some kind of strongman/odd object movements. Things like Sandbag cleans/carries, farmer carries, tire flips, hammer hits etc. It's hard to program movements like that for a big class(20+) because we usually don't have enough equipment to go around.

We do have some grip equipment as before mentioned but I might need to tell the owner to buy one of those...

Have you checked out Grip Genie? The guy that owns/operates it is a monster(instagram handle @jujimufu, seriously funny guy and he lives in Charlotte). I've been wanting to get some of his grip training equipment for the gym and for personal use but haven't yet.

It shocked me to see how many people really struggle with the kaiser machine. Its just natural for me, I guess because we have always heated with wood. But a lot of folks really got hung up on that.

Im not sure what a kaiser machine is and a quick google isnt helping..

It shocked me to see how many people really struggle with the kaiser machine. Its just natural for me, I guess because we have always heated with wood. But a lot of folks really got hung up on that.

Keiser Force Machine

So I had to google what that was lol...looks like a lot of fun. They introduced that movement a couple years ago at the Crossfit Games and a lot of people had issues with it(really, really FIT people). They haven't brought it back lol. Lot of complaints bc some athlethes would hit and "hook" the sled with the edge of the hammer and pull it back, got done a lot quicker than the people actually hitting it like its supposed to. I would love to try one out but at 3k a pop:eek:

Keiser Force Machine

So I had to google what that was lol...looks like a lot of fun. They introduced that movement a couple years ago at the Crossfit Games and a lot of people had issues with it(really, really FIT people). They haven't brought it back lol. Lot of complaints bc some athlethes would hit and "hook" the sled with the edge of the hammer and pull it back, got done a lot quicker than the people actually hitting it like its supposed to. I would love to try one out but at 3k a pop:eek:

Its a work out for sure. Ive been splitting wood as long as I can remember (started with wedges and a small sledge hammer) and its still a chore. I was worried about it at first, but Lewisville FD was kind enough to let me use theirs after class a few times and now its my advantage. Its supposed to simulate manually venting a roof with an ax.

Another great month of activity.
Screenshot_20191031-200526.png

Tomorrow's plan is a quick ride to loosen up my legs (rained a ton since Wednesday) in preparation of my Swank 65 mountain bike race on Sunday.
The shorter days will make keeping my miles up difficult, but I'll just ride with my headlight for a while.
I'm so proud of all of you who are participating and seeing results.

I called in sick to work today. Even when I'm actually sick, I still feel guilty about it....usually. No ragrets today. Me and the doggos slepts until like 2:30. I don't think I've called in all year so far. I needed it. Now I have to work all weekend, but OT makes it so I can deal with it :D

Every now and again, you need to say "F It" and call in.

my 14yo daughter calls our pup that... Where'd it come from? Or is it just some new age thing?

I have both puppers AND doggos. I rarely ever call them by their names, usually a derivative of some sort. They're all puppies though...no matter their age.

20.4 Tonight. Should be loads of fun...Workout is, in a 20 min time cap

30 Box Jumps
15 clean and jerk at 95lbs
30 box jump
15 clean and jerk at 135lbs
30 box jump
10 clean and jerk at 185lbs
30 pistols
10 clean and jerk at 225lbs
30 pistols
5 clean at jerk and 275lbs
30 pistols
5 clean and jerk at 315lbs

Finally a HEAVY barbell. My max clean and jerk is at 245. If I can get through the pistols(something I struggle with) I would be happy with hitting a couple at 225.

Looking forward to this one.
Got 1 225. Attempted 3 in last 2 min.

Well my stress test went good and they released me for a whole year for my med card. My cardiologist was a little stumped my echocardiogram didnt match what my stress test showed. So I go back in 4 months for another echo to have some comparisons. So good bill of health and it's time to start adding some training into my current regime of cleaner eating to drop some lbs. And I haven't had a dip in 3 weeks.
ad531204f499a56297310f8ff67aed39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Time to check in.
Still doing my thing here. Been keeping my miles up on the bike (even with cold weather) and eating pretty clean. Could be a little better, but still seeing results.
Had my 65k bike race last weekend and did better than I thought I would. I actually had some personal record times as compared to my training times. Signed up for a 50 miler on January and plan to race a 111k Pisgah race in May.
I haven't checked my weight in a couple weeks. Clothes are looser, my endurance is pretty insane (right @Oliver's ?) and my overall health is the best it's ever been.
One week into November and I'm ahead of my warm weather biking miles.
Screenshot_20191109-220212.png

Back