Uwharrie Trail Work Day #4, July 17th

Will you attend the work day?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
travis (t frady) i'm in. we just got to get ahold of the 3rd stooge. i'm going to TRY to get off early that day. if you and the 3rd are 100% yallcan pay me and i'll paypal him the money that way it'll be done.

what kind of tools do we need to bring?

that means im 100% sure now and prob one more maybe 2 more not including userbmx1315
AJ read page 1 for tool list I wont be home till around 5 i have a competition for school that day in Greensboro so it will have to be a almost dark ride better for overheating anyways :) Ill call you tomorrow when im off

I just wanted to post this since I felt a little "off" towards the end of the last work day.
Signs of heat exhaustion include: nausea, vomiting, fatique, weakness, headache, muscle cramps, and dizziness. If you are experiencing heat exhaustion or are with someone who is, find a cool and shady area – get out of the sun and heat. COOL OFF.
Heat exhaustion is less severe than heat stroke but can quickly progress to heat stroke. Stave it off by bring down your body temp (or the temp of the person suffering from it). Take it seriously.
Signs of heat stroke include: high body temp, the absence of sweating, flushed hot skin, rapid pulse, difficulty breathing, strange behavior, confusion, hallucinations, agitation, disorientation, seizure, and coma.
Obviously, heat stroke is a BIG DEAL. If you think you or someone else is experiencing heat stroke, get out of the sun. Call emergency services – this is not optional, – heat stroke can kill.
Call emergency services as soon as possible. While you wait, find a place to cool off. Remove clothing if possible. Bath skin in tepid or cool water – NOT cold. Fan yourself or the person suffering.
Use ice packs if you have them, under the armpits and on the groin. (Be sure to wrap the ice packs as the shock of frozen ice packs can damage skin tissue.) Monitor body temp – people suffering from heat stroke can have temps as high as 106 degrees! This is not healthy. Continue efforts and try to bring it down to at least 101. Keep these efforts up until emergency services arrive.
I'd say everyone needs a cooler with ice and water or sports drinks. Caffeinated soda is pretty bad as it can act as a diuretic and make things worse. Or at least drink a bottle of water or even two to each soda. Or save the soda for lunch/end of the day.

Ok, here is the current situation.

For one night we have 4 spots left in the cabin, and for one night we have 3 spots left. And for those spots we have 4 people interested. This is based on the 8 sleeping spots/max occupancy of the cabin. That leaves one odd man out for one night. So it will be first come first serve, whom ever gets their payment in first will have the first pick on the following:

3x - 2 night reservations, guaranteed bed/sleeping, $37
1x - 1 night reservation, guaranteed bed/sleeping, $18

So three people can pay the full $37 and be guaranteed a bed/place to sleep for both nights.

One person can pay $18 and be guaranteed a bed/place to sleep for one night. The other night they are on their own, that means bring a sleeping bag to sleep on the floor.

That is the only fair way I can see to do this without telling someone they can't stay. Beyond that if people want to stay over night we will have to work something else out. I don't know if they allow camping on the cabin property, but someone may have to set up a tent behind the cabin.

Again first come first serve. I know some will point out they will have to PM me for my paypal and I have to get back to them etc, limiting who pays when etc. So when you send me a PM for my paypal with how many people you are paying for, I will consider that your commitment to payment.

If anyone who is attending this workday drives a 97, or newer, TJ, and has an open seat, I would like to hitch a ride with you for the day. I am considering buying one, and would like to ride along in one for a day. ThanX! :)

If anyone who is attending this workday drives a 97, or newer, TJ, and has an open seat, I would like to hitch a ride with you for the day. I am considering buying one, and would like to ride along in one for a day. ThanX! :)

You staying over night or just coming up for the day? :beer:

Mines an LJ (the "tool truck") you're more than welcome to ride, hell I'll let you drive it. :driver:

Maple Lodge Cabin

1 ~ Eli
2 ~ Reuben (one night)
3 ~ Zach
4 ~ Brian
5 ~ John
6 ~ Chris
7 ~ Chris's Wife
8 ~

Ok this leaves 2 spots. Again the low down:

1 Spot:Full Reservation @ $37. Guaranteed bed/spot to sleep both nights.

1 Spot:Half Reservation @ $18. Guaranteed bed/spot to sleep one night. Bring a sleeping bag for the 2nd night on the floor.

Any beyond that we will have to work it out on a person by person basis. I am starting to wonder about parking etc also with all these vehicles. I may have to work with Janet on getting some parking up at arrowhead if we get too many tow rigs etc.

Mines an LJ (the "tool truck") you're more than welcome to ride, hell I'll let you drive it. :driver:

I'm really not familiar with the difference between a TJ and an LJ, but unless someone with a TJ chimes in I may just take you up on that. ThanX! :)

I'm really not familiar with the difference between a TJ and an LJ, but unless someone with a TJ chimes in I may just take you up on that. ThanX! :)

10" longer.
wheelbase
93.4 in (2,370 mm) standard TJ
103.4 in (2,630 mm) LWB LJ

Unless something else comes up I'll be there in my 03 TJ and you are more than welcome to ride or drive mine Granny. Hope to get my AC fixed before then, otherwise it might be to hot to drive.

I appreciate that offer, and may very well take you up on it. AC... Granny never had AC... I'll never miss it! :lol:

BIG CHANGES for the July work day, this applies to anyone staying in the cabin.

Bad news first. I sent an e-mail a couple months ago to Uwharrie Cabin Rentals about their cabin situation. At this point the 2 groups from 4x4wire that I wheel with had reserved both of their 4 person cabins. And I informed them that I would be reserving the 8 person Maple Lodge for the rest of the group. Come 4 days ago I check to see if its still available so I put in the reservation. They just now send me an email saying it was reserved all ready. I will just leave it at that.

Good news, I have arranged for us to stay at a different cabin. One that actually seems nicer than the Maple Lodge, its known as the "Underground House". The really good part is we are trading up really. This cabin seems a lot nicer than the Maple Lodge. Keep in mind the check in time is changing till 4PM . Here are the details:

Sleeping Arrangements:

3 Queen Size Beds (2 Bedrooms)
1 Leather Pull Out Sleeper Sofa
1 Air Mattress.

Other amenities:
2 Bathrooms
- Large Whirl Pool Tub & Rainfall Shower
Full Size Kitchen
- Coffee maker, refrigerator, oven/range, microwave, bar seating, dish washer.
Washer and Dryer
DVD/VHS w/ TV
Leather Sofa
Log Chairs/Tables
Game tables Bumper pool and air hockey and miniature ping pong
Fireplace

index.2.jpg

5-tv.jpg

awww.vacationrentals411.com_photos_l18913photo05.jpg

More Goodish news, exact location:

3743 River Road Troy, NC 27371

Its right near where River Rd. meets Highway 109. Puts us about 5 minutes further from the trails, but its not that big of a change in distance. Puts us about the same distance for the Outpost or Arrowhead etc. I actually drive right by there on my way up to Uwharrie considering I cut across River Rd to go from 24/27 to 109.

I've got a full and twin aero bed I can bring if we get into a "bed" situation. Let me know so I can charge the air pumps for them.

I would bring them with considering 3 of the beds are Queen sized (considering its 7 guys, and 1 woman). I am sure Chris and his wife won't mind the Queen Size bed, but those last 2 Queen Size beds may be an issue. I can sleep on what ever. For the big Uwharrie trips in April/October I have slept in my truck for many years. If any of you have slept in your truck (in the passengers or driver seat, not like a Suburban with all the seats folded down or what ever) you know what I am talking about.

Don't forget (the group of 3-4 interested) that we still have spots open. One full 2 night reservation at $37, and one 1 night reservation at $18. And I am sure if we absolutely had to we could work out a deal with another person or two. I don't want anyone not showing because they didn't have a place to sleep etc. :beer::beer:

yea we would still like to go but i have to get a net front axle before then or no go. thats why no paypal or nothing and it will be just 2 or 3 guys so we could figure out something when it gets a little closer in the week.

aimg641.imageshack.us_img641_2219_0710101137a.jpg

Had a productive day today at Northern Tool:

-The group donating $542 purchased a 2-Man Auger plus 8" Bit. You can see those 2 large boxes on my hood. Then while I was there I picked up some OSHA Safety Orange spray paint, masking tape, and 2 little mini cones (on sale for $2 a pop). Then on the way home I stopped by where a buddy of mine works and asked his boss about a cone they had sitting in the bushes. He said I could have it. So the cone on the left was free, you can't beat free of course.:beer:

Yes hooray for the heavy ass auger, lol. It makes the one-man augers the FS has seem wimpy. But it still will probably need an extension bar to give it greater depth. We will see how it does this work day first before we go throwing another $25 at it in an extension bar for the bit. :beer:

All right here is the loose schedule. The Friday part only applies to those showing up to stay in the cabin etc.

Friday:
I will be showing up Friday morning between 9AM-10AM.
From 10AM - 4PM I will be riding around getting stuff set up for the work day Saturday. Also might hit a few trails if anyone makes it out early.
4PM is Check in time. I will be at the cabin till at least 5pm.
6PM+ We will get an evening trail run together plus some kind of dinner.
Night run optional.

Saturday:
8AM Breakfast at the Outpost
9AM Meet up time at the Hunt Camp
Trail Work till LUNCH at 1/1:30PM
Trail work possibly till 3PM, depends on heat etc.
3PM-4PM Break at Outpost
4PM+ re-group at Cabin
5PM-7PM afternoon trail run.
8PM Dinner at Zeno's Italian.
Night run optional

I encourage everyone volunteering to stay for dinner and after work day trail riding. I know last time we only had a couple people stay for trail riding. But this trip we have a cabin for people to take showers if they so choose, and relax in the A/C between trail rides etc.

Keep in mind working time on the trails all depends on how the group feels with the heat etc. We may cut it early at lunch, it all depends on what everyone decides. On the flip side we may work past 3pm is everyone agrees on it. :beer:

My weekend plans have changed I went to the beach this past weekend instead. I will try to make it up there Saturday and help unless the old lady comes up with somewhere else to go. Do you know what trails you will be working on Saturday?

My understanding from an email I got from RS Savery is that there will only be trash pick up work done this workday, no guardrail installation or other heavy work. Is this your understanding also Eli? I was planning to come down but if it's just trash pickup I may not :(

AWWWWWWWWWWWW. Surely we could put up the guardrails already down the trail. We could seriously knock that out no problem.

Also there is still guard rails at the double parking lot from last month. If it's a FS don't have time to drag stuff places thing, a lot of it is already set for us to go, and most places marked where it goes.

I've done committed to the whole weekend, might as well get some real work done.

My understanding from an email I got from RS Savery is that there will only be trash pick up work done this workday, no guardrail installation or other heavy work. Is this your understanding also Eli? I was planning to come down but if it's just trash pickup I may not :(

Yeah I got the same e-mail, and that is how it reads. I called Terry today right after I got the e-mail but it was all ready 10 minutes after 4:30. I am going to call her cell phone tomorrow and ask her if we can still put up guard railing anyway since its all laid out for us (unless they picked it up). We have our own Auger now so it won't be an issue if we can't use the FS auger.

So everyone hold on tight till tomorrow. We were by ourselves last work day, and if the guard railing is still out there I see no issue with putting it up.

Back