Will you attend the work day?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Some of you may be thinking, Hey we haven't even had the 3rd work day yet (June, when this is posted). But I am organizing a special lodging opportunity for this July workday. If you camp/stay over night for the work days this is for you.

In the past people have avoided staying over during the summer work days because of the heat/humidity overnight. They don't want to sweat sleeping in their tent/vehicle at the campgrounds. So they don't make use of the free camping that the Forest Service provides. So for this summer work day we have arranged for lodging at a Cabin.

The Maple Lodge Cabin sleeps 8 people, and we have worked out the price to $37 per person for BOTH Friday/Saturday nights. 4 people have all ready reserved their spots, leaving 4 more left. This is a great opportunity for those that would like to make a weekend out of this. $37 a person equates to $18.50 a night to stay in a Cabin with A/C and amenities, which isn't bad at all.

Just send me a PM if you are interested. The sooner we get the spots filled, the sooner we can get the reservation in. After the June work day wraps up (#3), I will update this thread with the workday details for July. :beer:

All right everyone work day number 3 has wrapped up so here is the low down of work weekend number 4. Yes that is right, not work day, but work weekend.

Friday will be a more laid back day with the focus more on minor work. We will be focused on picking up trash as we ride the trails, allowing for a more relaxed/laid back start to the weekend. We will also be doing a trail work plan ride. This will involve riding Falls Dam (presumably) and going over where we will be putting up guard rail Saturday plus the plan of attack etc.

Saturday will be the main work day. We will again have breakfast at the Eldorado Outpost at 8AM. Then we will be meeting up with the Forest Service at the Hunt Camp at 9AM. Work will continue till lunch at 1PM-1:30PM once again at the double parking lot. At that point we will evaluate how much has been done, and decide (pending heat/weather etc) if we will continue or cut the day then.

After work is completed we will finish off the day with trail rides and a dinner at Zeno's Italian. We will head out Sunday morning/afternoon.

Now there are currently 4 Spots left in the 8 person cabin as I am writing this. It is $37 for BOTH NIGHTS (Friday and Saturday), which breaks down to $18.50 a night. You can't beat that for an A/C equipped cabin with beds. After those 4 spots are filled, that leaves 2 of the 2 person cabins. Those are $95 a night, so if you stay two nights splitting it with 2 people that is $95 a person. Quite a jump from $37 a person.

Now of course if you can't stay the whole weekend don't sweat it. Saturday will be the day to show up if you can only make a day trip.

If the Forest Service doesn't change the plans, the current understanding is we will be putting up guard rail again in July. We want to get up as much guard rail as possible, so we would like to have a Skidsteer Loader (Bobcat) with an Auger attachment if possible. I am going to look into a resource possibility out at Uwharrie, but if you want to donate to help rent one, or know someone that could donate the use of one please let me know. Beyond the Auger we will also need people to bring:

Sockets/Wrenches
Hammers
Chains - For Dragging Guard Rail
Post Hole Diggers
Rock Bars/Tamps
Shovels
Gloves
Water Coolers/Coolers
Easy Ups (Canopys)
Fold Out Chairs (For lunch etc)

A side goal for this trip is to have a more organized mobile rest area. Because if you thought June's work day was hot, you can almost guarantee July's will be hotter. Having a shaded area for people to sit and cool-off/get something to drink will be key. So feel free to throw any ideas out there.

Lastly don't forget if you buy one of the "Stickers On Stickers" Bumper stickers you can get your smaller yearly 2010 sticker to go on it on this work day. And if this will be your 3rd+ group work day, you can get upgraded to a gold.

Lets make this another great turn out! :beer:

Good to hear you plan on making it back!

More details on the Cabin, because it was brought to my attention there may be more questions.

The Maple Lodge is a 2 story cabin that sleeps 8.

maple_main_web_bk8g.jpg

I was talking to Chris the Outpost owner about this, and he said its located on Green Gap Rd near the Dickey Bell/Falls Dam intersection. Which puts us right near the trails.

The Cabin has a main floor bed room that has 2 twin beds, and an upper floor/loft bedroom that has a queen sized bed. That is sleeping for 4. In main area on the main floor is 1 queen pull out bed, and 2 roll away beds. That is sleeping for 4 more.

The cost for 2 nights is $300, we split that 8 ways you get $37 a person for 2 nights. Right now we have 4 spots filled, leaving 4 more spots. The cabin has A/C, a full kitchen, 2 baths, a big living room area, and a dining room area.

ahost.jwcinc.net_2300060436_cabins_Maple_20Living_20.jpg

(what you can't see is the dining room table behind the person taking the picture)

I know the showers and A/C will come in very handy after the work day. This was all set up because of people not liking the heat/humidity of the summer. Which has kept a lot of people from attending in the past. So at $7 more than the cost of a campsite rental, you get A/C, Showers, Beds, full kitchen, back yard fire pit area, etc etc.

ahost.jwcinc.net_2300060436_cabins_Fire_20pit_20Main_20.jpg

Something I was working on going with on of the old band flyers from back in the day. Just need ideas on what needs to be said.
Who we are or whats going on? Like I said I was trying for that band/music flyer style. Just whipped up ovr a beer or two.
aimg25.imageshack.us_img25_8083_flyertest.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

put nc4x4 in there somewhere and maybe other participating clubs. all vehicle types welcomed. etc etc.

I'm in for this one unless something crazy comes up. Hopefully I'll have the jeep back up and running by then. I'll be bringing my usual tools, including the battery impact that made putting up the guard rails sooo easy.

@ TSM: Looks like you got a good start to the flyer. Will shoot you some ideas when I get a chance.

A big hurdle we have to cover is what our tool coverage for this work day. Specifically some kind of Auger. Here are the options:

Rent a 1-2 Man Hand Held Auger
Rent a Tow Behind Auger
Rent a Skidsteer Loader w/ Auger Attachment
Someone that owns one of the above that would be willing to bring theirs?

Keeping in mind all of the above rental options involve people pitching in money, and ways to get the equipment up there and back to the rental place. Anything will be better than the busted FS Augers we had to deal with last work day. The last thing we want is a repeat of the last work day.

1 Auger is ideal, and 2 would be even better. But we will cover the idea of having 2 after we get over the hurdle of getting 1.

Also don't forget about the Cabin option for this year. We still have 4 spots open, which means half the cost of the Cabin rental hasn't been covered ($150). If you would like to stay again its only $37, a couple more dollars than reserving a campsite. :beer:

For Falls Dam Trail (NC 4x4) - They will be working on their own. I've talked to Eli yesterday and went over the Falls Dam workload. Starting from Falls Dam Trailhead I flagged several locations for new guardrail or where they needed to complete what we couldn't finish in March. They will have at least 15 people but they will only have 1 hand auger so Pete will make sure to bring one of our hand augers to Hunt Camp for you to use. I have it flagged very well so it is obvious where to put the guard rail. There are 3 pieces of 25 ft rails up at the Falls Dam Parking lot behind the guide rail fence on the opposite side of the parking lot from the kiosk. The total they need is 10 more 25 ft rails and 2 of the 12.5 ft rails and 25 posts. You'll have to drag the pieces in there. The very first location is within 50 ft of the parking lot where ATV's are driving off the trail around mud holes even before the big mud hole. Work your way down dragging as many as you can behind you. What ever rails & posts & nuts & bolts that are left over please leave them stacked at the Falls Dam Trailhead behind the fence around the parking lot. We'll pick the stuff up on Monday.

Ok this is from the June work day e-mail. I missed this e-mail because some how it ended up in my spam box, but I got the other one. Anyway. Adding it up there was 15 pieces of railing, and 25 posts. We got up 4 pieces of railing using 6 or 7 posts. Lets say 18 posts are left plus 11 pieces of railing. And to be honest there was stuff marked back in March that I didn't see marked this time around. So there could be even more stuff marked in the upcoming work day. More and more ATVs are making bypasses, so it seems every month there is more guardrail to put up.

And this is just one trail. I don't think some people get how vast the work load is for the trails now that the usage has increased exponentially in the last couple years. We could probably go out every weekend and still have work left over at the end of the year.

were is the guardrail coming from and are they the 25 ft pieces

Guardrail usually has to be dragged from the Art Lilley Memorial campground down the trail to the spots needed. This is how it has worked the last 2 work days we put up guardrail.

If I remember correctly we used the two 12.5ft pieces on the last work day, so its safe so to say we will at least have 11 of the 25ft pieces to put up. I say at least because by the time July rolls around there very well could be more railing to put up.

Put me down for the cabin. I'll be there sometime Friday afternoon. When will we get directions/locations to the cabin and all that?

Put me down for the cabin. I'll be there sometime Friday afternoon. When will we get directions/locations to the cabin and all that?

If you remember when we were talking with Chris (outpost owner) after the work day was over he mentioned it being on Green Gap Rd (Green Gap Shores Rd). If you look at google maps it should be right off the very end of Green Gap Rd. If you are wondering where Green Gap Rd is (6584), right before the bottom end entrance of Dickey Bell on 553 you make a left onto Green Gap. That puts you about 5-10 minutes from the trails.

If need be I will put together a map with the specific address/location before the work day. That leaves 3 more spots left at the Cabin. I know I said it before but you can't beat A/C, Shower/bathrooms, beds, kitchen, etc at $37 for 2 nights.

(Oh yeah, just let me know how you want do the $37)

Eli I may do the cabin too, but I won't know for a couple weeks. I may only be able to do a day trip.

I'd love to help out with a skidsteer again, but can't swing it financially this time. However, I may be able to throw in 20-40 bucks towards the rental of something. Will know more the closer we get there. Kinda strapped right now. :(

Eli I may do the cabin too, but I won't know for a couple weeks. I may only be able to do a day trip.

I'd love to help out with a skidsteer again, but can't swing it financially this time. However, I may be able to throw in 20-40 bucks towards the rental of something. Will know more the closer we get there. Kinda strapped right now. :(

Just let me know about the cabin when you find out.

I know all about being strapped for cash. That is me 24/7. Usually I just have enough money for the gas to get up there, and some food/drinks. Sometimes I don't have the money really but go anyway. :lol:

I'll paypal the money on the 1st(payday) and a lil extra for misc.

I'll paypal the money on the 1st(payday) and a lil extra for misc.
Not in a big hurry, just when ever you can. Its greatly appreciated (I know I have been saying that a lot lately, but its true).

is it being bought or is the forest service supplying it i help a guy put it up

I am guessing your talking about the guardrail/posts. The Forest Service provides the guardrail/posts, we just drag them into place and put them up.

Update on the Skidloader thing, I plan on making a stop by Bobcat of Monroe to see what kind of deal we can work out if anything at all. Its a long shot but I may have a way to get my foot in the door over there so to speak.

But the skidloader is really a long term deal. Short term we still need to arrange for an auger to use for this work day. Lets eliminate our free options first. Does anyone that owns an auger plan on attending/bringing one with?

All right update time. The Auger situation is being taken care of so we don't have to worry about that. Next up is the Cabin situation:

1 ~ Eli
2 ~ Reuben
3 ~ Zach
4 ~ Brian
5 ~ John
6 ~
7 ~
8 ~

We currently have 4 people staying at the Cabin. That means only half of the rental cost is covered right now. Remember its $37 for both nights, which is about $18.50 a night.

Next up is the cone/sign deal. It looks like this will be our first work day with the cones/signs. So it should be interesting to see how effective they are.

Breakfast again will be 8AM at the Outpost. This time around we will also be stopping back by the Outpost after the work day has wrapped up for post-work refreshments. Lunch will be at the double parkinglot/Terry's Hotdog stand per usual. And don't forget about trail riding after the work day is over, and dinner at Zeno's Italian that night. We have a full day planned this coming work day, so don't miss out. :beer:

me and 2 others have been talking about coming up and staying when would we need to be there on friday and when would we have to pay???

You can show up anytime Friday, but check in time at the Cabin is 3pm. Paypal before the work day is preferred for the $37 per person, but the latest to pay is when you show up Friday in cash. Because I understand not everyone has a paypal, and money can be tight right now. As long as you get it to me by that Friday we will be good.

Im like 95% sure we will all make it but it will be late so is there an address i can get to the cabin and cabin # or pm me your # or something prob won't be able to make it till around 10pm or 12m depending on when i get home from work prob around 6pm Thanks Travis

Back