**updated**-Dave Ramsey anyone?

Wife and I are still holding strong. Got our cashline at the bank paid off which was costing us the most interest, paid off a small doctor bill that has been hanging over our head, and next up is my wife's car payment. it hasn't been easy, but we know in the long run, it will work out for the best.

Next thing you know, you'll be calculating by how many years you can beat the standard retirement age! Start here: When Can I Retire? Early Retirement Calculator / FIRE Calculator - Engaging Data

Man, If I could just pay off both our cars and just have the mortgage, I would be thrilled.

And when you pay off both those cars THEN you can get that mortgage paid off. It's a whole different world when you don't have a house payment due every month.

And when you pay off both those cars THEN you can get that mortgage paid off. It's a whole different world when you don't have a house payment due every month.

Pretty sure I've said it in this thread before, but that's usually where I jump off the debt free bandwagon (and other 'free' money scenarios). I get it, there's peace of mind having your house paid for...most notably if you lose your job, you don't have worry about coming up with a payment. But that's why I always advocate having a 6-12 month safety net, plus savings, plus checking, plus whatever you stuff in the mattress or safe. If you can piss through all that and not find a job, I'll understand why you lost your job. The other scenario would be if you have a 1980's interest rate...in which case, I'd advise someone else handle your money entirely. Otherwise, you can mathematically come to a break even point after all tax implications where you're either net positive on paying off early OR sinking the extra mortgage money into a fund. With a 15 year mortgage and 3.5ish% interest rate, my break even time frame was like 5-6 years...wasn't really possible cleaning up other debts and needing free cash for other ventures, so I took the excess to pad my retirement plans. The big variable(s) is where you currently sit with mortgage and how much you have in retirement. If you're young, with a fresh mortgage, pad that retirement. If you're older with 5-10 years left on your mortgage and a retirement plan in place already...toss it at the mortgage. If you're old with a mortgage and no retirement...plan on moving in with your kids. But overall, if someone wants to offer me money at 5% or less, I'll take it.

Last edited:
Today, I am a real-life example of 'shit happens' and why the principles discussed in this thread are so important. I just received a large pay cut due to a corporate initiative to balance pay scales across all divisions of the newly-formed Mega Corp. I'll refrain from jumping on my soap box about it, but thankfully we learned to live below our means many years ago (seems like yesterday) and there won't be any impact on our lives other than limiting my wheeling fun.

Today, I am a real-life example of 'shit happens' and why the principles discussed in this thread are so important. I just received a large pay cut due to a corporate initiative to balance pay scales across all divisions of the newly-formed Mega Corp. I'll refrain from jumping on my soap box about it, but thankfully we learned to live below our means many years ago (seems like yesterday) and there won't be any impact on our lives other than limiting my wheeling fun.

Sorry to hear! I usually have a passenger seat open, and it doesn’t cost me any extra for you to ride. Always welcome.

I don't know where you work or what you do, but the simple math is that the "new" employer values you less than the old one. I'd definitely see what else is out there.

Hate to hear that for you. Sounds like a millennial must be running the company now making sure everyone gets equal pay. I should probably be more thankful for my pretty consistent .gov job instead of complaining as much as I do.

Last edited:
Hate to hear that for you. Sounds like a millennial must be running the company now making sure every gets equal pay. I should probably be more thankful for my pretty consistent .gov job instead of complaining as much as I do.

The policies being put into place by our new overlords are laughable. For example, there is actually a new initiative to hire some undefined number of transgender employees. Also, the CEO said that the executive leadership team must be half women (from 0) and they’ve invested millions of dollars into programs to groom women within the organization to fill these positions. What’s hilarious is that they’ve asked the men who would be next in line and are qualified to fill these jobs to train the women. I think that people should be hired or promoted based on qualifications rather than minority status, but that could be my white male privilege talking.

The policies being put into place by our new overlords are laughable. For example, there is actually a new initiative to hire some undefined number of transgender employees. Also, the CEO said that the executive leadership team must be half women (from 0) and they’ve invested millions of dollars into programs to groom women within the organization to fill these positions. What’s hilarious is that they’ve asked the men who would be next in line and are qualified to fill these jobs to train the women. I think that people should be hired or promoted based on qualifications rather than minority status, but that could be my white male privilege talking.
Forgive my ignorance but isn’t that in itself a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen?

Forgive my ignorance but isn’t that in itself a discrimination lawsuit waiting to happen?
You would think so, but it's very difficult to prove.
As long as they say "half women" and not "we aren't hiring men" then the argument will always be that technically a man has a chance at "some" of the spots.

I get investing in having more diversity and female representation. But the only way that makes sense is to start at the ground level and invest in training etc and wait for your investment to catch up over time as people rise to their ability rather than placing folks right in the top when they may not be properly prepared for the job

One would certainly think so, but unfortunately those folks get a pass on the rules the rest of us have to abide by.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Going woke always works out in the end.
The following image is from February of 2015.
I started my current job in may of 2015. 5 of my co-workers made the same move between August and December of 2015.
Purely coincidental...and not about equality but about the manner in which it was carried out

attachment.php

I started my current job in may of 2015. 5 of my co-workers made the same move between August and December of 2015.
Purely coincidental...and not about equality but about the manner in which it was carried out

attachment.php
Man, you were a lot skinnier back then!

attachment.php
And putting your coffee cup on you back belt loop looks gayer than a rainbow Cummings.

attachment.php

This is the only time putting the G in Cummins is acceptable (and frankly, appropriate).

Sounds like some of those guys next in line need to start dressing as women. Problem solved, they get the executive positions because they are now transgender (because who is going to argue with a woman with a weiner), and are already qualified.

Back