**updated**-Dave Ramsey anyone?

My wife and I have an agreement not buy each other "crap" for the sake of the Christmas spirit. We have each dropped little hints gift-wise. Like a ceramic dutch over for her and a better helmet light for me. But no need to just buy crap that will sit in the closet rarely used.
I will gift @thebrotherinlaw with a shotgun ride in my Ranger at Chocco next month. Aside from allowing him to marry my sister, what more could he want?

And herein is a prime example of why I don't think Ramsey's methodology is the be-all-end-all. From a finance perspective, 0% interest is free money so I'd sit on that until the end and knock that $1,400 out as fast as possible. Dave would tell you to pay the $600 and then snowball that into the $1,400.

My advise on the Christmas thing, don't postpone this until after because there will always be "something" after. Learn how to make changes and make it work. It will be challenging, but this is the whole point of the TMM. It's a lifestyle change and one that simply requires you to adjust your mindset. Don't succumb to the notion that showing the people you love on Christmas requires spending money on them. This is one of the reasons I'm not a huge Christmas fan (Thanksgiving FTMFW as it's just about spending time with family over some damn good food). The whole commercialization of Christmas is absurd to me. I encourage you to share with people on what you and you're wife are trying to accomplish for the betterment of your entire family. Forewarning, you will get people that are totally stoked for you and others that wonder why in the world anybody would want to do this. Just stick to your plan and know you will come out MUCH better on the other side. That said, if they can't be supportive about what y'all are trying to do and get all butt-hurt because you didn't buy them anything...to hell w/ 'em.

Yeah, I think our mindset on Christmas alone changed last year when we had our daughter. The days of us buying each other extravagant gifts were over and we were just fine with that. This year, even more so. I think the time has passed where it was cute to be broke.
My dad has always been this way, he would much rather us all spend time together rather than worry about gifts and spending money none of us had to get people things they didn't need. I honestly think we chose a good time to start this whole money make over deal, we are at a point where we aren't in too deep to where it would be fight or flight, we can actually do this and be ok. Sure, it will be an adjustment and might mean us not being able to do certain things, but I know its all for the better.
I have been praying for a financial blessing for a while, not because we can't put food on the table or pay our bills or can't buy our daughter clothes and shoes, but to get us ahead and learn to be wise with what money we do have, and maybe this is it. Maybe @rcalexander lending me a copy of this book is the Lord giving me the tools to achieve a financial blessing in the form of becoming debt free.

I have been praying for a financial blessing for a while, not because we can't put food on the table or pay our bills or can't buy our daughter clothes and shoes, but to get us ahead and learn to be wise with what money we do have, and maybe this is it. Maybe @rcalexander lending me a copy of this book is the Lord giving me the tools to achieve a financial blessing in the form of becoming debt free.
this is the best statement in this whole thread.
Right on, brother.

this is the best statement in this whole thread.
Right on, brother.
Couldn't agree more! I'm hopeful He has laid the groundwork for you and your family, @Cherokeekid88, and this is only the beginning of many blessings to come.

So the wife and I are beginning the first steps with the total money make over and with Christmas coming up, Its gonna be tough and we thought about just postponing it till after the Holidays but you know what? We don't need to go for broke when it comes to gifts...Wife and I will exchange 1 gift each, our daughter will be the main focus and everyone in the family will get 1 gift card per couple and will get the kids 1 present each.

I am sort of thinking the same way as you... My lowest bill owed is about $600, but is interest free. Next lowest bill is about $1400 with 10% interest, so tackling the bill with the lowest amount/paying interest would be the smartest thing to do and would free up more money monthly.

Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.

Like someone else said, you should pay off the one accruing interest first bc it's costing you money.

Like someone else said, you should pay off the one accruing interest first bc it's costing you money.
yeah yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Just couldn't word it right. Lowest amount that is also accruing interest vs lowest amount that is interest free.

I started doing that about 6 years after divorce... was about $50K+ in the hole, not counting mortgage.
Spreadsheet'd everything out, paid off the ticky-tack stuff (her charge cards, etc.) with <$100 balances and moved to lowest balances accruing interest.
When one was paid off, the amount that was previously being sent was applied to the next.
Didn't starve or go without anything, but hunkered down, and came out smelling like a rose in under 3 years... versus the dog:poop: she left me with.

I started doing that about 6 years after divorce... was about $50K+ in the hole, not counting mortgage.
Spreadsheet'd everything out, paid off the ticky-tack stuff (her charge cards, etc.) with <$100 balances and moved to lowest balances accruing interest.
When one was paid off, the amount that was previously being sent was applied to the next.
Didn't starve or go without anything, but hunkered down, and came out smelling like a rose in under 3 years... versus the dog:poop: she left me with.

Ditto my friend.
Post-divorce in 2006 I had to put the $200 for a new suit for my mother's funeral on a debit card and 2 credit cards at the store. That was an eye opening financial event for me. That very day I changed the way I saved, invested and spent my money.
Sold my crawler, tow rig and trailer to pay off credit card debt, drove fixer uppers for a few years while I saved money. Stopped going out to eat and learned to cook. Fast forward about 2-3 years and things had turned around.
It just takes time and discipline to see the benefits.

We did this last year plus a sub-$20 gift from Santa...absolutely loved the concept. Christmas is a weird time for me, I’m an adult, I buy what I want when I want, and do the same for the wife. Between me, my wife and 2 kids...we spent less than $250. Easily quadrupled that on ‘everyone else’ which was roughly 17ish people. This year I told everyone I’m not buying gifts for anyone over 18...what I will do is give them the option of 1) don’t do anything 2) give what I’d spend on them to the local children’s home or 3) make a donation to the organization of their choice in their name. I just hate the commercialization and what’s ultimately become a massive gift card exchange or net comparison of I spent this on you vs you spent this on me. That shouldn’t be what it’s about.

We did this last year plus a sub-$20 gift from Santa...absolutely loved the concept. Christmas is a weird time for me, I’m an adult, I buy what I want when I want, and do the same for the wife. Between me, my wife and 2 kids...we spent less than $250. Easily quadrupled that on ‘everyone else’ which was roughly 17ish people. This year I told everyone I’m not buying gifts for anyone over 18...what I will do is give them the option of 1) don’t do anything 2) give what I’d spend on them to the local children’s home or 3) make a donation to the organization of their choice in their name. I just hate the commercialization and what’s ultimately become a massive gift card exchange or net comparison of I spent this on you vs you spent this on me. That shouldn’t be what it’s about.
Christmas gifts from us to non-kids are either (1) hand made things (2) something that is kind of silly or sentimental, like rediculous slippers or a super ugly sweater nabbed on clearance or (3) donation to preferred charity

Every year Rachael makes a calendar that has a series of pics of our kids from different ages during that month, and everybody's birthdays on the calendar. This calendar is the gift to adult siblings on both sides. Costs us $10 and makes everyone happy

Depending on the recipient, it's liquor or a book. The grandparents also get framed photos of the kids from the year.

Depending on the recipient, it's liquor or a book. The grandparents also get framed photos of the kids from the year.
I better not get a book.... ;)

Agreed. Been there, done that.
My Ex left me buried in debt and lies about said debt.

Ditto my friend.
Post-divorce in 2006 I had to put the $200 for a new suit for my mother's funeral on a debit card and 2 credit cards at the store. That was an eye opening financial event for me. That very day I changed the way I saved, invested and spent my money.
Sold my crawler, tow rig and trailer to pay off credit card debt, drove fixer uppers for a few years while I saved money. Stopped going out to eat and learned to cook. Fast forward about 2-3 years and things had turned around.
It just takes time and discipline to see the benefits.

Kinda bottomed out myself, but managed to keep the toys.
Through the grace of God and my beloved daughters.
Life is good!
And a continuing life lesson ya know...
;)

How do y'all handle / track reimbursable business expenses?
My biggest two are parking and gas. Parking, meals, project related items are a straight 1:1 reimbursement, fuel and other vehicle related items are handled on a per business mile basis. Some months I could only have two in town meetings, other months I could be driving to Wilmington, then Rocky Mount, then Charlotte.

Right now, my budget spreadsheet does not show any money for these items since they're irregular and reimbursed.

My biggest two are parking and gas. Parking, meals, project related items are a straight 1:1 reimbursement, fuel and other vehicle related items are handled on a per business mile basis. Some months I could only have two in town meetings, other months I could be driving to Wilmington, then Rocky Mount, then Charlotte.

Right now, my budget spreadsheet does not show any money for these items since they're irregular and reimbursed.
It seems to me that anything that is 1:1 is straightforward - get your refund ASAP, and then there's really nothing to track. You didn't make or lose any $$.

Personally I like to use irregular non-direct reimbursable as a way to force saving extra $$. For instance I get POV rate for driving my car to the airport. I just drive and pay the gas and don't track it as anything unusual, then when I get the refund for mileage that goes into savings. For me this works well b/c my reimbursed expenses are small enough to not make a notable difference lumped in w/ the normal monthly.
E.g. the extra 150 miles a month average compared to the 1100 I'm already doing isn't noticable, but after a year of it in savings it adds up.

If you have a car w/ decent fuel economy and do your own maintenance, POV mileage reimbursement is fantastic.

I lived this before I ever heard of him and I just recently taught the course at our church. It's great stuff. After the course was done I listened to FU Money. I don't read much, but I listed to audio CDs while driving. Anyway FU Money is almost the opposite end of the spectrum about money. He even mentions Dave, lol. They both have very valid points. The thing with Dave's is that anyone with persistence can do it. The FU money is more on the crazy-high end side of things and most people can't. Still it was a good book, but I wish it wasn't so vulgar.

I have to say, the wife and I are 2 weeks in and reading through the book and still holding strong. I know its only been 2 weeks but seems like the wife and I are on the same page. Shopping for our little girl is done and we didn't go ham. Used coupons and shopped around. Wife and I will exchange 1 small gift and the rest of our family is getting wither gift cards to go out to eat or a small gift. Got our bills in order in which they will be paid off in and have actually sort of recruited another couple to get on board. This thread is really inspirational and will read through it every so often just to get the juices flowing.

heck yeah!
They are called baby steps for a reason. Keep rocking.

FYI - store this nugget away. Ive learned it and lived it on both m financial journey and my weight loss journey over the last year.
'When shit happens, and shit will happen. You will impulse buy something stupid, or something unexpected will come up, etc. As soon as you recognize it. Accept it and move on. That slip up isnt the reason to throw the whole plan away. Just re-organize and march along. Dont let a $500 mistake turn into a $20k one...

Good luck, man

I'm going to 3x or 20x the switch to a credit card instead of using a debit card. Despite reading Ron's and others story on here a few times before, I used only a debit card for MANY years until mine got hijacked about a year ago. My wife and I ended up getting COSTCO VISA cards and EVERYTHING goes on those cards now. We then just pay the bill in full every month.

On his show Dave usually says to run this type of expense in a separate "business" account which is only used for those reimbursable expenses. So you would need to seed that account once at the beginning (say for your highest $ month you've had) and then it just runs itself down - and then back up once the expenses are reimbursed. Jump in if I misspoke, but I think that's usually his advice.

Forgot to buy more of the instant oatmeal one of the kids likes for breakfast... I was super tempted to try Amazon fresh delivery because TWO HOURS but then considered the min. $35 purchase, plus tax and they even suggest a tip for the driver... That's $42 just to get sub-$2 box.

I can make a reasonable facsimile with regular oats, milk, a little maple syrup, and brown sugar. Little man can deal with it bc life lessons.

After reading this thread, just ordered the book and the workbook. Stumbled across this thread with rather fortuitous timing as I’ve been stressing over finances a lot lately. With both us having our first kiddo AND me turning 40 last year (double whammy!!!), having the wife wanting to move, etc is adding up to where I am like, something needs to fundamentally change.

Last edited:
Back