Trailer build up is finally under way ( pics)

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
I think* he means the ends of the boards, so they do not all terminate at the same place.

If correct ... WHY?

I do not see the big deal???

If you look at this pic you can see I doubled up the center.. so the end of each board is attached to its own support

attachment.php

Yeah, stagger like on a deck. Its no big deal, just for looks mainly. Sometimes it helps to distribute the load a little, depending on your supports under the wood.

Its just how I do mine and how I've seen many other trailers done.

mainly personal preference, like painting it black or red or whatever color you want.

Rob

If you go back to post #25 and #37 you will see a weak spot in his trailor. The gap where the angle from the tongue stops and the channel under the axles stop. the angle is not suported there and that is where it could fail.

Well I must admit I was very nervous to build a car hauler that will carry my Jeep and cars around on.. because I hear so many things about strenght.. etc... but after building this one and paying a lot more attention to trailers used everyday.. I am 100% satisfied with my work and I do nto see any problems areas with it at all.. sure there is always things that I would have done different, etc... but you can only learn by trying...

So thanks everyone for all your input but I will take my home built any day over some of the ones I have seen on the road and at trail heads :)

oh and almost last update:

Everything is done except I need to attach safety chains....

So plan is to role it out Sunday :)

Well it is finally done and sitting at my house :)

trailer%20041.jpg

trailer%20042.jpg

trailer%20043.jpg

Specs:
16' Deck
82" wide
2"x10" wood deck
2- 6000lb axles
brakes
LED lights
10,000lb rated tongue, and ball/receiver
15" wheels
7000lb Jack

looks good ! Any plans for fenders?

Where did you get the axles from ? Im still planning to stretch my trailer some and need some extra capacity for the camper..

yager said:
looks good ! Any plans for fenders?

Where did you get the axles from ? Im still planning to stretch my trailer some and need some extra capacity for the camper..

ya I am gonna add fenders later (well if it will pass inspection tomorrow without them)

I just have not decided yet how I want them..

I got my axles froma local place (whata mess that was) I will tell ya later..

Is it me or does that trailor already look like it is bowed down. I hate to keep making bad comments on it but an unsafe trailor can get someone hurt.

junkman said:
Is it me or does that trailor already look like it is bowed down. I hate to keep making bad comments on it but an unsafe trailor can get someone hurt.

It actually looks bowed in the center up, which is fine IMO, since weight will help to level it out. - Kinda like the flatbed semi trailers

Besides, a little bow by itself doesn't make it unsafe.

Rich said:
It actually looks bowed in the center up, which is fine IMO, since weight will help to level it out. - Kinda like the flatbed semi trailers

Besides, a little bow by itself doesn't make it unsafe.

I think that theory will work if the load was put at the peak of the bow, compressing it. But won't the wheels of a vehicle sit at then low points of the bow, making it bow more?

I don't think his XJ weighs enough to bend it, I just looked at that trailer and it's stout. My only concern is that the tires look real close to the trailer, like about 1". But it's probably not an issue.

Bad News.
Trailer brakes kept locking up when i was stopping and i can not figure out brake controller so i disconnected the wiring from truck and tied it around trailer and on way to work it fell down and dragged on ground so plug is half gone .. now i need to re wire it :(

I'll be damned

as for bow in trailer, yes it does have bow...

Reason: when i built trailer I made outside perfect square then I raised it off ground to make it easier to weld.. then i cut cross braces and layed them onto steel left over night came back and welded all cross bracers in.. well guess what I welded in the bow OOPS...

but as stated by Rob i honestly do nto think it wil cause any problems and neither does DMV. as it is licensed and registered already.. trailer passed with flying colors.. and yes he really did inspect it (i took it to DMV office to get it inspected)

He gave me lots of praise and said he has not see a homebrew this nice in many years :)

So yes it has a bow and yes i wil still tow with it that is if i can figure outt his damn brake controller...

thecarman said:
But won't the wheels of a vehicle sit at then low points of the bow, making it bow more?

You're right... absolutely right. Brain fart.

The hardest thing about this build was getting it out of shop yesterday by myself :)

I could not get any help when I wanted help so I got impatient and did it myself....

SOme day I will learn to wait

looks good! don't want to ask you to share an exact price, but did you save money vs. buying a pre built one? how many hours would you say you have in it?

RufusTheRam said:
looks good! don't want to ask you to share an exact price, but did you save money vs. buying a pre built one? how many hours would you say you have in it?

I have no problem...

Steel = FREE
wood = $140
bolts = $25
tires = FREE
Wheels = FREE
Axles, leafs, brakes, u-bolts, etc = $ 550
Jack = $ 50
Tongue = $ 40
Receiver = $ 20
4 D-ring tie down = $ 20
fenders = $ 40
stickers = $15
brake away box = $40
trailer wiring = $40
safety Chains = FREE

Labor of hrs = 60 is my estimate

so supplies cost = $ 975
Labor cost = $ this depends on what you think your labor is worth

As for me I learned so much doing this and I really like saying YES I built it that it was well worth it to me :)

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I think you did a great job. How much do you think you'd have in it if you'd have had to buy the steel?

Thanks

Not sure.. but if you wanted to find out call a steel place and ask them what 4x4 angle 1/4" thick cost for a 20' stick then multiply by 6. and there is yoiur answer for the amount of steel used

Well towed jeep around town last night and trailer towed great.. :)

so I will find out how it really is tomorrow when I hit the road

BRUISER said:
Well towed jeep around town last night and trailer towed great.. :)

so I will find out how it really is tomorrow when I hit the road

Congratulations dude! Looks good.

I'm surprised your total was that high with free steel. Shows why trailers cost what they do because I know you're a frugal guy.

Well took the truck and trailer up to Tellico and it towed great..

Truck could use a littl emore power but otherwise no problems :)

Attachments

• towsetup1.jpg
    towsetup1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 545
Back