Trailer build up is finally under way ( pics)

BRUISER

silent.. but deadly
"Bring it back from old forum"

It seems as if I always have a project to work on.. well I finally started one that I have been wanting to build for some time.

I will do my best to document the build up here for others to follow

I am going to be building a 16 foot deck that is 82" wide
the main outside is 4x4 angle 1/4 thick
the cross braces are also the same size.

more to follow in coming days

All pics of build up so far are here:
http://www.impaks.com/trailer build up.asp

trailer%20015.jpg

trailer%20025.jpg

welded some more steel onto trailer so I could located hangers for leafs.
still need to trim some steel so hangers and leafs willnot hit but it is all in due time.

trailer33.jpg

Well had a short night at the shop tonight.

Pretty much we just stood trailer up on it side so I can finish welding the seams..

... ya it was just a little heavy with just myself and Scott.. next time I flip this thing I am gonna ask for help :)

http://www.impaks.com/trailer_day_5.asp

trailer_side%20002.jpg

trailer_side%20007.jpg

Well sorry about the long delay in updates just been very busy.

I finally finished all welding so I painted the bottom of trailer and it is now ready to be flipped and see what it looks like when on axles.

http://www.impaks.com/trailer_day_8.asp

painter_trailer_bottom%20001.jpg

painter_trailer_bottom%20003.jpg

Ok we have now flipped it over once again and set it on the old axles to see how it would look, and we also welded on the tongue jack, and the stop bar

http://www.impaks.com/trailer_day_9.asp

trailer_top%20006.jpg

trailer_top%20008.jpg

Merry Christmas to me :)

Well I got one set of rear LED tail lights installed and I hope to have another set installed in about a week. ( hope to have pic soon )

but the best present was that I got 2 brand new axles at 45% off :)

awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_124258_lg.jpg

rear of trailer will look like this... kinda like a 18 wheeler trailer

Attachments

• trailer_rear.jpg
    trailer_rear.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 891
Nice job Ken ! Where'd ya get the LEDs ? $ ? Been wanting to put them in the Jeep.

JB

Rockeater said:
Nice job Ken ! Where'd ya get the LEDs ? $ ? Been wanting to put them in the Jeep.

JB

Northern Tools :)

Never been real happy with angle for the main frame on a trailor. C channel will support more weight. Looking at your design I would say weld 6 or 8 inch high rail down each side to support the frame. Otherwise when you hit a few potholes with it loaded your frame will likly sag..

junkman said:
Never been real happy with angle for the main frame on a trailor. C channel will support more weight. Looking at your design I would say weld 6 or 8 inch high rail down each side to support the frame. Otherwise when you hit a few potholes with it loaded your frame will likly sag..

A tube top rail is strong. My 16' trailer I just sold had a tube top rail. The rest of the trailer was made of angle iron. I like the looks of his trailer.

junkman said:

Well I am not and was not worried about strenght at all with angle iron.. i talked to guys that build trailers for a living on that.

But now that I am going to modify trailer even more I will have to add a c channel frame to bottom.. you will understand more once done and I take pics.. not adding for fear of strenght adding cause i GOT MORE STEEL FREE :)

One excuse is good as another. BlueRidgeRunner has a good example of strengthening the angle iron frame.

every time I build a trailer that will haul a vehicle/tractor or any trailer I fab with dual axles, I always use channel for the frame.

Heck, for my 6x12 trailers, I use 3x3x3/16 angle and they have a 3000# load rating.

I'm building a 30' 2 car trailer and am using 6" channel for the frame of that one and 4" channel for the floor supports.

Rob

I agree with the side rails on a angle iron trailer they are usually there to help with flex..

So what exactly you doing now ken?

-mike

I am going to be adding c channel about 1.5 feet in from side then cut side peices and drop new axles in... kinda hard to explain but will make sense once i get back to work on it.. i have to finish this jeep i am working on

Well I finally have stopped working on everyone else's projects and I am almost done with this trailer build

I have all lights wired up, new axles, going to install wood deck this weekend, and then all I am waiting on is tires to go onto the rims...

Looks as if it will actually be rolling in a week or so.

Attachments

• shop 015.jpg
    shop 015.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 753
Back