Trailer build up is finally under way ( pics)

pic 2

Attachments

• shop 016.jpg
    shop 016.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 707
If only one axle has brakes, which should it be - the rear axle or the front?

The front axle should have more weight on it, so maybe the brakes should go there?

I don't know which one it is on my trailer - can look this weekend.

thecarman said:

All the trailers I've ever seen with two axles and one with brakes, it's been on the rear axle...Don't know why...

I could see the rear axle braking being better for trailer stability. The farther rearward the braking force, the more it wants to keep the trailer straight in line with the tow vehicle?

You should have run that channel the entire lenth of the trailor . It is still not a strong design. Your wheels will sit in front of and behind the channel. All your weight will be supported by the angle.

BRUISER said:
Merry Christmas to me :)

Well I got one set of rear LED tail lights installed and I hope to have another set installed in about a week. ( hope to have pic soon )

but the best present was that I got 2 brand new axles at 45% off :)

Has Northern got axles for 45% off? I could use set of 5k axles.

thecarman said:

IIRC, the rear... It has to do with the cantilever shackle unloading the front tires under braking (wants to rotate the front of the braked axle leaf down, which raises the rear of the idler axle, etc...)

Well it 95% complete

all lights done, all wood on deck and bolted down...

Only thing left is a little painting and tires :)

Attachments

• trailer 029.jpg
    trailer 029.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 757
looks good. Only thing I would have done different is either stagger the boards or get full length boards.

Are those carriage bolts for the boards?

FWIW, the nuts will come loose and you will have loose boards. Try nylock nuts or swap to self tapping (not self drilling) decking screws available at Grainger or Fastenal. Same screws used on tractor trailer flat beds to attach the decking.

Rob

rockcity said:
looks good. Only thing I would have done different is either stagger the boards or get full length boards.

Are those carriage bolts for the boards?

FWIW, the nuts will come loose and you will have loose boards. Try nylock nuts or swap to self tapping (not self drilling) decking screws available at Grainger or Fastenal. Same screws used on tractor trailer flat beds to attach the decking.

Rob

I am adding a secong but to each bolt so they can not come loose with lock tight :)

awesome. I had that problem with the nuts coming off no matter what I did, so I just use the decking screws now. They are much easier to install also.

rob

Do you think they would still back off if you used lock nuts? Not the nylon inserted ones. i can see how regular nuts would back off with the wood.

Motorman said:
cool, can i borrow it to go to tellico? week after 4th of July of Grant can go

Well I will let ya know how it tows 1st :)

The nylock nuts shouldn't come off, but the carriage bolts rust and when the boards are loose/old and you gotta remove them, they are a pain in the a$$. Re-check them everyonceinawhile...

Good luck putting nylocks on carriage bolts without the heads turning. It can be done, but its a pain.

Rob

rockcity said:

what did you mean by stagger???

Back