The Coffee Thread

Another vote for Black Rifle Coffee Company for me. AK47 or CAF. I'm not a huge coffee person but those two I actually like. Similar ratio of milk to coffee as @CasterTroy

Fun fact...I'm in their F*Ck Isis music video standing on a tank. Random Vegas happenings.
I have wanted to try BRCC for a while but didn't know how good it actually was. Might put some on my Christmas list this year to try.

@trailhugger washing the basket thing is annoying. I don’t mind the paper filters, can’t taste the difference, but I’m totally convinced that fresh grinding makes a huge difference.

I can drink it black if it’s good coffee. Prefer just a little cream and sugar though, guess I need to man up!

Ain't no shame in a smooth Salma Hayek. I'll take that over a bitter Grace Jones ANY day!

My BIL was always fond of saying "I like my coffee like I like my women, blonde and sweet"...his wife would shoot back "My hair is black as coal asshole"..."I like it Strong and dark as well"...they'd basically perform this routine to any roadside diner waitress who presented the opportunity....

...I’m totally convinced that fresh grinding makes a huge difference.

It does.

I'm gonna be that guy, and say that I prefer a French press. :D
They suck to clean though, so I only use it on the weekend. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so I use the French press because it's small and makes enough coffee for me and no one else. I just don't like messing with coffee machines because the press is so simple. I can't tell the difference between it and a filter machine though.

...Black or gtfo.

This for sure.

I'll drink most any medium roast to dark roast black coffee. I'm also a fan of BRCC CAF, as we keep it stocked for the office keurig. My go-to at home is Cafe Bustelo. It's hard to beat the convenience of a keurig, but I do enjoy a good cup out of the french press.

This for sure.

I'll drink most any medium roast to dark roast black coffee. I'm also a fan of BRCC CAF, as we keep it stocked for the office keurig. My go-to at home is Cafe Bustelo. It's hard to beat the convenience of a keurig, but I do enjoy a good cup out of the french press.

I have a little Bialetti Moka pot that I make Cafe Bustelo in on the stove top. Throw in some Demerara sugar and you have a loose version of Cafe Cubano.

We used to have a guy at work that would grind and press every time he made a cup. He saw me drinking out of the pot one time and made me a cup his way. It tasted just like the stuff that comes out of the Keurig.

A different guy makes cafe Cubano sometimes. That stuff is good, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as coffee. It's more like sweet espresso.

folgers, everyday... creature of habit I guess, have been drinking it oh, forever.

we had many normal coffee makers, (cats, love them but they were the devil to an empty pot left on the counter, swiped them off the counter 3 times, shattered each time. got a Kureig)

then used the kureig for about 5 years.. working from home now, I needed more than one cup. So we bought a cheap maker from Target.... sidenote the Kureig was gross as hell on the inside when we threw it away, even though we always did all the maintenance on it regularly.

A different guy makes cafe Cubano sometimes. That stuff is good, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as coffee. It's more like sweet espresso.

It is espresso. The Demerara sugar and type of roast is what makes it Cuban, but technically you can't really make it without an espresso machine, because there isn't any other good way to get high enough temps for the sugar to hydrolyze (something like my Moka pot won't work for that). If you're ever in the Miami area, get some there. It's amazing. I pig out on Cuban flan and Cafe Cubano after every meal when I'm there.

Last edited:
He says he makes it the same way his grandma makes it, so that's good enough for me.

I’m a one-cup-per-dayer. It’s the very first thing I do when I wake up and don’t talk to me until I’m at least halfway through it. I prefer brewing it in a pot but use Kcups just because we drink no more than two cups on any given day and it’s so convenient. Wife’s go to is donut shop but I like variety. A touch of sweetness and some cream for mouthfeel is where it’s at.

Me too. I do the iced coffee thing since most of the year I don't do hot liquids. during the winter/fall months starting here recently I'll get a cup of hot coffee from a gas station for about a buck 29 and it's my comfort drink on the way to work everyday. My usual morning routine from the time I wake up is one cup of coffee and a big fat dip of some grizzly mint or I'm a complete asshole.

BDDF6B3C-9579-439D-A675-2A2C1891684C.jpeg
Jan ‘05 Northern Iraq. Local habeeb grounds. Ghetto stove. Coffee is life and it doesn’t matter I always love my coffee and have for years!! Oh, I’m on the left enjoying my combat cup!

My usual morning routine from the time I wake up is one cup of coffee and a big fat dip of some grizzly mint or I'm a complete asshole.

Then it's poop time!

I'm not a big coffee drinker, although I do like it. I make a few pots a week for the gf, she's a fiend, and I always grind the beans for each pot. I took a work trip to Honduras two months ago and brought back some beans that are pretty amazing. We also passed by a coffee bean processing plant and that was the most heavenly smell I've ever let grace my nostrils!

Then it's poop time!

I'm not a big coffee drinker, although I do like it. I make a few pots a week for the gf, she's a fiend, and I always grind the beans for each pot. I took a work trip to Honduras two months ago and brought back some beans that are pretty amazing. We also passed by a coffee bean processing plant and that was the most heavenly smell I've ever let grace my nostrils!

In fact, yes!

I have a little Bialetti Moka pot that I make Cafe Bustelo in on the stove top. Throw in some Demerara sugar and you have a loose version of Cafe Cubano.

Im not a coffee drinker but my buddy’s mom (she’s Puerto Rican and married to a Cuban) made us some cafe con leche and cafe cubano, and I would drink either of those anytime. I seriously considered buying a greca espresso maker after she made it for us. Cafe Bustelo is what she used as well.

WOW, just WOW!

Until I read this thread, I somewhat considered myself a coffee snob. But, no longer.
I drink coffee from the time I wake up till I go to bed. Many of my friends who come over, usually go to the pot to get them a cup. For my friends, family I keep several different types of sweeteners on hand. I even have one friend who prefers powdered creamer, I keep that too. A far as brand, I usually buy the Aldi's brand. Sometimes Folgers or Maxwell house when it's on sale somewhere. Here at home, I drink it out of one of either two cups. I porcelain cup with all the presidents on it. Well at least all up until the time it was bought for me. IT goes up to George W. My son bought it for me when he went on an 8th grade trip to DC, He's 32 yrs old now. The other cup I drink from is one of maybe 5 20 oz. Feti types. Maybe even the larger one when I know I am going to be outside a while. The way I like it, and make it is comparable to restaurant coffee. like Shoney's, Awfulwaffle, or the like. After 23 years working in restaurants, it's what I grew use to, and to be honest, I like it! Everything I drink out of is measured for the sweetener. I use Stevia. 1 packet for my presidents cup, 2 packets for my 20 oz cup, and three for my bigger Feti. And when I take off on a wheeling trip, I will fix a thermos, which will have 4 packets in it. I also put a lil bit of milk in each cup too. I also use the washable filter basket, seems this coffee maker wanted to overflow with a paper filter. I have two of the exact same coffee maker, one for the camper, one for the home.

I had never tried Starbucks or any coffee shop coffee until a few years ago while on a weekend trip to Gatlinburg. I wasn't pleased at all with what I was given when I ordered just plain coffee, even less with what they charged me. I couldn't finish it. Later we went to another coffee shop, to me the same as a starbucks just a little bit cheaper. Was maybe a lil better, but I am probably basing that on what it cost, vs Starbucks. I was nearly going into DT's until I spied a Shoney's! We went in there and I drank several cups, so did she, and even with the tip, it was way less than what we had got at even the cheaper of the above mentioned coffee shops.

Same lady had a Kerig, or how ever you spell that frightful machine. It too was awful IMO. I added some water and it seemed to help.

I will say, while at the moment, I only have a couple drip-u-later's, but I do prefer a perc-u-later.

Only difference in what coffee I drink is when I go camping, esp now with the slide in vs the Bigger RV, I get some of those sealed pouches type(Maxwell House) so there is less mess.

So compared to a lot of folks on here, I am no coffee snob at all. Kinda like those who want the expensive beer vs the natty light or Bud light.

1540551525577-1723560870.jpg

Good morning..a small cup to get going.

Back